Sergio Reguilón

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think they will exercise it. got mendy and guiterrez who is supposed to be highly rated by them. unless mendy is total wank I think we are fine
That's absolutely correct.
But the problem with a buy back is say Reguilon's market value becomes the same or higher than Ben Chilwell (c£50m). Then RM could buy him back at the agreed price (hypothetically £35-40m), even though they're sorted at LB, to sell him to a team prepared to pay £50m, and pocket the profit.
I'm still in favour of signing Reguilon, and I'm sure Levy tried to get some clauses included which mitigate this scenario. Plus we will make a profit if RM buy him back.
But there are good reasons why manure wouldn't agree to the buy back clause, and Levy broke the habit of a lifetime in doing so.

I think this was a position of big need. Davies was not close to good enough as a LB if we want to be competing for the top 4.

But I agree that it is a nice signing not just because of the player but because it signifies we are not happy to just maintain a position that is at best ok. It shows a little ambition from the team that has been missing for at least a year, if not longer.

It would have been so easy to just keep up the 6/10 myth about Davies and try to hide him with our LB stays back formation but instead they went out and got a player that can not only do that role better but allow us to play a variety of formations and tactics.

It is a really great thing to see from the club in my view.
I think to 2nd guess Jose's tactics based on what we've seen from him so far, this signing will enable a Wing-Back for the left. The only real positional play Jose has stamped on this team has been to concede possession and push Aurier up the pitch on the right. I'm making the assumption that this fella will enable us to do the same but on the left, probably with Toby/Sanchez/Dier all capable of playing the RCB role. It would also mean a rest day for Doherty (if Aurier is to be sold). Personally I'd much prefer two attacking Fullbacks pushed on but Jose is far to cautious for this. (Ben Davies is NOT asked to play as an attacking LB, quite the opposite, he's asked to form a back three).

Got to feel a little bit sorry for this lad, as the Bale transfer is tacking all the light. Personally I'm more excited about this lad coming in that Bale on loan.

But the problem with a buy back is say Reguilon's market value becomes the same or higher than Ben Chilwell (c£50m). Then RM could buy him back at the agreed price (hypothetically £35-40m), even though they're sorted at LB, to sell him to a team prepared to pay £50m, and pocket the profit.
I'm still in favour of signing Reguilon, and I'm sure Levy tried to get some clauses included which mitigate this scenario. Plus we will make a profit if RM buy him back.
But there are good reasons why manure wouldn't agree to the buy back clause, and Levy broke the habit of a lifetime in doing so.

My guess is that we gave ground on the buy-back and they gave ground on paying Bale's salary, these two deals will be as much about two big clubs balancing the accounts as about the individual agreements. I'm guessing both will be tied to two years, so if we keep Reguilon next summer we probably also get to keep Bale, or if they buy Reguilon back then we won't pay them for Bale anymore ... pure guesswork but two deals between the same clubs at the same time smacks of financial collusion.

I can't believe we started our window with Hojberg and Doherty (sensible signings but both seemed like a stop gap until the CoVid financial crunch ended) and might end it with Bale and a talented left back.

Now if only we went out and got Artur when we could..
The window ends with a new CB and a Striker! :tobyarm:

My guess is that we gave ground on the buy-back and they gave ground on paying Bale's salary, these two deals will be as much about two big clubs balancing the accounts as about the individual agreements. I'm guessing both will be tied to two years, so if we keep Reguilon next summer we probably also get to keep Bale, or if they buy Reguilon back then we won't pay them for Bale anymore ... pure guesswork but two deals between the same clubs at the same time smacks of financial collusion.
I agree. I definitely think the fact both negotiations happened concurrently means they would have been part of the overall discussions.

The clincher may have been Levy's desire to show Mourinho he was prepared to think "Big Time", and back his manager after all the criticism he has received over Poch.

It seems Mourinho still rates Bale, and I'm sure his opinion would have been sought on Reguilon.

If Mourinho said both players could have a major impact on completing the "puzzle of his squad", then Levy probably knew he had to do the deals. The risk to the trajectory and morale of the club of not doing so was too great.

If Mourinho said both players could have a major impact on completing the "puzzle of his squad", then Levy probably knew he had to do the deals. The risk to the trajectory and morale of the club of not doing so was too great.

Now all we need is someone who can actually put puzzle pieces where they belong, not keep trying to ram big, lazy stupid, pointy shaped AM pieces into CM holes.

Don't pretend you wanted him - just few days ago you said it was as risky deal due to 'injuries'

Go wank in your Joe Hart Levy-signed coffee mug
It's really quite funny. All of those guys who for years have tried to justify reasons for not signing quality are suddenly all on board pretending they wanted them all along

:harrylol:

The fact Bale is coming back, albeit just a 12 month loan, and this other fellas coming in, albeit with a buy back clause, is a ringing endorsement for you, me and the many others who have shouting for it for years

:tobyarm:

Last edited:
So Reggies's girlfriend is a YouTube sensation and has 2.4 mill Insta followers. Imagine the club exposure to a new audience. Levy likes!!:levywhoa::levylol:

Levy's also lost a number a deals throughout the years quibbling over details. On the back of the CL final capitulation and the disaster that was last season we've spunked cash on a big name manager who has won practically everything thrice over, reshuffled the football operations to delegate more of Levy's authority to other experienced parties, and are now spending money on transfers clearly desired by the aforementioned manager which are structured to get talent in irregardless of ROI.

We've dealt with years of moaning about Levy's financial pragmatism...now we're gonna cunt him off for being a little financially reckless?

:levywtf:

Sign no one:
Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Sign work horses with leadership skills:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Sign world class talent:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Sign top young talent with a clause:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Let’s just shut up shop and suck some more Chelsea cock, shall we

I've moved on mate... I'm already giving myself cigarette burns to work my way through the Thiago/LIverpool deal.

It's really quite funny. All of those guys who for years have tried to justify reasons for not signing quality are suddenly all on board pretending they wanted them all along

Disingenuous, straw-man bullshit as usual. John....

Even your own comments above contradict themselves... Understanding reasons why X or Y signing can't be made has no correlation to not wanting the best players we can afford to play for us.

What's funny is the post of mine you're trying to score points over was in fact a comment about Reg'; not Bale.... I've never even seen the LB fella play let along wax'd lyrical about any injury history he may have. (re: Bale - Yeh, had I reservations.... Still do, but I trust the medics and the club know better than I enough to take the punt.)

Just one big fail on your part

Simple fact is if we can afford X or Y and they're what we need; bring it on.

The fact Bale is coming back, albeit just a 12 month loan, and this other fellas coming in, albeit with a buy back clause, is a ringing endorsement for you, me and the many others who have shouting for it for years

You said that last year when we signed Ndomele..... It was bullshit then and it's bullshit now.

Within 5 mins the buzz had worn off and you were back to goading me and others then... Just like you are now.

If you think the club spend money to appease entitled little shits like you then you are as deluded as you appear.

You shaved your head yet?

Nah, course not you complete fraud.

Last edited:
Consider how many times we spread play out towards Ben Davies on the left in the final third (and, unfortunately, how little end product actually comes from it). If I was an opposition manager, I'd actually be instructing my defence to focus more on our right hand side to take Doherty out of the game and let the ball go to Davies as much as possible as he's by far the least dangerous.

Start Reguilón instead and we're gonna tear teams apart.

Back
Top Bottom