Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Didn't say he looked amazing, by the way.
:baletroll:

I did think he gave us a little more spark when he came on - though that was mostly by working with Lamela.
Didn't say you did mate, sorry if I gave that impression.

But the fact an individual highlights package is already up is I think a bit odd. Spurs fans fawning over a player, they have never seen play before and when he does put in an appearance they go all wow, wow, wow even though there was no wow. It's fucking bizarre behaviour.

Today's match appearance reminded me of this photo

1786528.main_image.jpg

What's most exciting about Edwards for me is that when he gets the ball, you're just sort of wanting him to do something special. The sort of player that will get you off your feet, I feel we haven't had that type of player since Lennon in his prime. I know we had Bale but there was honestly nothing like when Lennon got the ball running at full pace against a full back and ruining them.

I just find myself wanting to see more of Edwards and watch him grow with this young team that we have.

And I rest my case........completely OTT reaction to his performance. Best thing he did was to show some bravery on the ball, commendable for a 17yr old.
I was really impressed but it was the first time I have seen him play. You are right he didn't do anything really remarkable, however you can just tell he has special ability just with his control and touches on teh ball. I liken it to Alli last year in preseason the first time seeing him. You can just see he has "it".

...I feel we haven't had that type of player since Lennon in his prime. I know we had Bale but there was honestly nothing like when Lennon got the ball running at full pace against a full back and ruining them.

True. Funnily enough, one of my favourite memories of Lennon was not even playing for Spurs. It was a clip from Sky Sports of an England training session. John Terry was defending, and Lennon ran at him with the ball. He shimmied left and right so many times, Terry simply fell over backwards in a heap (at least that's how I saw it!). Pissed myself laughing - just wish I could find the clip again.

He was decent today, lacking a bit physically but it will come. I hope he isn't loaned out this season, he won't necessarily make an impact, but he can definitely get minutes imo

Didn't say you did mate, sorry if I gave that impression.

But the fact an individual highlights package is already up is I think a bit odd. Spurs fans fawning over a player, they have never seen play before and when he does put in an appearance they go all wow, wow, wow even though there was no wow. It's fucking bizarre behaviour.

He may not have done anything particularly brilliant today, but you can't knock people for being excited. Sometimes, you watch a player and can just tell he has something special. That's not to say he'll make an immediate impact; you could see it with Lamela too, even when he was playing badly, there was a special player in there somewhere. No one can say how Edwards will perform this season but there is little doubt in my mind that he is headed for the top.

Last edited:
Average performance but he was playing against some serious professionals.

Looked nowhere near a first teamer. Definitely think a loan to the championship side should be in order.

Like anyone else who played today, it's way too early to make a judgement - it's pre season.

Let's wait and see how the lad does if he gets a chance in some real games this season.

I certainly don't think he looked out of place when he came on today, but I think that's more of a reflection of how average our "first team looked" than how impressive Edwards looked.

I don't think we have anyone like him in our offence who can win us free kicks with some ease based on his balance alone.

True. Funnily enough, one of my favourite memories of Lennon was not even playing for Spurs. It was a clip from Sky Sports of an England training session. John Terry was defending, and Lennon ran at him with the ball. He shimmied left and right so many times, Terry simply fell over backwards in a heap (at least that's how I saw it!). Pissed myself laughing - just wish I could find the clip again.
Agree. Could remember the way Ashley Cole and Erva struggled with Lennon when he first bursted into the scene. Defenders know nothing about him. Very bright spot in a very average Spurs side. Nothing wrong with being excited with a bright young player coming in. Supporting football is about being excited and showing it. Edwards can go either ways but always fun to be excited for now... Dominquez, Dalmaat, Tarrabt, Lennon... false dawns but exciting aren't they..

We shouldnt overhype or put to much pressure on what will be the next Messi, we must give him time and space to become as good as Maradona.

:angryscouser:

Marcus Edwards time line 2016:

The best young player in the EPL every team wants to poach from us - quick, sign him up - 1st pre-season game down under - "let's loan him out to championship team"

:dierno:

Back
Top Bottom