Scott Houghton with an afro - Marcus Edwards

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's a pro contract, as he'll be 18 in December. You can't sign a pro-contract until you're 17, which he did not when he turned 17 and seems to have been in a stand off since, waiting on a guarantee that he will get game time, as he could earn 10 times as much and not play for City/Chelsea.
Still can't say 100% what type of contract it is though. Spurs are adamant that they will not break their pay structure for academy (FWIW - I think this is the right policy, even if we loose a player), as the tweet makes no mention of money it could quite possibly be a revised academy contract incorporating first team squad number and game time but still on £45k pa. Or it could be a pro-contract for the New Year.

My guess is it's a revised academy contract, same money, with squad number and playing time. Playing time will obviously have strings attached in that he would have to no doubt train well enough to warrant same kind of selection (a lot harder to do this year without EL). We all know he has been offered stupid money by other clubs, but he will know the clubs after him have no track record of playing anyone from their academies.

This deal shows commitment from us, shows we rate him and that we trust his ability. It also rewards him a window for him to prove himself. The timing is perfect in that Kane, Bentaleb and Alli (may be Pritchard, Onomah, Winks) are young players who didn't focus on money but focused on playing and are now getting rewarded for it, so it shows we are not bullshitters. Focus on playing well, getting selected, getting noticed. If he takes his opportunity and shines like Kane and Alli, he knows we will reward him and he will continue to play because we have a manager who encourages it.

Or he flops in training doesn't get selected and fucks off to Citeh or Chelsea to be loaned out to Vitesse never to be see again apart from dropping off his diamond encrusted Doris at the nail bar in his Ferrari.

he looks a talented boy, but can he do it when John Terry is stamping on his achilles and hollering friendly racial insults in his earholes (just bantz, innit, Your Honour)

Still can't say 100% what type of contract it is though. Spurs are adamant that they will not break their pay structure for academy (FWIW - I think this is the right policy, even if we loose a player), as the tweet makes no mention of money it could quite possibly be a revised academy contract incorporating first team squad number and game time but still on £45k pa. Or it could be a pro-contract for the New Year.

My guess is it's a revised academy contract, same money, with squad number and playing time. Playing time will obviously have strings attached in that he would have to no doubt train well enough to warrant same kind of selection (a lot harder to do this year without EL). We all know he has been offered stupid money by other clubs, but he will know the clubs after him have no track record of playing anyone from their academies.

This deal shows commitment from us, shows we rate him and that we trust his ability. It also rewards him a window for him to prove himself. The timing is perfect in that Kane, Bentaleb and Alli (may be Pritchard, Onomah, Winks) are young players who didn't focus on money but focused on playing and are now getting rewarded for it, so it shows we are not bullshitters. Focus on playing well, getting selected, getting noticed. If he takes his opportunity and shines like Kane and Alli, he knows we will reward him and he will continue to play because we have a manager who encourages it.

Or he flops in training doesn't get selected and fucks off to Citeh or Chelsea to be loaned out to Vitesse never to be see again apart from dropping off his diamond encrusted Doris at the nail bar in his Ferrari.

Why would they want a nearly 18 year old highly-coveted, perhaps the most exciting youngster we've had in our academy, to sign a contract that offers the club no protection whatsoever? Or even a pre-contract?

He was offered a pro contract in December.

Why would they want a nearly 18 year old highly-coveted, perhaps the most exciting youngster we've had in our academy, to sign a contract that offers the club no protection whatsoever? Or even a pre-contract?

He was offered a pro contract in December.
Forgive me, I got his Birthday wrong I thought he couldn't sign a pro-contract until THIS Dec.

That said, we will not break our financial policy for him, as we open a can of worms that will spread throughout the whole academy and pros (Ali is on £20k pw, Kane £45 pw and these are now World stars!!). So this is a good compromise agreement for him and club, ties him down & on low fees but he knows he is given an opportunity to play which he would't get elsewhere. If he plays well he will get offered a new contracts like Kane. If he continues to attract the likes of Citeh and Chavs the option of him leaving to follow the money is still there, probably improved his chances of even better deal. (Pogba, Alli & Kane could command some of the highest wages in football right now).

Anyway, he is still on a contract with the club, a scholarship contract, which was the initial reply I made in my response.

Forgive me, I got his Birthday wrong I thought he couldn't sign a pro-contract until THIS Dec.

That said, we will not break our financial policy for him, as we open a can of worms that will spread throughout the whole academy and pros (Ali is on £20k pw, Kane £45 pw and these are now World stars!!). So this is a good compromise agreement for him and club, ties him down & on low fees but he knows he is given an opportunity to play which he would't get elsewhere. If he plays well he will get offered a new contracts like Kane. If he continues to attract the likes of Citeh and Chavs the option of him leaving to follow the money is still there, probably improved his chances of even better deal. (Pogba, Alli & Kane could command some of the highest wages in football right now).

Anyway, he is still on a contract with the club, a scholarship contract, which was the initial reply I made in my response.

He is on a scholarship contract, but it's as good as worthless, as we can't play him for fear of bringing attention to him, and if he decided to leave for someone else we'd get buttons.

A professional contract would protect against this.

That would be fantastic news. We can try to convince ourselves as much as we can, but losing this lad before even kicking a ball, would be devastating!
Let's hope this is gospel...

I think we need a League Cup squad this season... with Marcus Edwards in it...
The likes of Bentaleb/Mason/Carroll/ Walker-Peters/Onomah/Odowu could get game time... and all the way to Wembley if they REALLY want to,and put their minds to it..

Hey, it would still be a trophy to aim fir!

The likes of Bentaleb/Mason/Carroll/ Walker-Peters/Onomah/Odowu could get game time... and all the way to Wembley if they REALLY want to,and put their minds to it..

They were bemoaning the lack of playing time in the league for young English players on talksport, and basically banging on with the usual "things need to change" spiel that gets rolled out every time England disappoints in a tournament.

Their main point was that no one in the premier league takes responsibility for developing youth players over buying in foreign talent. I thought it was a little harsh on teams like us and Everton, even if one of our main motivations for having an established youth policy is to supplement our transfer budget.

Still, it made me think that one of the benefits of playing so much Europa League football over the last ten years or so is that we've had the opportunity to give minutes to young players without taking the risk in the league and we won't have that this year. #firstworldproblems

Last edited:

we are one of the clubs who have been invited to enter an acadamy team into the former Johnston's paint trophy for this season (16 acadamies that have been credited to a certain level have been invited)

EFL Trophy: Competition format confirmed to include Premier League academies

its been reported we may say no

Kirby can have fun at Vitesse.

I hope Edwards can live up to the hype, would be awesome to have another special academy player.

Maybe it's worth something, maybe it's worth nothing - but either way, it seems he is training with the first team

july14_730c.jpg

...unless Pritchard and Mason have been sent to train with the youth squad :allitongue:

Back
Top Bottom