Season Expectations

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't want this to be one of those threads where you predict what will happen this coming season.

What would you like to see from this season.

Most people will have low expectations, myself included.

Few things I will be looking out for aside from the major stories like Kane and Romero.

1. GLC. Could be a massive season for him and if he does well I think the team could thrive. He played well in the Copa America, he's going to be my one to watch this season. Arguably the most important player for us if he can make us tick from the middle of the park.

2. Another low key one. Sessegnon. After signing Gil not sure how much game time he will get. But Reguilon and Davies at LB aren't the greatest options. Ryan could really play a role if given a chance. Tbh it will depend on what system we play.

3. Nuno’s tactics. I'm of the opinion a wing back system suits our squad best. I don't know if NES will play that. I'm looking for tactical flexibility from Nuno. He tried moving to a back 4 with wolves which didn't work, and I think he should have gone back to wing backs when he was with them. I've noticed high press in the pre season games and trying to play out from defence. At the moment both tactics need more work but signs are there that we might play some actual football this season which is what we were crying out for last season.

This is the first time ever that I am coming into the season with no expectations. I don't see any positives or things to look forward to with the season. Even in the past two Jose years where I started to dread how terrible we would play I still thought we could overcome Jose and win with our talent, but don't think that anymore.

I will still get up and watch every week, and care too much about every little result and play, but for the first time I will not expect us to have a successful season. Hopefully it will result in a season that is easier to follow than the Jose years.

Maybe we will make some big additions in the transfer market (lol) that will change things but I doubt it. Perhaps I will be interested in how Romero transfers to the PL, I think he is very talented so hopefully he works out for us.

I expect a rocky start. New manager, short preseason, transfers (in and out) unresolved - its inevitable things are unsettled and there will be an adjusting period to the new way of playing.

There after I expect us to be quite fun to watch, to be going for it more, fitter, more aggressive (and probably inconsistent), and Ill be looking for improvement over the season.

No great expectations tbh.

Expect us to be in and around the European places most of the season if Harry stays and plays.

If we make the squad changes we need I could feel more optimistic, hell, probably even if not as I can't help myself and I hate dwelling on a negative outlook, but optimism and hope aren't the same as expectation.

Depends on our business between now and the end of the window, but I figure we'll finish 5th or 6th. If Kane stays and we bring in a few more starters there'd be a chance of fourth.

For the season, I'd like to see... somewhat feasible: one of Reguilon/Sessegnon develop into a top LB. Skipp to prove himself as a PL midfielder. Lo Celso to stay fit and show his quality. Romero to look the real deal. Gil to start out as a difference maker from the bench and play his way into semi-regular PL starts.

Things I don't really see happening and seem like too much to wish for, but would be great to see : Bergwijn proving himself a high level PL attacker. Nuno sorts out Ndombele. Lucas being even half as effective with g/a in PL games as he is in pre-season / Europa League. Tanganga staying fit and really laying a deserved claim for RB, not just playing there because... who else? Rodon becomes a worthy partner to Romero at CB. Mid season injury to Raphael Varane ignites renewed Manchester United interest in Eric Dier, 40m bid in January

I want to see us keep buying/selling as necessary to address the weaknesses in the squad. We have made a start but there's a lot to do. I don't think we'll be able to fix everything, but hopefully we will make a couple more additions at least.

So my expectation/hope is that we start going in the right direction again.

Genuinely moderate.

I see this season as one of consolidation, with the hope that we don't flirt with the lower reaches of the PL on the one hand and the belief that we might see one or two players stepping out of the shadows.

usually unrealistic... this year top six and a trophy, either ECL or a cup. id also expect Winks and Dele earn joint players of year, mostly thats a wish to see the apolpletic repsonse....

First and foremost a return to playing good football that is enjoyable to actually watch.

New players Gollini, Romero and Gil integrated into the side as quickly as possible
Although I expect Gil to take longer to adapt so hope his performances are getting better and more rounded towards the end of the season.

A season where Lo Celso can stay fit and kick on and be the consistent player we all know he can be.

Sessegnon and Skipp to be fully backed and given opportunities under Nuno.

Winning ECL (the teams who will play in this competition are dog shite) making winning very achievable with the squad at Nuno’s disposal.

An end to the Harry Kane saga sell him and move on

Make the stadium a fortress and beat Woolwich, Chelski

Back
Top Bottom