Serge Aurier

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looks like he did it without thinking. Hope it didn't land on anyone.
Seems to me like it comes flying out of his mouth when Winks jumps up on his back. So very much a involuntary spit and you clearly see him bending down and to the side as soon as possible to avoid hitting anyone.

I really thought that Poch would convert him from brain-dead twat to fantastic RB. He'd done it with Walker.

Maybe Jose can work his magic.

2 questions - I was at the Blades match and was really hacked off with SA just ambling back when he'd lost the ball. I was there again last night but was sitting elsewhere so couldn't really tell whether he was bothering now.

And has he still got that really annoying goatee? It's either him or the goatee - one of them's got to go

West Ham and Olympiakos both weren't great tbf, but let's hope maybe this is a corner to turn for Serge.

I'm honestly not overly optimistic from his career to date, still think he's always one poor decision away from disaster, which isn't really ideal by any means.

Getting a wee bit carried away still getting torn in to a player who doesn't even fucking play for us anymore.

Still a better player than Serge tbh IMO.

It's fucking dead now, stop kicking it in the head.
Sorry mate I will not. It doesn't work like that. I will fill my boots when I see the opportunity given the stick dished out on the subject matter.

Aurier is a much better footballer than Tripps, a better Full Back than Tripps. And can cross the ball way, way, way better than the myth that was supposed to be Tripps biggest strength.

You love to see it.

98c03e3a4bb34e327fdc66ddcdbd0a17.jpg

Sorry mate I will not. It doesn't work like that. I will fill my boots when I see the opportunity given the stick dished out on the subject matter.

Aurier is a much better footballer than Tripps, a better Full Back than Tripps. And can cross the ball way, way, way better than the myth that was supposed to be Tripps biggest strength.

You love to see it.

If you're trying to say Aurier crossing almost his 2 best crosses in the space of a week now in a Spurs gives him a better delivery of the ball than Trippier, then you're being obtuse for the sake of it.

If you're trying to say Aurier crossing almost his 2 best crosses in the space of a week now in a Spurs gives him a better delivery of the ball than Trippier, then you're being obtuse for the sake of it.
No, I've constantly slated Tripps for his aimless low percentage crosses since he first joined us. I've used them specifically to explain that they were also causing us a problem tactically with the team as they were easy to defend against and meant we lost possession of the ball with AM's and him stuck high up the pitch (and a gaping hole behind him) and being counter-attacked endlessly as a result.

I've also specifically stated that Aurier's crossing is far better, (accurate) than Frodo's, I've used examples of this not just in a Spurs shirt but in an Ivorian one too. He doesn't hit +10 crosses per game hoping one comes off. He has a much great variety of attacking ability, commits the oppo, gets behind defences with the ability to take-on the oppo, then lifts his head up and picks out and FINDS a Spurs player better than Frodo's head down endless and aimless methods ever did.

There is a MASSIVE difference between the two players. And a MASSIVE difference to how we play when we have Tripps in the team to when we don't and when Aurier (and I'll add KWP in that too) plays.

Before you get too carried away, at NO point have I ever said he's a great RB. He's a good RB and we can find a better one. I argued numerous times he's better than Tripps, that he's our best RB and I've been specific with my reasoning +/- for both players. You can choose to disagree with my opinion that's absolutely fine but NOTHING I have whiteness from either player has meant I've changed my mind over a long period of time.

You love to see it.

To be fair, Aurier has done some very stupid things during his time here and goes into tackles he shouldnt. We end up thinking, 'Aurier , theres no need to tackle there'.

Trippier was the complete opposite. We end up thinking , 'Trippier you fat fuck track your man for once'. Aurier needs to take a leaf from Trippiers book and just take it easy at times. Just one leaf from that book though, we dont need him to end up like Trippier and not bother at all.

To be fair, Aurier has done some very stupid things during his time here and goes into tackles he shouldnt. We end up thinking, 'Aurier , theres no need to tackle there'.

Trippier was the complete opposite. We end up thinking , 'Trippier you fat fuck track your man for once'. Aurier needs to take a leaf from Trippiers book and just take it easy at times. Just one leaf from that book though, we dont need him to end up like Trippier and not bother at all.
I've listed all of his bad points too, some I've attempted to make excuses for, others I've laid bare.

His worst trait was diving into every tackle by not staying on his feet, this was mostly in his first season and I was making a possible case for him overcompensating his aggression whilst playing in one of the most high-tempo and aggressive teams in the most high-tempo league.

Because of this, a narrative started to build around him, he has given away a couple of pens and been sent off twice (both times for taking two yellows). I feel the first pen he gave away (Real Madrid away) was OK to do so, a goal would have been scored anyway and IMO he did the right thing trying to make a do or die attempt to prevent a goal being scored, I like this. Many fans appear they don't. The opposite is just to stand there and the let oppo piss all over you and give them free shots, na not for me thanks.

His two yellows at West Ham were really poor and I can duly slate him for this.

Bertrand dived (not blaming him as I want our players to do the exact same thing) and got him a 2nd yellow, but because of the narrative he gets singled out and slated, which I find quite simply odd.

He then gets pinged for three foul throws against West Ham, this seemed to enrage the fans, build the narrative even more. Again, I find this odd, in the corse of a game I'd argue 50% of throw-ins are fouls, they never get pinged, I think he was just unlucky. It's not a biggie for me, I just don't get why it's such an issue for fans. Take a close look at the goal we scored last night from the throw-in of his, it was technically a foul throw, his right foot was off the ground!!! (This is quite normal for it not to get called a foul, baring in mind it presumably went to VAR as well, as I said, he was unlucky to get singled out and punished for what happens constantly throughout the game).

Last edited:
Not sure if he spat or not. He did look pissed off though and I don't blame him to be honest. Must be tough - he hasn't had a massive amount of game time, he'll know he's not a fan favourite (yet), he allegedly asked to leave the club in the summer and was denied the chance. But he's clearly a very capable football player and on his day, probably close to world-class. He's rapid, strong, can pass/cross, attacks well and can defend. He's also got a massive character. Which as we've seen can also play against him.

He's just had a few rash incidents that have resulted in penalties/dangerous free kicks that have given him the reputation of being a bit erratic. Maybe Mourinho is the manager he needs. 2 games and 2 good performances so far. If he keeps this up throughout December people will be wanking over him before too long.
Never said he was world class. I said that on his day he's probably close to world class because he has all of the attributes the best RB's in the world have. Rapid, strong, decent ball player, attacking threat and solid defensively - again. On his day.

1) "not being fan favourite (yet) so i don't blame him for spitting on fans" (not saying he did!! just hypotetically) seems like an interesting concept.
Don't like your new boss you have been working under for 1 year (and threatened to leave midway)? Simple - just spit at the fu**er :D that'll make him/her like you instantly.
Newborn is crying during the night even though you tucked him in well? - just spit on him/her, that'll make him/her stop

2) one of THE MAIN QUALITIES, if not the most important one, to ever be considered even close to "world-class" in fullback or generally any defensive position is... reliability and consistency. No, rapidness, strongness, passing/crossing abilities are not up there. But stability absolutely is. So in order to even consider using this word I don't want to spell again, he would have to play like this for like a season. It has been 2 games.

But I am happy that he is playing well.
Not my favourite player. Not the one I trust the most.
But if he keeps doing well for Spurs, I will support him.

Obviously it's only two shit teams we've played so far, which hasn't eposed Aurier's rashness in defense, but under Poch he had to play Poch's way which he was not suited for, whereas under Mourinho he is playing our players to their strengths. Aurier is good at attacking and that is how he has been used so far. It's a breath of fresh air to see Mourinho use the players properly. Chalk and cheese the two managers really.

Was it you Serge spat on?

No, it was Serge I've seen do 5x more stupid things than good things on the pitch though...the odd decent game against poor opposition doesn't mean an awful lot.

Did you only start supporting Spurs this week or what?

Everyone's got a blank slate, but he needs to show consistency against good sides and from what I've seen I don't think it's so strange to have doubts about him.

1) "not being fan favourite (yet) so i don't blame him for spitting on fans" (not saying he did!! just hypotetically) seems like an interesting concept.
Don't like your new boss you have been working under for 1 year (and threatened to leave midway)? Simple - just spit at the fu**er :D that'll make him/her like you instantly.
Newborn is crying during the night even though you tucked him in well? - just spit on him/her, that'll make him/her stop

2) one of THE MAIN QUALITIES, if not the most important one, to ever be considered even close to "world-class" in fullback or generally any defensive position is... reliability and consistency. No, rapidness, strongness, passing/crossing abilities are not up there. But stability absolutely is. So in order to even consider using this word I don't want to spell again, he would have to play like this for like a season. It has been 2 games.

You're not a fan of context are you?

This stability thing, you are overfocussing on that. Its no use having a 'stable' guy who is either to slow to defend or just doesnt bother tracking back like Trippier used to. Even moderately fast guys would leave him behind and he would jog back with our CBs having to defend difficult crosses or just get dragged out wide.

Aurier has been erratic at times, but he is still our best fullback and I think Mourinho will agree too.

Obviously it's only two shit teams we've played so far, which hasn't eposed Aurier's rashness in defense, but under Poch he had to play Poch's way which he was not suited for, whereas under Mourinho he is playing our players to their strengths. Aurier is good at attacking and that is how he has been used so far. It's a breath of fresh air to see Mourinho use the players properly. Chalk and cheese the two managers really.
Yup. Poch wanted the players to fit the 'philosophy'. Mourinho is fitting it the philosophy to the players' strengths.

Back
Top Bottom