Sheffield United v Tottenham Hotspur - July 2nd - 6pm(UK)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair play geezer:

In this it's the ridiculous rule that's the problem, not VAR.

Someone posted up the law which even says "unless the player has fallen and has put his arm down in a normal way". On top of that he's fouled and has the ball whacked at his arm from a couple of inches away.

The flip side is, lets face it, it was only an amazing fluke of that ricochet that set up the chance to score, so lets not pretend we were robbed of a great bit of football that deserved a goal.

Someone posted up the law which even says "unless the player has fallen and has put his arm down in a normal way". On top of that he's fouled and has the ball whacked at his arm from a couple of inches away.

The flip side is, lets face it, it was only an amazing fluke of that ricochet that set up the chance to score, so lets not pretend we were robbed of a great bit of football that deserved a goal.

The latter part has nothing to do with it....

Some of the shit rules have blatantly been devised to accommodate binary VAR decision making though.

Let's not pretend either that goal would have been ruled out if not for the ability to over-scrutinise the incident to the Nth degree..... It's not even cast iron that the ball even hit Lucas's arm FFS.

The fact that the laws you posted above have also been overlooked during the process of checking is a joke!

We're still seeing poor human error/judgement from officials so what's the point of it all?

I'm up for it.
I'm younger than Hodgson and if they buy me an electric scooter I could get about the training ground.
I've got more tactical awareness than Gross, Ramos and AVB .
I would slash the staff costs by not employing mind coaches etc

I still donā€™t think it touched his arm
I thought it his his back

The latter part has nothing to do with it....

Some of the shit rules have blatantly been devised to accommodate binary VAR decision making though.

Let's not pretend either that goal would have been ruled out if not for the ability to over-scrutinise the incident to the Nth degree..... It's not even cast iron that the ball even hit Lucas's arm FFS.

The fact that the laws you posted above have also been overlooked during the process of checking is a joke!

We're still seeing poor human error/judgement from officials so what's the point of it all?

But binary is the inevitable consequence of decades of moaning about human error.

You canā€™t have consistency and common sense because every human thinks differently.

Iā€™d rather swallow getting stupid rules right more often than depending upon n the ā€œinterpretationā€ or ā€œcommon senseā€ of an official who will be accused of ā€œinterpretingā€ it differently than the ref the previous week, and lead to the endless whaling about ā€œall we want is consistencyā€

I have no problem with the concept of VAR, I like it. We now no longer get bad offsides for instance. That in itself is massive. Got us to a CL final.

But rules need to evolve and in this case, the referee watching it needs to apply them properly.

I'm up for it.
I'm younger than Hodgson and if they buy me an electric scooter I could get about the training ground.
I've got more tactical awareness than Gross, Ramos and AVB .
I would slash the staff costs by not employing mind coaches etc

Problem is Paul you are a bit nuts and would probably come to training wearing false breasts.

Apart from that having you as our coach would be great. Get in Chrissie Waddle as your number 2.

No, but I've got a pair of eyes:

That's not a player crippled by injury.

deadleyledley didnā€™t say he was ā€˜crippledā€™ just hurt so why say that?

As I said before neither of us are doctors so we donā€™t know how he was affected

This sort of thing just highlights your agenda and doesnā€™t make any sense

He has strengths which is why three respected managers pick him and, like a lot of players he has weaknesses which are clearly offset by his strengths which you fail to acknowledge

But binary is the inevitable consequence of decades of moaning about human error.

You canā€™t have consistency and common sense because every human thinks differently.

Iā€™d rather swallow getting stupid rules right more often than depending upon n the ā€œinterpretationā€ or ā€œcommon senseā€ of an official who will be accused of ā€œinterpretingā€ it differently than the ref the previous week, and lead to the endless whaling about ā€œall we want is consistencyā€

I have no problem with the concept of VAR, I like it. We now no longer get bad offsides for instance. That in itself is massive. Got us to a CL final.

But rules need to evolve and in this case, the referee watching it needs to apply them properly.

It's not really clear who you're debating here me or Wilder....

(I posted the WIlder link in the spirit of giving the bloke a nod for being even-handed having shat all over VAR rightfully a few times before when on the receiving end of what he believed were shit decisions... )

I've criticised numerous aspects officiating; VAR, rules (both writing of and subsequent poor application of) and human effort. I'm not just blindly waving a stick and saying "VAR sucks!". Not mentioned prior but it is my distinct belief we are nurturing a new breed of passive refs not prepared to be responsible for making calls. Also, why no review of the blatant fore-arm stroke on Sonny?

Offsides can possibly be percieved as a VAR win; yes, but that alone doesn't placate the broader custerfuck which is unfolding in the wake of VAR being introduced.

deadleyledley didnā€™t say he was ā€˜crippledā€™ just hurt so why say that?

As I said before neither of us are doctors so we donā€™t know how he was affected

This sort of thing just highlights your agenda and doesnā€™t make any sense

He has strengths which is why three respected managers pick him and, like a lot of players he has weaknesses which are clearly offset by his strengths which you fail to acknowledge

Letā€™s not pretend you do t have a massive agenda here Baz. Pretty sure you werenā€™t as quick to acknowledge Ndombeleā€™s injuries when he was getting slaughtered.

You are watching it with your own eyes, both vids, that is not a player that is struggling with an injury that is preventing him from tracking a runner heā€™s stood next to or then just observing what is happening with Aurier and taking two steps to help him.

It was shit. Just own this one Baz.Or youā€™ll make me post more examples, and you wonā€™t like it.

Problem is Paul you are a bit nuts and would probably come to training wearing false breasts.

Apart from that having you as our coach would be great. Get in Chrissie Waddle as your number 2.
No 2 is Chris Hughton
Trainer M Jol
Striker Coaches Janssen and Postiga
Goalkeeping coach Jimmy 5 bellies
Associate Director for tactful comments Keith Burkinshaw
Entertainment Director Kings Cross District David Platt
Treasurer Terry Venables

Letā€™s not pretend you do t have a massive agenda here Baz. Pretty sure you werenā€™t as quick to acknowledge Ndombeleā€™s injuries when he was getting slaughtered.

You are watching it with your own eyes, both vids, that is not a player that is struggling with an injury that is preventing him from tracking a runner heā€™s stood next to or then just observing what is happening with Aurier and taking two steps to help him.

It was shit. Just own this one Baz.Or youā€™ll make me post more examples, and you wonā€™t like it.

It looked shit I agree but if he wasnā€™t 100% then that might explain it

Youā€™re a fine one to talk about agendas Blakey and I really donā€™t care how much time you want to waste posting any more clips because you won't change my mind

It will be interesting if heā€™s not injured if heā€™s selected on Monday

It's not really clear who you're debating here me or Wilder....

(I posted the WIlder link in the spirit of giving the bloke a nod for being even-handed having shat all over VAR rightfully a few times before when on the receiving end of what he believed were shit decisions... )

I've criticised numerous aspects officiating; VAR, rules (both writing of and subsequent poor application of) and human effort. I'm not just blindly waving a stick and saying "VAR sucks!". Not mentioned prior but it is my distinct belief we are nurturing a new breed of passive refs not prepared to be responsible for making calls. Also, why no review of the blatant fore-arm stroke on Sonny?

Offsides can possibly be percieved as a VAR win; yes, but that alone doesn't placate the broader custerfuck which is unfolding in the wake of VAR being introduced.

But what went before was an even bigger clusterfuck IMO. Every week games being decided by wrong decisions, especially offside. Every week the refereeing was the topic. Major games decided by flawed ā€œcommon senseā€ and human error.

I believe this is at least a step toward a more consistent form of officiating, but it will take refining over a few years. But even if we have just eradicated offside mistakes, and a percentage of other shit but kept some human flaws and stupid laws, thatā€™s still a massive improvement for me. I donā€™t buy this ā€œstops the gameā€ argument, the game stops anyway, all the time. Offside flags spoiled celebrations constantly. Etc.

It looked shit I agree but if he wasnā€™t 100% then that might explain it

Youā€™re a fine one to talk about agendas Blakey and I really donā€™t care how much time you want to waste posting any more clips because you won't change my mind

It will be interesting if heā€™s not injured if heā€™s selected on Monday

No Baz, thatā€™s the point, youā€™re the fine one to talk about agendas.

Saying no matter what shit things you see Sisdoko do, wonā€™t change your opinion of him is clearly an agenda. Itā€™s not rational or objective, it ignores evidence, So how can you lecture other people about agendas?

If it looks shit, smells like shit, tastes like shit....chances are it probably is shit.

I donā€™t think heā€™ll play Monday anyway, three straight games and that last one was awful. If Mourinho keeps doing the same stupid shit Poch did, heā€™ll be going the same way pretty soon. And I donā€™t just mean Sissoko.

Last edited:
But what went before was an even bigger clusterfuck IMO. Every week games being decided by wrong decisions, especially offside. Every week the refereeing was the topic. Major games decided by flawed ā€œcommon senseā€ and human error.

It still is; lets not kid ourselves otherwise.

I believe this is at least a step toward a more consistent form of officiating, but it will take refining over a few years. But even if we have just eradicated offside mistakes, and a percentage of other shit but kept some human flaws and stupid laws, thatā€™s still a massive improvement for me. I donā€™t buy this ā€œstops the gameā€ argument, the game stops anyway, all the time. Offside flags spoiled celebrations constantly. Etc.
[/QUOTE]

To a small degree, I agree with what you're saying about stoppages, BUT aside from once in a blue moon when a line-o will over-rule a ref., we never got multi-minute 'maybe' stoppages after every other significant incident? ...Essentially, off-side or foul was called; goal was disallowed and the game carried on. This 'should or shouldn't I celebrate' scenario is a newly created phenomena.

Ball went out of play in the build up to a United goal the other day... Such basic stuff as that are still not being eradicated; yet in other areas the fabric of the game is being altered to make the non-binary; binary.

Instead; why not eliminate all line calls from the ref's jurisdiction and let them focus on the non binary and clamp down on them not applying the letter of the law in terms of shirt pulling, obstructing quick FKs etc. etc.?

Not gonna pretend I wouldn't bitch and moan about refs in the past; but i certainly didn't request an increasingly sterile game where match's are still being fucked up by shit decisions and selectively deciding when and when not to adhere to certain rules.

A team of our ability should be putting teams like this away, not getting trashed by them big difference.
What ability is that? Be realistic. We don't have the ability at the moment. I don't like it anymore than you do but I have to accept it because it is an indisputable fact based on our results and position in the PL.

Back
Top Bottom