Sell the lot, buy English youth?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just throwing that into the mix, he's only two years younger than his bro' who is tearing Europe up, a few of this age group who might need £5M towards Brum once he starts playing if rumours are true he's equal level, plus another section of funds for 19-23.
Oh I'm all for buying up talented youngsters, it was a "Jobe/G.O.B." joke.

Arrested Development, great show

Yeah great idea sell Kane and Son our two best players.

This isn't Fifa and also that's just plain stupid. That's no way to make a good squad.
Is it not? Some could argue that it is indeed exactly how you make a good squad considering our circumstances. Can you not conceive of a way to 'improve' by selling both of those players? Is there not a potential XI that you can put together that, in a year to three, would be better that what we project to be otherwise? Last night Kai Havertz, the object of derision by many on this board, at 21 and in his first season stepping up in a new league and new country sent his team to glory. I think back to the many misses by Kane and Sonny in the Juventus game both before and after they equalized... Why can't we be better without them...other than the fact that your brain can't conceive of it or your emotional attachment won't allow it? It's time to move on. In fact, it should have happened a few seasons ago. I was game for it.

You keep doing the same thing and you will continue to get what you always got. Imagine if we had both brains and balls 2 seasons ago and sold Kane and went in for Haaland at 37M. How would things look right now? Or imagine we went to Monaco the year Mbappe was 17 and we played them in Europa and made a deal for him.

You have to scout and recruit well but it is foolish to suggest it can't be done or that it isn't the exact way that a club that is not top dog should handle the market. Just because our club has a shit process doesn't make the concept unsound.

High high likelihood to develop as his bro has physically, scout and sign this type, be 'the new'.
We won't. He will cost money and thus have attendant risk...so we won't.

McNeil can play left wing or left side in midfield. He's only 21, maybe 22? But he's fast, had 2 goals and 5 assists in the league for Burnley this year. Doesn't seem like a lot but it's hard to tell how much that is due to Burnley not attacking.

Numbers wise he is comparable to Townsend but he seems faster and obviously much younger.

He has been in the England U21 side a few times this year with Skipp, Sess, and Tanganga.

I'm sorry but McNeil is not fast, even an old Townsend has more in his legs. McNeil is more of a technician type player but isn't actually as gifted as people seem to think. He's a mid table player at best.
Ben White not good enough? Can't say he stood out in games I watched, but only Vs us... Hear good reports and links upwards.
White is good enough and has a lot of potential, but he would cost upwards of 25-30m with the English tax and teams like Brighton benefitting greatly from huge TV deals nowadays.

I don’t see why being English should be a selection criteria.

Need a few for home growns obviously but we should be buying any kids who are good, why stick to English players?

Technically its not English players we should be seeking - its players who have gone through PL academies, as its these which have raised the standard of footballers coming through enormousely in the last decade.

And that's the opinion of many foreign coaches which is why a number of youngsters now choose to go abroad to play - and the why the likes of Dortmund (Sancho. Bellingham) are keen to sign them up.

But looking at English youth teams is an easy way to find most of the best youth (perhaps 90% ) coming through.

It's clear Englands youth has technically flourished in recent years, IMO, we should pick up every young kid we can in key areas up to £25M, and cycle the rest to foot the bill, attepmt 6 or so this summer, maybe two foreign and 4 of the best U23 English. Then another 2-4 the following window, if the squad still needs more running and youthful will.

This is the England u18 side who beat Wales a few weeks ago, which is a typical squad ...... and the number of those players not already at a top club really is not large (highlighted in blue for ease).

England (4-4-3): 1 Hubert Graczyk (Woolwich), 18 Ethan Ingram (West Bromwich Albion), 4 CJ Egan-Riley (Manchester City) , 6 Jarell Quansah (Liverpool) , 21 Callum Doyle (Manchester City), 16 Aaron Ramsey (Aston Villa), 8 Alex Robertson (Manchester City), 7 Karamoko Dembele (Celtic), 10 Shola Shoretire (Manchester United), 19 Daniel Jebbison (Sheffield United), 11 Louie Barry (Aston Villa)

Substitutions: 13 Tobi Oluwayemi (Celtic) for Graczyk 46', 2 Daniel Oyegoke (Woolwich) for Ingram 46', 3 James Norris (Liverpool) for Doyle 46', 5 William Fish (Manchester United) for Quansah 46', 14 Carney Chukwuemeka (Aston Villa) for Ramsey 46', 15 Alex Scott (Bristol City) for Robertson 46', 17 Samuel Edozie (Manchester City) for Dembele 46', 23 Kwadwo Baah (Rochdale) for Shoretire 46', 20 James Balagizi (Liverpool) for Barry 46', 9 Liam Delap (Manchester City) for Jebbison 46'

So I make that 3 players from that squad which are at clubs who might sell youngsters for the right money.

We are better off if we can recruit at a younger age and get them to join our academy ...... and anot easy as we are always competing with not only Woolwich and Chelsea in London but also ManCity et al.

Come on Spursidol Spursidol this is mana from your heaven, no? todd1882 todd1882 bus-conductor bus-conductor ?

Ok you've flattered my ego.

This is a list of players who I would expect to be on loan next season, and with a good loan might be decent options to become a squad player. A few of them might well appear in our next pre-season (which will start in early July so only five or so weeks away) :

Brandon Austin (GK), Timothy Eyoma (RB/CB), Marcel Lavenier (RB/LB),
Dennis Cirkin (LB), Harvey White (CM/DM), Jack Clarke (AM), Troy Parrett (striker).

But the odds are probably a maximum of one or two of those half dozen playes will. And we might see more of Alfie Devine (CM), Nile John (CM) and Dane Scarlett (striker) next season as they probably will not be out on loan and will used off the bench, espacially in europe r domestic cups.

Happy if we pick up a couple of good young prospects in the 17/18/19/20 year old age groups too ......

Aurier, Sissoko and Kane all want out. More than happy for the first two to do one. Get £150mn for Kane if he is determined to leave.

Try and get Grealish and a couple of others. Haaland if it was remotely possible.

Aurier, Sissoko and Kane all want out. More than happy for the first two to do one. Get £150mn for Kane if he is determined to leave.

Try and get Grealish and a couple of others. Haaland if it was remotely possible.
Really ? Neither of those would sign with us.

Best we can do is get a few from list B and make them into a decent team.
Leicester have proved that if you buy well it can all come together.
AND they can come with us on the alternative journey through Europe.

Just watch the academy if you want to see predominantly English and under 23s.

You don't build a 63k seat billion pound stadium to buy inexperienced kids and finish 14th.

I would imagine clearing out Aurier and Sissoko may marginally improve Kane's opinion of staying.

Assuming we replace them.

I would imagine clearing out Aurier and Sissoko may marginally improve Kane's opinion of staying.

Assuming we replace them.
I think we make a mistake when we assume Kane's views of the situation at the club line up with ours as fans.

Clearly we're both fed up with Levy's miserliness, but when we know Kane would rather have Mourinho as manager, I think we can safely assume opinions further diverge from there.

McNeil can play left wing or left side in midfield. He's only 21, maybe 22? But he's fast, had 2 goals and 5 assists in the league for Burnley this year. Doesn't seem like a lot but it's hard to tell how much that is due to Burnley not attacking.

Numbers wise he is comparable to Townsend but he seems faster and obviously much younger.

He has been in the England U21 side a few times this year with Skipp, Sess, and Tanganga.
He’s much better on the ball than Andros, passes the ball well and makes good decisiions

McNeil is not good enough. He's an Everton/Villa signing and we want to be above that.
Maybe but we need to build to be better then that. With the money Levy will spend we will need to fill some positions with players who "might not be good enough" and hope they do well for a few years until we replace them.

I think McNeil would be a good, cheap option to replace Lamela for a few years while we invest more in other positions.

Back
Top Bottom