Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He also saved a goal with his block.
Think we all know he has a brain snap in him but he has the pace Doherty lacks.
All the best FBs have pace, still have no idea what the fuck our scout team saw in Doherty - you’d think his plodding style would have ruled him out from the get go
It seems strange to me how does these things late on though.
West Ham, Palace, Brenford and probably a few more. Why always so late? Does he burn out and need t come off?

Yeah, that's right I don't watch us play a single game, I just stare at a spreadsheet instead. Twat!

Statistically, he's a better fucking crosser from open play than TAA!!! That's all that's been said so stick that stat where the sun doesn't shine, pretend that that's not the case all you want. I don't give a fucking shit what you do with it.
How bad must TAA be then?
Aurier has 2 crosses in him, the low drive towards the 6 yard box when no one is there or the smash it out of play near the opposite corner flag trying a higher cross.

West Ham, Palace, Brenford and probably a few more. Why always so late? Does he burn out and need t come off?

Tiredness effects his concentration badly. Successive managers keep missing it though. He’s given away a couple of free kicks leading to goals late in games.

Regarding his crossing. Never was it more evident how bad it is when regullion crossed for Sissoko. There was evidence of a fullback with that ability. It highlighted the lack of it from serge immediately.

That is what I’ve found strange about Doherty, his crossing at wolves was good. He assisted for Harry v WBA with a deep cross. Maybe he needs to do that more? But for that, we need to get into the box more.

Tiredness effects his concentration badly. Successive managers keep missing it though. He’s given away a couple of free kicks leading to goals late in games.

Regarding his crossing. Never was it more evident how bad it is when regullion crossed for Sissoko. There was evidence of a fullback with that ability. It highlighted the lack of it from serge immediately.

That is what I’ve found strange about Doherty, his crossing at wolves was good. He assisted for Harry v WBA with a deep cross. Maybe he needs to do that more? But for that, we need to get into the box more.
It’s hard to compare Reg v. Aurier on one kick of the ball. I do agree though Reg is a better player and crosser.
The battle however is really v. Doherty and IMO Doherty lacks the pace to get into dangerous positions in the first place, let alone a good cross. I suspect playing in a back 5 at wolves hid this as he had the overlap 2 v 1 v the opposition FB - in our formation he actually needs to beat the opposing FB man to man and usually by running on their outside. He just dosent have the pace and it dribbling ability for it.

If Aurier’s crossing from open play leads to more goals than TAA or Robertson, then he is the better crosser from open play at present.

The point of crossing is to score goals and no matter how pretty the Scouse crosses look, if they aren’t leading to anything, what’s the point?

Who took the corner for Liverpool against us that they scored from?
The was, quite frankly, one of the best crosses I've seen. A lot of focus was on the header but he wouldn't have had a sniff if that cross wasn't what it was. It went up and over the first lines of defence, but came down, retained all the pace on the ball and left most of the defence wondering what happened.

How many games do you watch outside of Spurs?

You'd be surprised how many late free kicks teams get in wide positions. Players throwing themselves to the ground in dead end situations to earn one last chance mostly.

You'd be surprised how many late free kicks teams get in wide positions. Players throwing themselves to the ground in dead end situations to earn one last chance mostly.
Valid question

But I do only watch Spurs and only really notice how it seems to be predominantly Aurier doing it down our right. Not exclusively, but predominantly.

yeah, and tbf, quite of of the "fouls" aurier committed were not fouls at all.

Valid question

But I do only watch Spurs and only really notice how it seems to be predominantly Aurier doing it down our right. Not exclusively, but predominantly.

Just look at the Newcastle game.

95th minute. Joelinton just decides to jump into Hojbjerg and go to ground. Free kick. Leads to penalty and Newcastle goal.

Its an easy tactic to factor in one last effort where you can risk putting everyone up field to attack the goal.

yeah, and tbf, quite of of the "fouls" aurier committed were not fouls at all.

I don't think the one against West Ham was a foul but it wouldn't have happened if his first touch, from a relatively easy ball, wasn't so bad that he put himself under pressure. He invited the WH player to challenge for it and go over. Terrible free kick on the refs part, but wouldn't have happened if his first touch didn't take the ball away from him.

Just look at the Newcastle game.

95th minute. Joelinton just decides to jump into Hojbjerg and go to ground. Free kick. Leads to penalty and Newcastle goal.

Its an easy tactic to factor in one last effort where you can risk putting everyone up field to attack the goal.

Another one that wasn't a free kick and really still makes my blood boil looking at it. The Newcastle player passed it straight to a Spurs player, no tackle or challenge. We have posession and their guy runs into a static player.
Personally think the ref should have been sacked on the spot for that.

Valid question

You might find you are wrong about this though. Next game you should count how many freekicks Reggie gives away or when he loses the ball under no pressure at all and invites really bad situations. It happens faaaar too much. We've just been lucky that goals havent come from those freekicks or giveaways.

You might find you are wrong about this though. Next game you should count how many freekicks Reggie gives away or when he loses the ball under no pressure at all and invites really bad situations. It happens faaaar too much. We've just been lucky that goals havent come from those freekicks or giveaways.
But does it happen in injury time when conceding a goal = dropping points?
And does it happen on the edge of the box?

was leon britton a better passer than xavi? your stat argument doesnt always tell the true picture in football..not that the stats even back you up. sometimes it helps to watch the game and when you see aurier waste 9 out of 10 good opportunities to stick a good ball in the box, you come to the conclusion that hes fucking awful at it.
Right so now your asking who is a better passer as Britton has higher stats than Xavi. The bloke has pointed out time and again your stats include corners and free kicks. I've pointed out to you that judging a fullback Jose Mourinho low block system on completed crosses is just ignorant even though his numbers match TAA,. So whether he is a "fuckwit at it" is utterly not the point!! But hey ho leon Brittan and Xavi. Bang it in the mixer to big man 442 innit....🙄

Why do you think a higher % of Aurier's crosses from open play have turned into goals than TAA? (Also I probably agree with you that crossing is not his strength at all).
You know they don't get that you CAN hold these two seemingly contradictory concepts in your head at the same time right? That's what social media does it denies all nuance. So I'm no longer going to have a conversation with them. You can't explain system, or difference between statistical evidence or anecdotal evidence. Because Robertson and TAA are obviously "better" than Aurier. They may well be but we are debating something far more detailed. As for brain farts have a look at TAA defending in his own box on Ings winning goal. They'd have built a pire for Aurier.

But does it happen in injury time when conceding a goal = dropping points?
And does it happen on the edge of the box
Yes Reggie has conceded freekicks in bad positions when 1 goal can mean dropping points even if its not in injury time and quite a few times very close to the box too. Much worse is hes given away the ball in bad positions where other teams have countered from.

I dont want to rewatch the games to point when against who, but for the next game I'll record these parts and make a clip compilation of fuckups of other fullbacks as a bit of evidence.

You know they don't get that you CAN hold these two seemingly contradictory concepts in your head at the same time right? That's what social media does it denies all nuance. So I'm no longer going to have a conversation with them. You can't explain system, or difference between statistical evidence or anecdotal evidence. Because Robertson and TAA are obviously "better" than Aurier. They may well be but we are debating something far more detailed. As for brain farts have a look at TAA defending in his own box on Ings winning goal. They'd have built a pire for Aurier.
They arent wrong that TAA is better than Aurier in his attacking abilities, but Aurier shits all over him in defending. TAA cannot track a player to save his life. If he was with us, Toby and Dier would be completely screwed.

Right so now your asking who is a better passer as Britton has higher stats than Xavi. The bloke has pointed out time and again your stats include corners and free kicks. I've pointed out to you that judging a fullback Jose Mourinho low block system on completed crosses is just ignorant even though his numbers match TAA,. So whether he is a "fuckwit at it" is utterly not the point!! But hey ho leon Brittan and Xavi. Bang it in the mixer to big man 442 innit....🙄
they are premier league stats. theres a reason trent takes corners and freekicks for them, maybe just maybe its because hes good at crossing a ball. you still havent even posted your stats? i made the britton and xavi example to prove that stats can distort things...if you watch spurs and think aurier is good at crossing youre fucked in the head...stats cant help you

Back
Top Bottom