Set Peice and Corner Vulnerability

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Looking over the course of the season, its clear we are vulnerable from corners and lateral set peices. How many is that weve conceded late on?

We also have no threat from offensive corners and free kicks. We need to find a John Terry/Ramos type defender that can score. There will be many tight games where set peices if the diff between winning and losing as we saw tonight.

Alderweireld isnt tall enough or dominant enough in the air IMO. Hes scored 8 goals in 220 appearances.

John Terry has a 1 in 10 strike rate

Just when I thought we were getting better at defending from set pieces - we go and concede 2 within 3 days.

They just keep costing us.

I will quote myself from a different thread:

Three observations:
-If you concede a lot of possession you're defending a ton of set pieces
-Better defenders concede less on set pieces - those are expensive
- A heavy tall team concedes less on set pieces - but if you build a team around that quality you are giving up a lot in other departments to put it mildly

I will quote myself from a different thread:

Three observations:
-If you concede a lot of possession you're defending a ton of set pieces
-Better defenders concede less on set pieces - those are expensive
- A heavy tall team concedes less on set pieces - but if you build a team around that quality you are giving up a lot in other departments to put it mildly
You dont need to be tall to be good in the air IMO.

Moura is better than Sissoko at heading

I just had a big debate with my dad about this.

Before people start thinking this is a recent problem. I have been saying this for the past 3 seasons. It started when poch was manager and hasn't been solved.

Part of the issue is conceding stupid fouls in the first place. Second part is Lloris won't ever come off his line from set pieces..
We have tried lots of defenders, we bring everyone back, yet still have no one on the posts or defending the edge of the box. Added we don't even have a threat upfield to kick the ball to.

Toby is a big problem for this. Dier isn't great but statstically he's clearing a lot of headers. With how many set pieces we concede one's bound to go in if we don't have TOP TOP CBs at defending set pieces.

Simply lack personnel.

Toby for all his quality, even at his peak, he's not top tier when it come to aerial ability. Dier can hold his own, but there is no help if we're outnumbered even with Kane getting back to help.

We needs another CB that especially dominant in the box, even if it's situational type.

Was still a set piece.

58.3% of the goals we've conceded have been directly following a set piece (penalty, free kick, or corner).

That's not good enough.

Its a high percentage but you also have to acknowledge that we are conceding very few goals from open play.

Set pieces are one of the only ways for opponents to get close to our keeper, if we can fix this issue we will be in business.

Back
Top Bottom