Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Played in pretty much all their games so far and they seem pretty happy with him.

As a Spurs fan happy that £3m plus KWP got us Hojbjerg who may go down as signing of the season and a contender for player of the season.

I'm not sure what any of this has to do with anything.

But yes, £3m + Hojbjerg is one of the best bits of business we've done in years.

So how do you explain Aurier's change in performance from last season (and feel free tp look back throughout the thread at the many people who wanted him gone last season) to this season where, particularly in the last few games he's looked better and better and much more like the PSG we thought we bought than his brother that turned up and played at Spurs until the last few months ?
He HASN'T CHANGED!!!

This is Aurier, this is the Aurier I've been watching for over two seasons now. I have numerous posts backing this up in this very thread, boring monologues on why he's good, analytical data to back up everyword. It's all in here. Arguments with posters telling me that Tripps was better than him hahaha.

The issue is with those that thought he was shit.

He HASN'T CHANGED!!!

This is Aurier, this is the Aurier I've been watching for over two seasons now. I have numerous posts backing this up in this very thread, boring monologues on why he's good, analytical data to back up everyword. It's all in here. Arguments with posters telling me that Tripps was better than him hahaha.

The issue is with those that thought he was shit.
He had a difficult first year but since then hes been fine. Most people are lazy and stick to lazy narratives.

So how do you explain Aurier's change in performance from last season (and feel free tp look back throughout the thread at the many people who wanted him gone last season) to this season where, particularly in the last few games he's looked better and better and much more like the PSG we thought we bought than his brother that turned up and played at Spurs until the last few months ?
I am amazed anyone would need this explaining. His role is entirely different from last season. The purchase of Reggie has totally change the nessecity for Aurier to provide width from the right we played a lopsided fullback with almost all penetration coming via the right. Ben Davis then tucked in as effectively a left Centre-back with zero responsibility to attack. Its why Aurier was constantly caught ahead of play (he wasn't always that diligent about getting back either). He is now playing much more as an orthodox RB as Reggie is a brilliant attacking left-sided player. In a word our side has BALANCE. Oh and PHE take a bow 🙇‍♂️

He had a difficult first year but since then hes been fine. Most people are lazy and stick to lazy narratives.
Even his first year was blown out of proportion IMO. He did have a terrible habit of not staying on his feet, multiple times over-committing himself. My theory for this was we were one of the most aggressive/high tempo teams in the most aggressive high-temp league. I think he was over compensating for this.

That, combined with a penalty he gave away in Madrid and people have slaughtered him. If you look back at the pen again, I don't think he has any choice, it was throw yourself in at the player and hope he puts him off and/or the ref doesn't spot the foul or dose and gives the pen where there's still a 30% chance of the taker missing. It would appear that people prefer out defenders to do fuck all!! Oh, don't forget the foul throws to get all hot under the collar about. He got sent off against Southampton, another change to lay into him, it didn't matter that Bertrand dived to get him his 2nd yellow, no Spurs fans blamed him for that (whilst almost turning the other way when Son turns out to be our red card mistro).

It is, yes.

And it is also possible to convey the opinion that he is a better option than the man who is his direct competition for a place in our starting XI.

Besides, I liked Alan Hutton........
charles esten cheers GIF by Nashville on CMT

What I honestly like from him compared to last season, aside from the much improved defensive display, is that he’s not brainlessly throwing balls away. When he joins the attack he doesn’t cross aimlessly like he used to last season. He tries to pass inside, or in half spaces if there is someone making a run. Also his cleareances are more intelligent, he doesn’t lump it forward just to get rid of the ball and pressure, he tries to play the ball to other team mates’s feet and that not only gives us the opportunity to counter-attack or attack positionally, depending on the case, but also relieves pressure on our defence, because if he lumps it forward, the opponent would likely regain possession immediatelly, so another attack to defend against.

And of course we now have midfielders who know what to do with the ball so he’s probably more confident to give it to the guys who are more creative and dynamic. Hell, even Sissoko is looking to pass it forward here and there which surprised me tbh.

What will be interesting to see imo is if his consistency is sustainable throughout the season. I still think he’s due a brainfart but so far he coped very well with what he’s been asked to do.

Last edited:
He played almost every game for us last season, even after his brother had been killed, so was in the spotlight constantly. Naturally his mistakes would have flagged up more often. He has had his brain farts but I've always liked him. Jose's worked out his strengths and how he can best help balance the team. This season he's looked like the new signing and he's bossing it.

Back
Top Bottom