Sergio Reguilón

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If he’s fluent in Portuguese then he should be able to understand a lot in Spanish and can probably carry on a basic conversation at the very least.

Many moons ago when I was travelling in Brazil I was speaking with a local about how difficult it was to get around for us gringos compared to other Latin American countries because we had to learn Portuguese. He told me it was okay for us to speak Spanish and generally people wouldn’t mind, but if an Argentinian was visiting and spoke in Spanish then the locals would get pissed off and pretend to not understand.

Can Bill Madrid Bill Madrid or someone translate what he’s singing?
OK, found the song. It's called Soy Yo ("It's Me") and it's by Nyno Vargas, a young rapper from Valencia who apparently got famous on this year's season of Survivor, which is still going strong here

This is the bit Sergio sings...

Yo sé que aunque no soy tu dueño
Te hago vivir un sueño cuando te hago el amor
Aunque él está en tus pensamientos
Yo conozco tu cuerpo, no hay comparación
Miénteme y dime que ya no piensas en mí
No seas tonta y acepta que yo soy mejor que él
Mírame y dime que con él eres feliz
Si cuando besas sus labios tú me imaginas a mí

I know that although I don't own you
I make your life a dream when I make love to you
Even though he's in your thoughts
I know your body, there's no comparison
Lie to me and tell me you're not still thinking about him
Don't be a fool, you know I'm better than him
Look me in the eyes and tell me you're happy with him
That when you kiss his lips you're imagining me

Last edited:
OK, found the song. It's called Soy Yo ("It's Me") and it's by Nyno Vargas, a young rapper from Valencia who apparently got famous on this year's season of Survivor, which is still going strong here

You're no fool, you knowI'm better than him

That sounds an whole much like the sobbing ramblings I made, when I sat cutting my arms after Bale left us for Madrid

This is the bit Sergio sings...

Yo sé que aunque no soy tu dueño
Te hago vivir un sueño cuando te hago el amor
Aunque él está en tus pensamientos
Yo conozco tu cuerpo, no hay comparación
Miénteme y dime que ya no piensas en mí
No seas tonta y acepta que yo soy mejor que él
Mírame y dime que con él eres feliz
Si cuando besas sus labios tú me imaginas a mí

You're no fool, you knowI'm better than him

His choice of song only reinforces my first impression. Get him on the pitch asap.

Jose won't you let me play
I promise to be an intelligent cunt
My heart it yearns for
The thrill of a 1-0 win
Oh boss please let me play
I promise to make you proud
Whether it be 10 long balls
Or a nasty unpunished foul
Oh Jose won't you let me play
I promise to be an intelligent cunt

This is one of the funniest things I’ve read on TFC. Brilliant stuff!

:levylol:

(Just found out in DNA testing I have Icelandic heritage)!

That's reassuring.

VlIzKpd.jpg

Lets hope that starts just after the buy back clause ends. :levystare:
the buy back $ is steep..he has to become really really good in 2 years for anyone to think about buying him at > than that price, else Madrid won't bother activating it..

and if he does become that good within 2 years then he would have already contributed to the team's success..mission accomplished. Spanish boys do get homesick and yearn for the Spanish sun in a few years anyway, noone expects him to spend more than 4-5 years at Spurs regardless of how he develops

‘Aggressive, quick and confident’ – why Sergio Reguilón will be a success at Tottenham

The 23-year-old Spain left back is set to make his debut for José Mourinho’s side this week. Ian Hawkey hears from those who have witnessed “Regui” develop

Four years ago this week, Sergio Reguilón played the match of his life. He was 19, a kid in the company of been-around-the-block grown-ups and, on a wild afternoon in Logroño, northern Spain, he discovered a Midas touch.

Two years later, as he prepared for his debut in the Champions League for Real Madrid, folk were still talking about it. “You know, he once scored four goals in a match!” reported the then Madrid head coach, Julen Lopetegui.

The Legend of Logroño had become a little embellished. “It was actually almost four goals,” points out an expert witness, César Caneda, who was on the pitch at the time, casting an avuncular, approving eye on his young colleague, a firefly of a full back who, within the next few days, expects to take the next step of a steadily rising career with a debut for Tottenham Hotspur. Caneda is one of the wisest men in Spanish football, 42 years old, approaching his 800th match as a professional. But that game, Reguilón’s Revelation, Logroñés versus Bilbao Athletic in Spain’s third tier, still stands out.

“He was inspired that day, in a really open match,” recalls Caneda, who watched from central defence as Reguilón outsprinted his markers to open the scoring with his left foot. He then curled in a free kick for 2-1, and, with an angled shot with his right foot, struck Logroñés’ fourth in a 5-3 victory. Their third had come from another Reguilón free kick, sufficiently deflected that it would be recorded — just — as an own goal, though folklore has it as the day he scored four.

Back then, Reguilón was starting a second spell on loan at Logroñés from Madrid’s feeder team, Castilla. The veteran Caneda saw the teenager’s best qualities concentrated into 90 minutes. “He strikes the ball beautifully, has excellent technique, acceleration and always this confidence in his abilities.

“What I liked in him was his willingness to learn,” adds Caneda. “He wanted to absorb everything. I think it’s fair to say when he came up to us, he saw he couldn’t count on all the comforts you would have as a young player at Valdebebas, Madrid’s academy. That didn’t worry him. He got on well with everybody, youngsters and veterans. He’s someone who will adapt to any environment.”

Spurs are Reguilón’s fourth club, after Madrid, where he first enrolled for practice at the age of five; the educative loan to Logroñés; and a stellar season on loan at Seville, which ended with last month’s Europa League triumph and persuaded Tottenham to pay £27.5 million and Madrid, the sellers, to protect their interest by including a possible buyback clause of around £40 million. There is a body of opinion at the Bernabéu that wonders at the wisdom of letting Reguilón go. In the head coach Zinedine Zidane’s thinking, the decorated, long-serving Marcelo and Ferland Mendy, the France international, have the left back position covered.

“If it were me, I’d have found a place for him in Madrid’s first-team squad,” says Luis Miguel Ramos, who coached the young “Regui”, as his friends call him, at various age-group stages at Madrid. “As a 12-year-old, he was quite small, very thin but a great competitor,” recalls Ramis. “By the time I was coaching Castilla, he had built up his strength and I asked that he come back from his loan at Logroñes.

“I even played him at centre back for a while, because his decision-making is always so good, and I wanted someone there who would distribute the ball well. He has all the parts of the game for a left back, the defensive side, the speed, the energy to get up and down the wing all day.”

Lopetegui, briefly in charge of Madrid’s first-team, promoted Reguilón from Castilla for 2018-19. The seniors soon learnt “Regui” is no wallflower. An incident in practice, in which he hurled himself towards Sergio Ramos during a session of touch rugby was taken for insubordination by the Madrid captain. Reguilón had accidentally hit Ramos on the nose. Ramos picked up the ball and volleyed it as hard as he could, twice, at the upstart before later apologising.

Scan his highlights from the Seville season, where Lopetegui was again his coach, and you know this is not a player cowed by hierarchy or reputation. There’s a nutmeg, at Camp Nou, through fierce-faced Arturo Vidal. There are studied sliding tackles. There’s a goal and assist on his Seville debut, against Espanyol, and crucial contributions to the Europa League campaign, including a virtuoso goal to knock out Roma and the slick cross that turned the semi-final against Manchester United.

“He’ll do well in English football, and benefit from a coach like José Mourinho,” predicts Ramis. “He’s got the aggression for it, he’ll be a good team-mate, and he’ll believe in himself."

Lopetegui, briefly in charge of Madrid’s first-team, promoted Reguilón from Castilla for 2018-19. The seniors soon learnt “Regui” is no wallflower. An incident in practice, in which he hurled himself towards Sergio Ramos during a session of touch rugby was taken for insubordination by the Madrid captain. Reguilón had accidentally hit Ramos on the nose. Ramos picked up the ball and volleyed it as hard as he could, twice, at the upstart before later apologising.

Scan his highlights from the Seville season, where Lopetegui was again his coach, and you know this is not a player cowed by hierarchy or reputation. There’s a nutmeg, at Camp Nou, through fierce-faced Arturo Vidal. There are studied sliding tackles. There’s a goal and assist on his Seville debut, against Espanyol, and crucial contributions to the Europa League campaign, including a virtuoso goal to knock out Roma and the slick cross that turned the semi-final against Manchester United.

“He’ll do well in English football, and benefit from a coach like José Mourinho,” predicts Ramis. “He’s got the aggression for it, he’ll be a good team-mate, and he’ll believe in himself."
Thanks for posting.
This article's take on the Ramos training ground confrontation (excerpted above) is different from the ones I've seen previously.
Ramos is clearly an alpha male who loves being the "main man", and demands "Respect".
This interpretation of the clash with Reguilon makes me imagine Ramos being like Souness at his peak, when he would smash opposing players who dared get too close to him like the playground bully he always was.
It seems young Reguilon has some fire in his belly, and is no respecter of reputations & big egos
I'm looking forward to seeing him in our famous shirt.

Back
Top Bottom