Scottish football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Celtic Vs Rangers this evening. Just heard Sky announce it as the biggest derby in British football?!

WTF????

S2ES.gif

It's quite sad. If teams like Bournemouth, Burnley, Brentford and Brighton can survive and sometimes thrive in the Premier League then teams like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen could too. Decent size city teams who could be something if they weren't trapped in a league with the gruesome twosome sucking out all the oxygen.

It'll never happen but I'd love to see a British league as long as the home nations national teams could keep their status. I'd leave Celtic and Rangers out though, they've got nothing but poison to bring to the table.

It's got a strong case of being so, there isn't really any in English football that have the utter venom between the two clubs the Old Firm does.

Forget the quality of the league these days.
Well I don’t know about ordinal ranking but the old firm is massive. Long rivalry, two clubs with big fan bases and grounds, and some good matches over the years.

Up there with the NLD for the top spot. Manchester went calm post Kippax and the Merseyside is only gaining heat now. The other big ones are regionals like the Tyne-Wear or Black County

How poor is scottish football? - Joe Hart and CCV in the best combined team line up!

That's also bollocks, McGregor is still a top tier keeper (just ignore the last match, he seemingly used all his clangers from the last few years in it). After seeing Hart play for us... He is not

It's quite sad. If teams like Bournemouth, Burnley, Brentford and Brighton can survive and sometimes thrive in the Premier League then teams like Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen could too. Decent size city teams who could be something if they weren't trapped in a league with the gruesome twosome sucking out all the oxygen.

It'll never happen but I'd love to see a British league as long as the home nations national teams could keep their status. I'd leave Celtic and Rangers out though, they've got nothing but poison to bring to the table.
With respect, I completely disagree. The Scottish league has its own unique character and is part of Scottish football identity. I love SPL games and the unique atmosphere you get up there. It’s brutal, edgy, hilarious and just very, very Scottish. If they joined our leagues they’d all be in the lower reaches of the EFL. The money and fan base of even a Brighton, Brentford etc dwarfs anything outside of the OF. I do agree with your point on the OF though - don’t want any of that bigotry and poison near us. It’s bad enough with the Chavs, Spam and Scousers.

With respect, I completely disagree. The Scottish league has its own unique character and is part of Scottish football identity. I love SPL games and the unique atmosphere you get up there. It’s brutal, edgy, hilarious and just very, very Scottish. If they joined our leagues they’d all be in the lower reaches of the EFL. The money and fan base of even a Brighton, Brentford etc dwarfs anything outside of the OF. I do agree with your point on the OF though - don’t want any of that bigotry and poison near us. It’s bad enough with the Chavs, Spam and Scousers.
I disagree. Theres nothing inherently small about the likes of Hibs and Hearts. There were 20,000 at Easter Road last night. That's twice as many as the 10,000 Millwall got last night. It's also more than Swansea got last night. It's more than Brentford get in the Premier League.
Even if they were in the lower reaches of the EFL, well when I was growing up in the 90s the very idea of Swansea, Cardiff, Brighton, Burnley or Brentford ever playing PL football would have seemed unlikely. But they all have. Theres no telling what the ceiling of those clubs would be if they had access to the same sponsorship and TV money of even the most mediocre clubs in England.

I disagree. Theres nothing inherently small about the likes of Hibs and Hearts. There were 20,000 at Easter Road last night. That's twice as many as the 10,000 Millwall got last night. It's also more than Swansea got last night. It's more than Brentford get in the Premier League.
Even if they were in the lower reaches of the EFL, well when I was growing up in the 90s the very idea of Swansea, Cardiff, Brighton, Burnley or Brentford ever playing PL football would have seemed unlikely. But they all have. Theres no telling what the ceiling of those clubs would be if they had access to the same sponsorship and TV money of even the most mediocre clubs in England.
In Edinburgh, way more people support Celtic and Rangers than Hibs and Hearts. I lived there for years. The attendance you quote is an anomaly. Check out this and recent seasons. Only Hearts could hope to get over 20k regularly in any league. Scottish clubs and towns / cities are tiny compared to England. They’d get nowhere in the English leagues and with a diluted local rivalry, Scottish football would die.

In Edinburgh, way more people support Celtic and Rangers than Hibs and Hearts. I lived there for years. The attendance you quote is an anomaly. Check out this and recent seasons. Only Hearts could hope to get over 20k regularly in any league. Scottish clubs and towns / cities are tiny compared to England. They’d get nowhere in the English leagues and with a diluted local rivalry, Scottish football would die.
I lived there for ages too, almost my entire adult life. I think we have to agree to disagree. I think both Hibs and Hearts could easily survive in the English leagues.

I agree, Scotland to improve should become England and leave Glasgow a principality.

:allitongue:

Back
Top Bottom