Sergio Reguilón

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

They’ve been as shit or worse than everyone else since Christmas.
The mantra is that is due to the poor squad (who are also top 4 quality if the debate is about Jose)

My rationale says that the squad hasn’t changed since the autumn when Kane and Son were called the best forwards in Europe and everyone was wanking over Kane’s all round game now and his assists.

Sooooo.
What changed? The Champo players around them in October became even more Champo or....?
Well some of our top players have seen a dip in form. But over the course of the season, their average performance is still better than the likes of Sissoko and Davies. Furthermore, there have been specific individual errors from Dier and Sanchez that has cost many goals.

Your analysis on Reguilon vs Davies also didn't take into account that the fact Reguilon is quicker and can cross will mean the opposition's RB can't be as adventurous.

Not sure why you seem to be obsessed with berating our highest performers.

Well some of our top players have seen a dip in form. But over the course of the season, their average performance is still better than the likes of Sissoko and Davies. Furthermore, there have been specific individual errors from Dier and Sanchez that has cost many goals.

Your analysis on Reguilon vs Davies also didn't take into account that the fact Reguilon is quicker and can cross will mean the opposition's RB can't be as adventurous.

Not sure why you seem to be obsessed with berating our highest performers.
Not sure why others aren’t more obsessed with it because I don’t expect Moura to be like a prime Kane.....Moura is playing like Moura always does.
Kane isn’t.

And it’s not a dip in form, they’ve fallen off a cliff for 1/3 of the season like they always do, but it’s never their responsibility is it

Last edited:
Hmmmm I’m not a professional footballer or manager

You see the idea is to kick a ball to the people in the same t shirt as you, preferably forwards and into a goal.

The other team try and stop you.

It can be very difficult, but that doesn’t mean the game isn’t a simple one.
Harry Kane in a one on one has one job.

Whether he has Charlie Adam or Iniesta behind him is irrelevant.

I’m not talking about him missing chances he didn’t get. Because that would be stupid, and trying to overcomplicate the fact that Harry just doesn’t have a very good shot conversion 17% (Calvert Lewin has 25% for reference) and is extremely slow and can’t out run most defenders.

You think that’s Ben Davies fault.
If Ben Davies and others being shit increases the number of goals conceded, reduces the number and quality of chances Kane gets, increases the effort Kane needs to put in to get those chances etc., then the pressure on Kane to convert those chances increases and thus not surprising if his conversion rate drops as a result.

But then you have admitted that you are not a professional footballer, and thus have no authority on the topic of how simple or complex the game is.

If Ben Davies and others being shit increases the number of goals conceded, reduces the number and quality of chances Kane gets, increases the effort Kane needs to put in to get those chances etc., then the pressure on Kane to convert those chances increases and thus not surprising if his conversion rate drops as a result.

But then you have admitted that you are not a professional footballer, and thus have no authority on the topic of how simple or complex the game is.
17%

Nothing we don't already know but hey..........

Sergio Reguilon: The confident, committed full-back making a noise at Tottenham​

Boisterous defender made an instant impression having joined from Real Madrid

If Tottenham Hotspur’s players were not already aware of the type of character the club had signed in Sergio Reguilón, they would have known it for sure by the time he had finished his initiation song in September.

As is the custom for new arrivals, Reguilón was tasked with serenading his team-mates over dinner. He would have been forgiven for feeling a little anxious, standing up in front of these new faces at this new club in this new country. But the Spaniard does not hold back on the pitch and, it soon became clear, he does not hold back off it either.

With his eyes closed, his head thrown back and his hand placed dramatically over his heart, Reguilón approached the moment as if he had spent his summer watching re-runs of the X Factor. By the end, he was leading the rhythmic clapping of his team-mates and working himself into a belting, ear-splitting finale.

Confident, loud, committed. That’s Reguilón for you, and that is the personality behind the player who has emerged as one of the most exciting full-backs in European football in recent seasons. Reguilón’s arrival from Real Madrid this summer was overshadowed by the signing of Gareth Bale at the same time, but he has since gone on to offer so much more than his more illustrious team-mate.

A left-back of remarkable speed and stamina, Reguilón brings a different dynamic to Jose Mourinho’s side. Of his Tottenham team-mates, only Harry Kane and Son Heung-min have registered more assists in the Premier League this season, with Reguilón’s latest coming in their emphatic win over Burnley last weekend.

Following an injury in January, Reguilón missed five league matches. It is not a coincidence that Tottenham lost four of those, nor is it a surprise that their attacking play has gone up a notch since the 24-year-old made his return. They missed his energy, and his attacking enthusiasm will be needed again when they face Fulham on Thursday night.

“He comes from a culture of very technical football,” said Mourinho. “He was born and made in a winning club where, since you are a kid, you are educated in that direction. He goes forward, he is quick, he is creative, he assists.”

Alongside Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg, Reguilón has brought more of an edge to a team that was last year accused of being “too nice” by Mourinho. Reguilón is not afraid to stand up for himself and his team, and he is certainly no shrinking violet. This much was evident when he played against Barcelona in 2019 and launched a barrage of insults at Luis Suárez and Lionel Messi.

According to Spanish reports (and lip-readers), Reguilón told Suárez he was “ugly” and compared him to a “rabbit”. He then turned on Messi, labelling him a “flea”. Reguilón later said he was “really fired up” because of the tension of the match. Whatever the reason, it was another demonstration of his lack of fear.

They saw that same self-confidence at Logroñés, in the Spanish third tier, where Reguilón spent the 2015/16 and 2016/17 seasons on loan. He had been with Madrid since the age of eight, working his way up the ranks, and the move to Logroñés was his first experience of senior football.

“Mentally, it suited him very well,” says Sergio Rodríguez, Reguilón’s coach at Logroñés. “Being with us helped him to assess where came from. Madrid is one of the best clubs in the world and he came here, where there are so many differences in facilities and in the league. It helped him to fight hard to continue to be in the elite.”

Reguilón was only 18 when he first arrived at Logroñés but, as with Tottenham this season, he was quick to embrace his surroundings. His former team-mates have described him as abnormally confident — he would respond to their mickey-taking by promising to send them tickets when he was playing in the Champions League.

“A very sociable boy,” Rodríguez tells Telegraph Sport. “A joker who generates a good atmosphere. He was always in a good mood, always at the heart of jokes. He’s a very cheerful guy, who takes things in the best possible way. At the club we have a lot of affection for him. Even after he returned to Madrid, he would come to visit us.”

Reguilón’s team-mates have not always responded well to his boisterous approach, though. In 2018, he had a brief bust-up with Sergio Ramos, the undisputed king of Real Madrid, after catching him with an elbow in training. In response, Ramos twice smashed the ball at the young upstart. Ramos later apologised.

And then there was his episode with the “Portuguese piglet” that Mourinho bought him for Christmas, having been informed that Reguilón would be alone. Instead, he broke coronavirus regulations by attending a party with Erik Lamela and Giovani Lo Celso.

“I gave him an amazing gift,” said Mourinho. “A Portuguese piglet. I was told he would be spending Christmas on his own. He was not alone, as you can see.”

Away from the pitch, Reguilón has endeared himself to Tottenham fans with his carefree approach on social media. When Tottenham’s players were playing cricket in the gym, he posted a video and simply said: “I don’t get it.”

And this weekend, after a fierce argument between Sky Sports pundits Jamie Redknapp and Roy Keane about the quality of Tottenham’s squad, he replied with a popular GIF of Michael Jackson eating popcorn. It should be said that his understanding of the digital world has no doubt been helped by his girlfriend, Marta Díaz, who has more than 2m subscribers on YouTube.

As for Reguilón’s development on the pitch, it was on loan at Sevilla last season when his talent became truly impossible to ignore. He played 38 games and helped them to win the Europa League, attracting Tottenham’s interest with his dynamic style. He cost Tottenham around £28m, although Madrid ensured there is a buy-back clause in his contract.

At this rate, Reguilón therefore might not be around for long. But for now at least, Tottenham can enjoy the sight of him charging down the left wing, as committed and exuberant as he always has been.

In case anyone wants a read...

PREMIER LEAGUE | SERGIO REGUILÓN INTERVIEW

Jonathan NorthcroftThe Sunday Times

It is normal for foreign signings to need time to settle into the English game, especially those who are young and are working on their language skills. Yet, speak to Sergio Reguilón, and you realise that he is a little different.

On the pitch, his attributes as a dynamic and feisty but technical full back have made him a perfect fit for the type of game José Mourinho wants to play at Tottenham Hotspur: measured football with an edge. Off it, the 24-year-old from Madrid has become very much a favourite at the training ground. He is a joker and he is game. “Good value” they say.

This source of ‘La Banta’ had a standout cameo when a video emerged of the Spurs squad playingindoor cricket in November. Clearly as clueless as a top order England batsman about how the game should be played, the Spaniard appeared to spend most of his time giggling and playing an improvised bongo drum at midwicket.

How does he rate his bat and ball skills? “I try to learn but it’s too difficult,” Reguilón says, making a little hooting noise, before giving way to more giggles. “No, I’m happy because I don’t understand but I play.

“I try to learn the customs of England and the customs of the players of the sport of my friends in the team. I’m happy to learn with them . . . but I’m so bad.”

Last Sunday, he found himself subject of a studio argument between Roy Keane and Jamie Redknapp when the Sky Sports pundits analysed Tottenham before their game against Burnley. After the match, which Spurs won 4-0, Reguilón responded with humour — replying on Twitter to a clip of Redknapp defending him with a well-known GIF of Michael Jackson munching popcorn. The message was that he had enjoyed watching the debate.

Characterising Spurs as having too many average performers, Keane suggested Reguilón was transferred from Real Madrid in summer because he lacked the quality of a top player. In response, Redknapp described him as “a fantastic player” and “as good a left back as there is in the country”. Reguilón was appreciative of the support.

“That is [Keane’s] opinion but for me we have a lot of top class players that can play in every team. But we play for Tottenham and we defend Tottenham and for me we have the best players. That’s my opinion,” Reguilón said.

“Thank you Jamie for defending me, it was so funny! He was really angry! I watched that and smiled a lot. It was very nice.”

Reguilón presents his move from the Santiago Bernabéu in considerably more positive terms than Keane did. Having spent last season on loan at Seville, with whom he won the Europa League, he decided his future lay away from Real, the club where he was developed but — despite making his debut in 2018 — never became a regular.

“In the summer I had a big decision and with all the clubs on the table, I chose Tottenham. Because their proposal, the team, the league, the club, the city — there are too many factors that said yes. And the gaffer for me was very important. The personnel at the club, with [Daniel] Levy and with José and everything — it was very important.”

Rejoining Gareth Bale, who he befriended at the Santiago Bernabéu, was another attraction. “I was talking with him when we were with Madrid and said ‘Gareth, maybe I go to Tottenham’ and he said, ‘Really? me too! No way!’. In the end it was amazing.” He is delighted by his amigo’s return to form. “Gareth for me is a top player. Now I think is the best performance [for Spurs] because his body is different and he needs more training, more work to be fit but now is his best moment in Tottenham.”

Three consecutive wins and clean sheets have reignited Spurs, helping them into the round of 16 of the Europa League and back within striking distance of the Premier League top four. Has anything special happened to prompt the good run? “Yes. I’m back!” quips Reguilón. “I’m joking. I don’t know. Maybe there are moments in the season when it happens that we are tired, maybe the game is an unlucky one, it’s football, it’s difficult to explain. But now we are in the good moment and we have to build on it.

“Now the feeling is we can arrive in the top four. It’s difficult but we have the players to do it.”

Despite giving his manager a headache when he, Érik Lamela and Giovani Lo Celso were pictured together at a festive party in breach of lockdown rules, Reguilón remains well-liked by Mourinho, who sent the young Spaniard a cooked suckling pig to eat on Christmas Day. “It was a big bit of pork!” Reguilón laughs. “I ate the pork alone at home on the 25th of December, I promise . . . I know José wants the best for me and I feel the same about him.

“I love Spanish food. For me it is my favourite food, the best food.” Better, perhaps, than Spanish cricket.

Ahh shitttt...

stuff like this is why you sack Jose now, not at the end.

if Jose is out, a caretaker is playing even generic but decent football and the players see a manager like Nagelsmann on the horizon, it’ll change the culture by default.

losing Reggie after one season would be a disaster.

Back
Top Bottom