Set pieces

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Blanchflower

Supporter
Seriously, what are we doing?

Ours are zero threat at all.....but every time the oppo have one we look like conceding!

I understand we aren't like Stoke with 10 six foot plus outfield players but we could still at least be organised in defence and show a few more clever ideas in attack.

On a tactical note, why haven't the coaches simply instructed the players to work ALL the free-kicks and corners short and continue playing the ball? It's what we're best at after all...

...plus, each free-kick we take only serves to waste time while we set up for it, and by hurrying-up we may catch a team napping one day.

This is the most frustrating aspect of our game by far. We had at least 15 corners, embarrassing. The fact that we have a corner in the 96th minute and VDV can't beat the fucking 1st man again. What is wrong with some of these players? Professional footballers that can't cross a dead ball in? Grates my balls.

Our set pieces are fucking woeful. I seriously think we need to invest in;
A right mid who can take corners/freekicks, has pace but is solid and a decent high.

Anyone think of anyone?

Why does Modric take corners? He never beats the front man, also Bale has a good cross on him and for some reason is never considered for taking corners or free kicks, which baffles me being that he knows where the target is when taking them unlike Kaboul or BAE who find row Z with pinpoint provision and then VDV who thinks he can beat the wall by playing it through their chests.

Bale or VDV should be the only ones to take corners and if both aren't playing we should just give the opposition a goal kick, unless someone goes short which will never happen because we are Tottenham Hotspur.

I can understand Bale not taking them, seeing as he would be a threat in the air if we could get the ball over the first fucking man.

Benny took a late one yesterday and put it in the right area, let him have a go and leave Walker/Parker back to defend.

Ramsingh said:
Our set pieces are fucking woeful. I seriously think we need to invest in;
A right mid who can take corners/freekicks, has pace but is solid and a decent high.

Anyone think of anyone?

That David Bentley lad used to be good at all that, touted as the next Beckham.

Whatever happened to him?

skip6.jpg

0 - Tottenham haven't scored from a Prem Lge free kick since 1 Jan 2011 & since 26 Jan 2010 for a direct free kick shot. Dearth.

121 - Spurs have taken 121 corners since they last netted a goal from a corner situation in the Premier League. Distant.

Dru said:
0 - Tottenham haven't scored from a Prem Lge free kick since 1 Jan 2011 & since 26 Jan 2010 for a direct free kick shot. Dearth.

121 - Spurs have taken 121 corners since they last netted a goal from a corner situation in the Premier League. Distant.

apparently 191 all comps

Redknapp Speaks

Spurs have won 205 corners in the Premier League this season – the second-highest number in the top flight – but have mustered just five goals from the ensuing deliveries.

That has been compounded by the fact that the Lilywhites have also conceded important goals from dead ball situations.

Manchester United took the lead at White Hart Lane recently with a Wayne Rooney header from a corner, and Cameron Jerome put Stoke ahead at the Lane on Wednesday night from a Jermaine Pennant free-kick.

Redknapp concedes that set pieces are a weak area for Spurs – and he is expecting a similar problem when Spurs face Chelsea at Stamford Bridge tomorrow.

“If you looked at us the other night against Stoke, we really had two people in our side who were over six foot - Ledley King and Younes Kaboul. We were a small small team. That is a problem,” said Redknapp.

“You look at Chelsea tomorrow and you look at the likely headers of the ball for them. They’ve got some big lads, they will score goals from set plays. [Branislav] Ivanovic is fantastic in the air, then there’s John Terry, David Luiz and Gary Cahill, depending on who plays.

“We’re not a big side and the other night the delivery was poor, which didn’t help. The ball into the box was poor against Stoke - but it’s all about having people who want to get onto the end of that ball as well.

“Certain people will get on the end of it and stick their head on it. It doesn’t matter where the ball arrives in the box, they’ll head it.

“I saw QPR play Blackburn earlier in the season, and every time a corner came in, [Chris] Samba headed the ball. It didn’t matter where the ball ended up, he ended up getting his head on it. He outjumped everybody, he’s an amazing header of the ball.

“We’ve only really got Kaboul who I would say was a great header of the ball, so we need him to get his head on one for us. Other than that we’re short.

“It’s an area we could look to improve. If we could find a couple of 6ft 4ins players who are really good and strong in the air, we would improve.

“But other than that, I think we really have to play short corners. I think we have to try to work the ball because, certainly the other night against Stoke, we were never really going to score by putting the ball into the box.

“They were too big and too strong. They probably had six or seven players who were 6ft 2ins or 6ft 3ins, and really it was a mismatch in terms of heading the ball.”

Meanwhile, Redknapp has hit out at suggestions that Tottenham’s recent dip in form is due to players being distracted by the ongoing speculation about the vacant England manager’s job.

“Absolute nonsense. That is the biggest load of nonsense I’ve ever heard in my life,” said the Spurs manager, who has been widely tipped to take over the Three Lions in the summer.

“They [the players] don’t care whether I’m the manager next year, they wouldn’t lose any sleep over that.

“Footballers are footballers. They play the game, they come in every day and train. ‘The King is dead, long live the King’. That is football.

“They don’t worry ‘oh Harry’s going to England or he’s going to go somewhere else’. It doesn’t happen that way.

“I’ve been in football all my life and it doesn’t happen that way. They don’t think about that.

“I don’t think about it either, it never enters my mind. I don’t think’ oh what’s going to happen to me at the end of the season?’

“Whatever happens to me happens to me, I don’t lose any sleep over it, one way or the other – whether I’m here, somewhere else or nowhere. That’s life.”

Follow me on Twitter @BenPearceSpurs

You+don+t+say+_975d86151d9051b3ec9d9d20276dbd0c.jpg

But really, Kaboul, Ledders, Bale, Saha... they're all tall, they're all decent at heading the ball. It had nothing to do with height, you can't get something on a ball that ends up nowhere near you

But we rarely scored any corners/free kicks when Crouch was in the team either. It's a pathetic excuse. Rooney isn't tall, neither is Jerome, but they both scored set pieces against us

It's all about movement and delivery, just like in open play and the other night vdv scored a header against Stoke one the smaller players in our team.

and desire to actually get to the ball.

One thing stood out to me about the recent Bolton game.

Modric was on the post for the Bloton goal and looked to alost duck the ball when it went in - made no effort at all to stop it.

Compare that to Walkers header for us. The determination he showed in getting his head to that ball is what we need more of. He wasnt going to be denied.

Although someoen like Terry is a big bastard, everytime he goes for a header he attacks it with venom.

For me, we dont really look like we have the desire to score that badly from set plays. I really think its that simple.

Dru said:
“If you looked at us the other night against Stoke, we really had two people in our side who were over six foot - Ledley King and Younes Kaboul. We were a small small team. That is a problem,” said Redknapp.

Bale is six foot two you fucking liar

just fuck off now

Back
Top Bottom