Should Dele Alli Stay Or Go Next Window ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Do will still wish to see Dele here when this window shuts or should he be sold/loaned ?

• He needs to stay and sort himself out

Votes: 94 41.4%
  • We should sell now before his value plummets

Votes: 97 42.7%
  • Loan deal only, a break will do him good then hopefully get the old Alli back.

Votes: 36 15.9%

• Total voters

Danboy Totter

This time next year rodders we'll be championship
I just think he is a very average footballer at the end of the day

Much said about his attitude but he has never been a great passer , tackler or dribbler

Good at getting on the end of eriksen crosses for a couple of years but that's it

Right now he’s at a place where he must impress in every bit of a chance he gets. I don’t think he was put in a position to succeed today, he’s average in the midfield.

It’s not too dissimilar than Tanguy’s situation last season unfortunately for Dele, he’s got 1/3 of the talent and more times than not, his talent only shows when he’s on the scoresheet.

Mr. Voldemort

No More Mr Nice Guy
Unfair to take him off tonight. Only crumb was he was one of three at half-time. Being placed under impossible pressure in my opinion.
No-one is demanding he scores a hat trick, four assists and a clearance off the line. It's not impossible pressure to just have to put in an acceptable performance and show some willingness to get involved in the game. He did not merit coming on second half as did most of the team perhaps but Dele knew that eyes were upon him tonight and he needed to put a shift in. He didn't.

So it's just about our perception of effort.

Get A silly when the only equation seens to be Alli must score or be perceived as busting a gut.

The bloke might as well be sold now on that basis
What did you see tonight (including effort) that would give you hope? He was shit & looked as uninterested as a professional sportsman could. I have completely backed our man, but he looks shit out of ambition as well as form

Right now he’s at a place where he must impress in every bit of a chance he gets. I don’t think he was put in a position to succeed today, he’s average in the midfield.

It’s not too dissimilar than Tanguy’s situation last season unfortunately for Dele, he’s got 1/3 of the talent and more times than not, his talent only shows when he’s on the scoresheet.
That's part of the problem, goals are how he's been judged. I think in his position assists are just as important as is overall play.

Too often in the past, he's had average games, chipped in with a goal and then everyone says "Dele's back".

He's never developed his all-round game to become a great team player rather than a scorer of the odd great goal which is what he's reduced to. Except now he isn't even scoring the great goals.

Airfixx

"Honka Espoo... We'll see you next year....."
By my reckoning the 2nd most senior member of that starting XI.... A wasted chance to stand up and be counted sadly.

Jose's comments after the game aught to ring ominously to his ears.

CSWY

Supporter
Up The Spurs
Haven’t seen the game so can’t comment on the specifics. I really like Dele as a person but on the pitch he seems to have lost all his magic, all his confidence, most of his ability and, most worryingly, his drive and desire to be successful. You’re fucked when that’s gone.

Mr. Voldemort

No More Mr Nice Guy
Haven’t seen the game so can’t comment on the specifics. I really like Dele as a person but on the pitch he seems to have lost all his magic, all his confidence, most of his ability and, most worryingly, his drive and desire to be successful. You’re fucked when that’s gone.
That is the whole crux of the problem. The guy seems to see himself as more of a media personality than a footballer. Instead of a regular first team slot and International recognition it's as if he'd rather be on a Reality TV show like Love Island.
Somebody needs to take him to one side and remind him that he's 24 years old, the clock (as far as a top footballer is concerned) is loudly ticking.

Unfair to take him off tonight. Only crumb was he was one of three at half-time. Being placed under impossible pressure in my opinion.
Impossible pressure? Good players thrive on pressure Dele has been very average for the past 2 years.
He has had the best part of 12 months to get his act together under Jose and has failed badly.
His 45 minutes tonight were what he has produced for the last 2 years

todd1882

Airfixx can't quit me!
I just think he is a very average footballer at the end of the day

Much said about his attitude but he has never been a great passer , tackler or dribbler

Good at getting on the end of eriksen crosses for a couple of years but that's it
Amazing that folks just can't come to this most simple explanation to the whole saga. Instead they have to cast aspersions on his character, make up stories about what's going on behind the scenes and construct elaborate fairy tales to explain what has been clear for some time at this point. He's just not and never has been a very good or well rounded footballer. Instead, he was the beneficiary of a system that clicked, a role within that system that minimized his deficiencies, and he scored goals as a result.

But of course acknowledging this at this point would also be tacit admission that these very same people had it wrong to begin with and they were duped by the shiny objects. I've never been a fan of his, Dele the player, and always thought we often won in spite of his efforts and even when he did contribute we suffered his presence for the other 89 minutes. However, I do have a problem with folks moving to crush Dele the person. It's not needed and it's not nice.

Amazing that folks just can't come to this most simple explanation to the whole saga. Instead they have to cast aspersions on his character, make up stories about what's going on behind the scenes and construct elaborate fairy tales to explain what has been clear for some time at this point. He's just not and never has been a very good or well rounded footballer. Instead, he was the beneficiary of a system that clicked, a role within that system that minimized his deficiencies, and he scored goals as a result.

But of course acknowledging this at this point would also be tacit admission that these very same people had it wrong to begin with and they were duped by the shiny objects. I've never been a fan of his, Dele the player, and always thought we often won in spite of his efforts and even when he did contribute we suffered his presence for the other 89 minutes. However, I do have a problem with folks moving to crush Dele the person. It's not needed and it's not nice.
Fair post

Bambi on Ice is my nickname for him because that’s exactly what he is. The ball bounces off him. He never seems comfortable on the ball. Can’t seem to control or direct a shot properly, and just generally looks a bang average player. Won’t forget him when he burst onto the scene and gave us those fantastic few years, but he simply hasn’t been good enough for 2 years now. It’s not a Mourinho thing, it’s a dele Ali thing. He’s lost his mojo and lost his ability it seems. Sell him ASAP before his reputation becomes non existent.

The guy seems to see himself as more of a media personality than a footballer. Instead of a regular first team slot and International recognition it's as if he'd rather be on a Reality TV show like Love Island.
That's a lot of speculation. How on earth do you conclude he thinks that way?

Mr. Voldemort

No More Mr Nice Guy
That's a lot of speculation. How on earth do you conclude he thinks that way?
I know the documentary cannot be taken too much as a guideline but to me he did come over in that as a somewhat immature individual using his boyish charm to try to impress his team mates and manager. His media posts too always seem to illustrate someone who is reluctant to accept the fact he has to grow up.
I realise he's still a relatively young man but I just don't see a person willing to devote the time and effort required to make it to the top as a footballer in the same way that Son does for example. He relies more on his personality than his ability to carry him through and now under Jose he's getting found out.
Just my opinion of course but there it is.

Top Bottom