Sergio Reguilón

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

All part of a cycle. We may have better options in 2 years. RM may have better options in 2 years. It may suit all sides to ditch the clause after 2 years.
live for the here and now. Tomorrow may never come. Fuck it. Hope the lad tears it up. Looks a total baller.

All part of a cycle. We may have better options in 2 years. RM may have better options in 2 years. It may suit all sides to ditch the clause after 2 years.
live for the here and now. Tomorrow may never come. Fuck it. Hope the lad tears it up. Looks a total baller.
2 years is still 2 years. Why not have a good player for 2 years.

They act like he's some unproven 19 year old. He was just voted best LB in La Liga last season and won the Europa League with Seville. This isn't a punt.

Exactly.

If this were a Ryan Sessegnon situation where we would be getting a player that likely isn't good enough for our first team so for the two years we would be stuck with his growing pains before finally having them worked out at the end of the buy back period and then lose the player right when we got him to where we wanted to that would be terrible and I would pass. Reguilon is already at the level we need him. We don't have to go through growing pains, worse case scenario we a get a good player, better than what we have for two years and then get 15m if he leaves. That is a pretty ok worse case scenario.

The buy back is not perfect, I don't think anyone would argue that. But it didn't seem like we would get him both because of the club and the player (who dreams of staring for RM) so I think a 2 year buy back is better than not getting him. Not the kind of deal I want to do all the time but for a one time case for this player I think it works.

So this is one of those opportunistic signings that gives me hope there is long term recruitment strategy at Spurs - capitalising on the chance to buy a good player, at the right age and price. Similar in that sense to Bergwijn.

In both cases, not the positions of greatest need at the time we signed them, but have the right quality and potential. I think it's the way to go for us. We are still below some other clubs in the transfer market pecking order, so we have to be patient, but when no-one else is in for a player of this age/ability, we should take advantage. Hojbjerg on the other hand looks more and more like a stop gap - low cost/low risk, but hopefully we have better targets in mind long term.

So this is one of those opportunistic signings that gives me hope there is long term recruitment strategy at Spurs - capitalising on the chance to buy a good player, at the right age and price. Similar in that sense to Bergwijn.

In both cases, not the positions of greatest need at the time we signed them, but have the right quality and potential. I think it's the way to go for us. We are still below some other clubs in the transfer market pecking order, so we have to be patient, but when no-one else is in for a player of this age/ability, we should take advantage. Hojbjerg on the other hand looks more and more like a stop gap - low cost/low risk, but hopefully we have better targets in mind long term.

Agree on Reguilon, but Hojbjerg has played 1 match for Spurs FFS...maybe we should stop judging players before they learn where the pisser is at the training ground, k?

I think this was a position of big need. Davies was not close to good enough as a LB if we want to be competing for the top 4.

But I agree that it is a nice signing not just because of the player but because it signifies we are not happy to just maintain a position that is at best ok. It shows a little ambition from the team that has been missing for at least a year, if not longer.

It would have been so easy to just keep up the 6/10 myth about Davies and try to hide him with our LB stays back formation but instead they went out and got a player that can not only do that role better but allow us to play a variety of formations and tactics.

It is a really great thing to see from the club in my view.

With Ferland Mendy as the RM left back for he next few years Reguilon good as he is just wasn't getting much game time with RM, a spell in the EPL will be good for him and for us.

Sign no one:
Waaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Sign work horses with leadership skills:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Sign world class talent:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

Sign top young talent with a clause:
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Let’s just shut up shop and suck some more Chelsea cock, shall we

I can't believe we started our window with Hojberg and Doherty (sensible signings but both seemed like a stop gap until the CoVid financial crunch ended) and might end it with Bale and a talented left back.

Now if only we went out and got Artur when we could..

Back
Top Bottom