Should Levy Go Too?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should Levy go with AVB?

• Yes

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 88 61.5%

• Total voters
Yeh, we've been going downhill ever since the day ENIC bought the club. Year by year it's got worse and worse at WHL.

Oh wait...
Exactly. When everyone has been saying how the sun shines out of his arse I've been reluctant to go along with that, precisely because Levy had made some mistakes. But, generally speaking, we are a vast improvement over the club he inherited. He is better the devil you know. We are financially sound and we are making baby steps forward. When the shit hits the fan you can't ever say that Levy doesn't act and doesn't then back the new man. Appointing a manager is not easy, especially for someone who is not a football man. He ultimately has to take a risk. The faults in the side at the moment are mostly AVB's. The Chairman is entitled to place at least some expectation in the manager to perform in the manner he is supposed to.

For every Chelsea, City and PSG there's an Anzhi and a Malaga. No thanks. Levy needs to rectify this situation immediately, sacking AVB and relying on 2 days preparation from an interim manager for a cup quarterfinal was fucking thick. If AVB had to go he should have put the club's best interests first and have someone permanent lined up before sacking him.

The more this goes on the more I'm starting to think that levy and his whole board need to go. I know we are performing as high as we can fairly expect given what we're up against (bigger stadia, clubs run by sugar daddies) and I can live with that. But then it's starting to fuck me off how he's conducted himself both with managers and in the transfer window at times making us basically either a laughing stock or a club that no one wants to deal with.

I've always appreciated what he's done in terms of raising standards post 90s. The new training ground is also great. But 13 years and one trophy is poorer than poor when all we've been promised is false dawn after false dawn.
As others have eluded to, ENIC and levy are the only constant in this period. Even his first ever sacking was terribly timed. We were building up to an fa cup semi against Woolwich. Now I know none of us liked George graham, but if I could have chosen one guy at the time who could have had the smarts to nick a win against that lot it was graham. But no, levy tried to make a populist choice by sacking TW evil ex gooner and replacing him with fan favourite hoddle. Right before a fucking semi against Woolwich for Christ sake.

Apologies that this is a bit of a semi literate rant but if I can find time I will try to write a slightly more coherent article about it tomorrow

tumbleweed GIF

Ever heard the concept doublethink?. So much hypocrisy on here. Fans are adamant AVB should have left, redknapp should have gone ...but lest not forget the two seasons 2012-13,2011-12 when AVB and redknapp were screaming for a striker, good ol save a buck levy brought in Nelsen and Saha and of course Holtby. The latter is indeed a great player. nonetheless. it shows the idiocy of trying to save a few quid rather than buy the players essential to the success of the club.

rewind a few more years ago, Jol had this club punching above its weight. All he needed was a few more signings to push on for a champions league spot. levy once again goes nuts and fires him, brings in ramos and spends £100m. Funny how history repeats itself.

Truth is we have hit a glass ceiling under levy, we will forever be a top 5/6 club always on the verge of champions league qualification. 1 or 2 players away, once we miss out it is back to selling players to stay competitive. Its a vicious cycle we can't break.

obviously it is the same old narrative of comparing spurs to the 90s and the sugar era.
If you need a new radiator for your car you don't get a new pair of tyres. This is my problem with levy. He does not buy in a rational or logical way.

He's a bald cunt that thinks the club is about him.

What has he achieved since he has been here? Bought some derelict buildings, balanced the books by selling our best players, fucking up transfer window after window and regularly sacked managers he has directly appointed.

Its time this fucking wanker took some responsibility.

Can we have a list of your preferred chairmen in the league?
(Don't forget important factors like their respective hair-loss situations. :gylfi:)

I do think our Chairman should stand up and be counted. By this I mean he should hold a press conference, or send out a letter to fans outlining what he wants from this club, I want to hear it from him and no one else. Stop fucking hiding Levy!!! I am glad we have a Chairman that doesn't tweet, or uses the club to promote his own profile, but we need to hear from you NOW!
With this in mind I also want to hear from Baldini, he is our DOF, this position shapes the identity of our club and right now we do not have an identity. So what are we doing about it Baldini?
Whilst I am on it, Sherwood. What is your role? What do you do? What are you responsible for? Who reports to you?

Levy owns part of the club and his best mate owns the majority. So Levy can basically stay as long as he wants.

Also why rid of Levy? I think he's done a great job. You guys need to get a reality check. For a club who hasn't won the league in over 50 years and has a ground capacity of under 40k - we are punching well above our weight.

Behind Levy. Behind Sherwood, Ramsey and Sir Les. Onwards and upwards - COYS!

When you look at the way our fans are treated, do ENIC come across as caring about us? Sky high prices, stewards on people's backs, (oo er missus). Are we really treated any better than City or Chelsea fans. We're just cash cows to be milked, and get told off if we moo too loud.

Mooooo-moooo :eek:

I cannot believe this conversation is even happening.

When I first started supporting Spurs we were basically today's Fulham of the time. Two years ago we were competing in the Champions League and only missed out on it by a hair's breadth the past two seasons.

This is madness, absolute madness.

The grass is always greener hey? That's what they thought at Ewood.
Yup. Better then devil you know with Levy I'm afraid.

People need to be careful what they wish for. Until we are top four mainstays I think there is just as much chance of us being bought and run into the ground via midtable obscurity, or even relegation, as there is us being bought out by a Trillionaire or sound investor.

I think we've just got to suck it up and hope that Levy gets it right sooner or later. I certainly think he has the ambition to. He probably just needs to listen to advice more when making his decisions.

Lets consider all the magnificent mistakes daniel levy has made

1) signing sigurdsson ( A player who came in before AVB was made manager). It was a decision he thought was wise but never thought how it would fit in with the team

2)We sold Modric and needed a CREATIVE midfielder, AVB wanted Moutinho. Instead he got Dembele. Good player but not a natural midfielder who can dictate the game intelligently and build up our attacks

3)As in 2011-12 so in 2012-13 we needed a striker, but oh mr levy once again said fuck logic and reason and saw a bargain called lewis holtby. I love the player but it did not make sense at the time and it was not the player we need

4) We played SHIT in the 2012-13 season, why was that? A lOPSIDED squad. Look at our midfield Livermore,Parker,Sandro,Huddlestone and Dembele. four out of 5 of these players were defensive orientated players and not the style of the players to play fast counterattacking and creative football.

5)Mistake number 5. AVB wanted a COMPLETE striker. like Benteke instead levy buys DEFOE 2.0 called soldado.Defoe and soldado are good player but poachers do not work in the modern game. There is a reason why spain won the world cup with no strikers.

6)Paulinho, box to box midfielder but obviously not worth £17m. Look at Everton's midfielder mccarthy and Barry. Creative and defensive player,its not complicated is it?. How is it playing a box to box midfielder and a defensive midfielder going to play nice posession barceloneque football, once again square pegs in round holes.

7)Lamela,we bought him for the POTENTIAL ,he was crying when he left roma and he barely speaks a world of english. Not to mention he DOES NOT BACKTRACK.Same goes for Eriksen, They need to be polished and simply arent ready to hit the ground running.

8)Why is kaboul still on the books?, we sold fucking caulker when it was he that should have went. Injury prone player just like ledley king. No offence to ledley king but its gambling having that as your number one defender for years like we have done and not having adequate back up options.

the list goes on and on, you guys want to pull the wool over your eyes and act like this guy knows what he is doing.He is an accountant wannabe football managerIt doesn;t matter whos on the market this winter s a bargain, priority is a LEFTBACK and or STRIKER not a bargain defensive midfielder levy

hate to break it to you boys but finances whether we like it or not determine the success of the modern football team...levy has taken us from a mid table team to one challenging for top 4 without any injection of ENIC's capital.. but any measure this is remarkable. sure his judgement of players hasnt been without fault but he did sign berba, modric, VDV, bale etc..we have got better under ENIC and i think installing baldini is evidence that levy understands that signing players seems to be his weakness. people forget about jol and ramos's pedigree given their failures at spurs but they were quality managers at the time, rednapp was a good choice and so was avb based on last year...
lets all step back for a moment and not blame simply levy/avb and start asking questions of the players who have been performing below their potential. we have the right type of players for a sucessful team we just arnt baking the ingredients right, maybe we need a new manager to get this right, maybe we dont...but levy and ENIC for all the bitching and moaning have made the club bigger, stronger and better placed for the future..
and if i discover some oil in my backyard i promise ill buy the club and spend some serious $$$

Levy promised the "next level" when he sacked Jol and increased ticket prices during that era. As much as he bought the likes of Carrick, Berba, Modric, Bale, etc. he also sold them against his managers' wishes at the time, yet somehow Brendan Rodgers is able to keep Luis Suarez. All 4 of our stars mentioned were sold under 4 different managers, at the end of the transfer windows whilst our top 4 rivals had pre-seasons with their already developed squads. We also bought back players we sold during that time, and we bought some older and deadwood players using the profits of our star players who we developed.

If you are saying that AVB should be cut some slack because we are still financially behind the top 4 teams, which I do somewhat agree with you on, then you also have to see there was no point in sacking Jol, Ramos or 'Arry before him or increasing the wages and ticket prices at all because they were never going to be backed enough either in terms of on the pitch, for the long term. As much as I thank Levy that we haven't done a Leeds, and he has kept us in profit, we still haven't hit the "next-level" he promised 7-8 years ago either. I honestly wouldn't mind so much, but the style of football and the atmosphere at WHL has deteriorated since then and I don't feel things like banning the drum and nicking anyone standing up and defending themselves as yids helps at all.

Like I said, I agree we don't have the finances, but he should have considered that before marketing us as a top 4 club because that is what the fans are paying for now.

People wanting to be right about everything all the time....isnt hindsight marvellous.

Levy cant pick a manger? He's not a 'football man' and knows this so he takes advice, when its been wrong he's acted quickly. None of the managerial appointments looked dreadful when they were made and that includes ditching old chalk bones for Hoddle (fan favourite), Ramos who had a great reputation when he came, Santini who was a risk but was managing France (not a small time job) and he put in enough back room staff to ensure a fall back and some contingency and we had Arnesen and Jol.

Baldini seems a decent move again to give some continituy and to make sure we dont have fucking pricks like wobblechops picking up Nelsen and Saha whilst telling the media there is plenty of money for a top (top) striker but he doesnt know how to spend it. Blaming Levy for signing this pair and consequently not pushing on when we had CL is picking the wrong target - he backed his manager with funds and backed his managers decisions. Not much more you could ask of a chairman.

He was a cunt over Startford but mostly off the pitch he's been great and he's tried to employ people who can do the 'on the pitch' stuff.

I'm sick of this bald cunt. I lost count of how many times the camera cutaway to him during the match yesterday.

How many managers has he appointed since his tenure? Its time he took responsibility for his actions and stood down.

His meddling in the transfers has cost us far more than his 'legendary' haggling.

I want this cunt out.

Back
Top Bottom