Should Dele Alli Stay Or Go Next Window ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Do will still wish to see Dele here when this window shuts or should he be sold/loaned ?

• He needs to stay and sort himself out

Votes: 94 41.4%
  • We should sell now before his value plummets

Votes: 97 42.7%
  • Loan deal only, a break will do him good then hopefully get the old Alli back.

Votes: 36 15.9%

• Total voters
I know the documentary cannot be taken too much as a guideline but to me he did come over in that as a somewhat immature individual using his boyish charm to try to impress his team mates and manager. His media posts too always seem to illustrate someone who is reluctant to accept the fact he has to grow up.
I realise he's still a relatively young man but I just don't see a person willing to devote the time and effort required to make it to the top as a footballer in the same way that Son does for example. He relies more on his personality than his ability to carry him through and now under Jose he's getting found out.
Just my opinion of course but there it is.
You may be right. Personally I think it's a hell of a jump from seeing him on that documentary and seeing his twitter posts etc and concluding from that that he'd rather be on a reality show than a professional footballer.
Judge his performances as poor, by all means, but making guesses about his personality and motivation seems very harsh to me.

Mr. Voldemort

No More Mr Nice Guy
You may be right. Personally I think it's a hell of a jump from seeing him on that documentary and seeing his twitter posts etc and concluding from that that he'd rather be on a reality show than a professional footballer.
Judge his performances as poor, by all means, but making guesses about his personality and motivation seems very harsh to me.
As I said, just my opinion. He certainly has given no indication by recent performances that he's trying to knuckle down to life as a premier league footballer. Time will tell.

As I said, just my opinion. He certainly has given no indication by recent performances that he's trying to knuckle down to life as a premier league footballer. Time will tell.
Anyone who has played sport will have experienced times when you’re so desperate to play well, probably more desperate not to play badly, that you get so anxious about it. It’s easily to spiral in that situation.
It’s never quite as simple as - buckle down and as a result you play well again.

Some good examples with golfers. Once they start losing it they never get it back. It doesn’t mean they’re lazy or have a bad attitude. It’s a horrible feeling.

Last edited:

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
I do think we give him a last chance this season to prove he can get his mojo back. He’s not going to play every match and only needs a few good performances to be worth no less in the summer as he is now. Still contracted till 2024, so we shouldn’t lose too much value in taking a punt.

Him coming back in a City or United shirt terrifies me.
Really?

United won't buy him.

City could have a midfield of Winks and Dele. Yep then we would win the league !

AberdeenYid

I'm very rarely proud of myself
Really?

United won't buy him.

City could have a midfield of Winks and Dele. Yep then we would win the league !
You are quoting me from two games into the season, before he served up his recent shit shows.

Even saying that, we all know, but maybe don’t want to admit, that’s there’s still a player in there. I’d still fully expect him to remain at a high level if we sell him and also expect Dr Spursy to give him an easy welcome when he does come back.

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
You are quoting me from two games into the season, before he served up his recent shit shows.

Even saying that, we all know, but maybe don’t want to admit, that’s there’s still a player in there. I’d still fully expect him to remain at a high level if we sell him and also expect Dr Spursy to give him an easy welcome when he does come back.
He doesn't WANT to play for us anymore. Since loss to Iceland he seems to think that he can saunter about and have all the trappings of stardom.
What he seems to gave forgotten is that he plays football for a living.
Jose keeps hoping that there is a player in there but at the moment there is a hollow shell with no fight. At least he used to kick someone, now not even that !
Sell and buy others, we are not a resting home for loungers.

AberdeenYid

He doesn't WANT to play for us anymore. Since loss to Iceland he seems to think that he can saunter about and have all the trappings of stardom.
What he seems to gave forgotten is that he plays football for a living.
Jose keeps hoping that there is a player in there but at the moment there is a hollow shell with no fight. At least he used to kick someone, now not even that !
Sell and buy others, we are not a resting home for loungers.
I’m not sure your first line is correct, but let’s assume it is. Who do we replace him with that’s a better squad player, as experienced and also HG? And remember, we’ve to replace Winks too as he’s also “fucking shit”.

Mr. Voldemort

No More Mr Nice Guy
I’m not sure your first line is correct, but let’s assume it is. Who do we replace him with that’s a better squad player, as experienced and also HG? And remember, we’ve to replace Winks too as he’s also “fucking shit”.
At the moment I'd settle for one of these :
bwelt GIF by JOMPER

AberdeenYid

At the moment I'd settle for one of these :
bwelt GIF by JOMPER
Whilst mildly amusing, it’s not getting to an answer is it? No club has a squad of top class players that are all in form. Ever.

This that appear to be our weakest links / scapegoats at present are Davies, Dele and Winks. All experienced internationals, two HG and all capable of great performances. Just not getting that out of them just now. To have these three as our weakest links right now is remarkable. Even a year ago, they’d have been playing in every match.

This is a squad game and these guys are more than good enough for our squad.

Mr. Voldemort

No More Mr Nice Guy
Whilst mildly amusing, it’s not getting to an answer is it? No club has a squad of top class players that are all in form. Ever.

This that appear to be our weakest links / scapegoats at present are Davies, Dele and Winks. All experienced internationals, two HG and all capable of great performances. Just not getting that out of them just now. To have these three as our weakest links right now is remarkable. Even a year ago, they’d have been playing in every match.

This is a squad game and these guys are more than good enough for our squad.
I agree but when you talk about a replacement for Dele my frivolous pic of a bollard was an attempt to illustrate that in his current form anything could take his place. The point has also been raised in here whether or not the lad actually has it in him to up his game to the next level this squad and its ambitions demand ? I tend to think not based on recent performances.
Dele is not 'out of form', he's been under performing for quite some time, even going back to Poch's tenure. It's a problem that needs addressing and until the window re-opens the solution would appear to be not to consider him for selection.

Last edited:

todd1882

Airfixx can't quit me!

"We all" don't actually know this. Just because you are reaching this new reality doesn't mean some of us haven't been here for some time. If there was a 'player' in there a player would be able to adapt. There is no club above us in profile or performance that will want this player. There was one this summer but for a derisive loan offer of 1.5M. There is a reason for that and it's not because his game or potential "remain(s) at a high level". In fact it is the very opposite. And beyond that so few teams play with a 10 and fewer still with an inefficient/incompetent 10 that loses possession 11x in 1 half.

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
I would keep Winks ocer Dele at the moment.
He is like a cancer at this point. I would put him with the u 23s. Get some game time and lend him out to PGS in Jan.
Sarr at Watford ?
I would spend the money on a CH and hope that Bale starts playing.
We are clearly hoping that Phillips fancies a move

Why do they have to be as experienced? I don't think we are lacking experience in the squad.

As for a HG player that is a better squad player- Skipp is the obvious answer but don't want to bring him back. I think White offers as much as Dele does at this point, but really neither should be starting for our B team anyways so the difference between them isn't much.

Phillips would be a dream add to the team, but he didn't want to leave Leeds when they were in the Championship so not likely he moves now.

A guy like Eze that moved in the summer would be a better option for us.

David Brooks was a guy rumoured in the summer but he is Welsh so not sure if we have the same issues we do with Davies although he did spend time in United as a youth so that may change things.

Jarred Bowen would have been a nice addition but is not likely to leave West Ham now,

I would take Todd Cantwell off Norwich ahead of Dele.

Not that he would have likely come here but Bellingham would have been a great addition.

Would probably have to look into it deeper to get a real list but these are some guys that either recently moved or would likely be available so there are clearly options out there to fill his spot if we need a new HG MF to replace him.

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
Why do they have to be as experienced? I don't think we are lacking experience in the squad.

As for a HG player that is a better squad player- Skipp is the obvious answer but don't want to bring him back. I think White offers as much as Dele does at this point, but really neither should be starting for our B team anyways so the difference between them isn't much.

Phillips would be a dream add to the team, but he didn't want to leave Leeds when they were in the Championship so not likely he moves now.

A guy like Eze that moved in the summer would be a better option for us.

David Brooks was a guy rumoured in the summer but he is Welsh so not sure if we have the same issues we do with Davies although he did spend time in United as a youth so that may change things.

Jarred Bowen would have been a nice addition but is not likely to leave West Ham now,

I would take Todd Cantwell off Norwich ahead of Dele.

Not that he would have likely come here but Bellingham would have been a great addition.

Would probably have to look into it deeper to get a real list but these are some guys that either recently moved or would likely be available so there are clearly options out there to fill his spot if we need a new HG MF to replace him.
Cantrell is a good shout . They owe us a favour and we could lend them Marsh

Paul Gascoigne

Forum Jester
Mourinho has got a team building job to do especially with the back-up players.
I now understand why Bergy was not his choice, whyever did we buy another winger? He can't play C.F. and never beats a man.
People said they were surprised he was our choice and now so am I !

Top Bottom