Should Levy Go Too?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should Levy go with AVB?

• Yes

Votes: 55 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 88 61.5%

• Total voters
Phil_Taylor-trophy_2440489b.jpg

e
fackn ell you meet some right saddos on the internet lol

@ Admin Admin you need to get your house in order mate

#proxyserver

I'm off to bed now to listn to the crickt.
But nevr forgt

Ive got you're numbr. And when I choose (or bothered) to make you look like the prat you are I can. With ease and impunity. (google it thicko)

Purely on football of course. But maybe, on occasion, I might make you reflect on the twat I'm sure you are in real life. I probably won't because I'm not a bully. And you are weak.

But I might.

I'm off to bed now to listn to the crickt.
But nevr forgt

Ive got you're numbr. And when I choose (or botherd) to make you look like the prat you are I can. With ease and impunity. (google it thicko)

Purely on football of course. But maybe, on occasion, I might make you reflect on the twat I'm sure you are in real life. I probably won't because I'm not a bully. And you are weak.

But I might.

only in the little peanut you call a brain is any of that close to being true

nite nite sweetie ;)

So you are proposing that the man who just got £86M for one player and spent £120M on half a dozen additions to the squad, is the root cause of the team being unable to string a coherent performance together?

Just what else does Levy have to do to justify that suggestion, do an abramovich and dictate team tactics as well?

This club got what its supporters wanted - that OLD tosser Redknapp sacked (despite having gotten us into europe twice (- one time due to circumstance) and having us play the best football I have seen at WHL since the 60's)
and he got the new Portugeezer wunderkind - despite all of the signs writ large from his tenure at Chelski -
and you are asking the man who granted you your wishes to be sacked?

Fantastic rationale.

Levy has been the main problem at Spurs. HR succeeded and brought us to a new level and Levy then decided to get rid..... I genuinely feel a little sympathy for AVB - we played the worst football I've witnessed for years however you can be certain he didn't get the players he wanted - something Levy blatantly promised him before be got involved in the suicide mission that is managing THFC - while Levy is at the helm. Why spend that money on a load of squad players - those buys are all too similar and Chadli was absolutely dismal today!! If Levy is this top level businessman why didn't he insist on getting Ozil plus cash in return for Bale or a few established players - am fed up of hearing about our relationship with RM we are clearly a feeder club to Europe's elite.
All those managerial appointments in a period of 11 years...... Shows there's something seriously wrong with how we are run. We single handedly proved the DOF don't work with Camolii etc... Why are we doing it again it's the managers decision who he implements in his team not Baldini - the new lads are proving that point down to the T

I`m surprised this poll shows a two thirds majority wanting him to stay. Astonished actually. I can think of so many negatives he`s heaped upon our great club.....Always selling our best players, refusing to strengthen in January with Champions league there for the taking, no sign of a new stadium, not giving the managers he appoints the support they deserve, running the club for profit only, and the blatant lying to the supporters "As a club we will always strive to keep our best players" when we all know what he really means is "As a club we will always strive to attain the highest transfer fee possible for our best players". I could go on and on with the negatives, but with regard to the positives, I cant actually think of any.. Yet he still commands the respect and support of 60% of the users on this forum. Baffling.

I`m surprised this poll shows a two thirds majority wanting him to stay. Astonished actually. I can think of so many negatives he`s heaped upon our great club.....Always selling our best players, refusing to strengthen in January with Champions league there for the taking, no sign of a new stadium, not giving the managers he appoints the support they deserve, running the club for profit only, and the blatant lying to the supporters "As a club we will always strive to keep our best players" when we all know what he really means is "As a club we will always strive to attain the highest transfer fee possible for our best players". I could go on and on with the negatives, but with regard to the positives, I cant actually think of any.. Yet he still commands the respect and support of 60% of the users on this forum. Baffling.
He aint perfect...
but he aint Tan

Levy also seems to have an incredible gift of pissing off other chairmen too.

There's been a few times where his fucking about has come back to bite us on the arse

I`m surprised this poll shows a two thirds majority wanting him to stay. Astonished actually.

The poll was made before AVB was sacked so I don't know if it is entirely accurate. I voted based on the assumption that Levy would sack AVB but if you look at the start of the thread a lot of people didn't believe it would happen so probably would've voted differently.

At least more people now aren't so gung ho about ENIC. I've been a critic of their trophy return for years, but so many people used to disagree, sometimes in a 'not very nice' fashion.

I was also very outnumbered, and often lambasted (oo er Matron) for my view we'd be far better off with a billionaire benefactor than ENIC. I think even that 'outrageous' view is less unpopular these days, though still generally unpopular I find.

If we want to be serious players at the top table, ie title winners/runners up and/or CL winners/finalists, ENIC need to be replaced or change their stance. This has been the case for the last ten years or more, and will remain the case till they finally depart.

At least more people now aren't so gung ho about ENIC. I've been a critic of their trophy return for years, but so many people used to disagree, sometimes in a 'not very nice' fashion.

I was also very outnumbered, and often lambasted (oo er Matron) for my view we'd be far better off with a billionaire benefactor than ENIC. I think even that 'outrageous' view is less unpopular these days, though still generally unpopular I find.

If we want to be serious players at the top table, ie title winners/runners up and/or CL winners/finalists, ENIC need to be replaced or change their stance. This has been the case for the last ten years or more, and will remain the case till they finally depart.

Look, Andy Dawson isn't fit to wear the shirt, just because ENIC didn't sign him up doesn't mean the next administration will.

am i right in thinking that there still has not been any official statement on why avb was actually sacked and what circumstances lead up to this decision? @ Darren A have there been any more discussion about this through the trust?

Your so right mate. The only thing he has ever done is manage to keep the club out of debt and pay the shareholders fat dividends. As far as the supporters are concerned, what the hell has he ever done for them ?

The fact is we DO have a billionaire benefactor. I don't want to be a Citeh or a Chelsea, but uncle Joe is very old now and will die a very rich man. Why not invest a few hundred million in the club (peanuts to him) and see Spurs win something before he dies. I really don't understand any ones obsession with money, when it's not used to bring happiness

The fact is we DO have a billionaire benefactor. I don't want to be a Citeh or a Chelsea, but uncle Joe is very old now and will die a very rich man. Why not invest a few hundred million in the club (peanuts to him) and see Spurs win something before he dies. I really don't understand any ones obsession with money, when it's not used to bring happiness

That won't help us now anyway since Financial Fair Play is now in effect. I can't necessarily see it being used against a Chelsea, City, Real Madrid or Barcelona...but I could see a club of our stature being used as an example of what happens when clubs break the FFP rules.

As far as Levy goes...

It's a frustrating one because we've clearly improved under him to the point where we are now continuously finishing in the top seven and are almost guaranteed some form of European football every year. He's steadied the ship financially BUT I feel like his stepping back from footballing responsibilities has left him a little exposed. It's difficult to know how we're going to make the next step upwards on the pitch.

The right manager at the right time is the difference. Our cycle seems to be - foreign manager performs to a degree but is then removed when it seems apparent that the club's long term ambitions won't be met. Then an Englishman is brought in to steady the ship - cue a season of transition (if it wasn't one already). Said Englishman performs relatively well - probably above the expectations for him (because he's English), partly simply because those new players have had a chance to settle and play simpler, freer football. But they hit a glass ceiling too. So the next logical step is to go for a manager who can match the club's ambitions. Like, um, y'know...that foreign bloke...he won all those trophies?

Add to that - there's a similar cycle going on with our Director of Football position. So far, Comolli has been vindicated in many of his actions at Spurs (though his record is far from perfect) and I suspect that we may see the back of Baldini before his signings come to fruition.

Point is that Levy CAN do more than just keep faith in the foreign manager for longer. Levy could have no sold Bale. He could have dug his heels in and been clear with AVB, with Real Madrid and all and sundry: no, Gareth Bale is a Tottenham Hotspur player and will remain so until the end of his career unless I say so. The phrase 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' seems pretty dead-on, since we used the Bale money early on a number of signings who are the equivalent of AVB - untested in the league and something of a gamble. Had we kept Bale and perhaps splashed out on Soldado and Paulinho (and yes, spent some money in net terms over the summer), the resulting squad under AVB could have been very different. It could have genuinely challenged for the title.

I realise that this post and this topic are days behind and somewhat out of date. But the issues remain relevant because what we're seeing is the renewal of the cycle. And inevitably we'll hit two points with Sherwood - Levy will start hunting for a replacement AND Levy will need to decide what to do with the next big desired player. Do we continue to sell or do we actually use those long contracts as what they're meant for?

Increasingly, my feeling is that the entrenchment of these patterns can be dangerous. Tottenham may never rise above this station as a modest 'big club' that spins money from the fans but never actually has its moment in the sun. And by God - if one club deserves a moment in the Sun...is it not Spurs?

I'd still love a billionaire benefactor in, and we could take our chance with FFP. For one thing spending money to build the stadium would be okay with FFP, AFAIK. That releases more of our income to buy players, both now and crucially in the future when the new stadium brings in bigger income. I would expect some of the money we've already spent/are spending on the stadium could be offset against FFP. There must be many ways 'round' FFP, and I'd take the chance all day long.

That won't help us now anyway since Financial Fair Play is now in effect. I can't necessarily see it being used against a Chelsea, City, Real Madrid or Barcelona...but I could see a club of our stature being used as an example of what happens when clubs break the FFP rules.

As far as Levy goes...

It's a frustrating one because we've clearly improved under him to the point where we are now continuously finishing in the top seven and are almost guaranteed some form of European football every year. He's steadied the ship financially BUT I feel like his stepping back from footballing responsibilities has left him a little exposed. It's difficult to know how we're going to make the next step upwards on the pitch.

The right manager at the right time is the difference. Our cycle seems to be - foreign manager performs to a degree but is then removed when it seems apparent that the club's long term ambitions won't be met. Then an Englishman is brought in to steady the ship - cue a season of transition (if it wasn't one already). Said Englishman performs relatively well - probably above the expectations for him (because he's English), partly simply because those new players have had a chance to settle and play simpler, freer football. But they hit a glass ceiling too. So the next logical step is to go for a manager who can match the club's ambitions. Like, um, y'know...that foreign bloke...he won all those trophies?

Add to that - there's a similar cycle going on with our Director of Football position. So far, Comolli has been vindicated in many of his actions at Spurs (though his record is far from perfect) and I suspect that we may see the back of Baldini before his signings come to fruition.

Point is that Levy CAN do more than just keep faith in the foreign manager for longer. Levy could have no sold Bale. He could have dug his heels in and been clear with AVB, with Real Madrid and all and sundry: no, Gareth Bale is a Tottenham Hotspur player and will remain so until the end of his career unless I say so. The phrase 'a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush' seems pretty dead-on, since we used the Bale money early on a number of signings who are the equivalent of AVB - untested in the league and something of a gamble. Had we kept Bale and perhaps splashed out on Soldado and Paulinho (and yes, spent some money in net terms over the summer), the resulting squad under AVB could have been very different. It could have genuinely challenged for the title.

I realise that this post and this topic are days behind and somewhat out of date. But the issues remain relevant because what we're seeing is the renewal of the cycle. And inevitably we'll hit two points with Sherwood - Levy will start hunting for a replacement AND Levy will need to decide what to do with the next big desired player. Do we continue to sell or do we actually use those long contracts as what they're meant for?

Increasingly, my feeling is that the entrenchment of these patterns can be dangerous. Tottenham may never rise above this station as a modest 'big club' that spins money from the fans but never actually has its moment in the sun. And by God - if one club deserves a moment in the Sun...is it not Spurs?

this really deserves to be made an article because you hit the nail on the head. Summed it up in a nut shell. I don't think many on here can see digest this other than say fackin Micheal Dawson and sack the manager. We have hit a glass ceiling under Levy. His management style has us spiralling on the precipice of a top 4 finish for the last couple of years.

Fuck it, I'm bringing this up again.

I still blame Levy/ENIC for all this mess.
The Bale sale was a good move by them (given how much $ we received) ... it's what happened afterwards. They fucked up so much good potential ... starting from the transfers this Summer to the recent Sherwood appointment.

That being said, I still can't even point a finger at Levy ... with a straight face. I mean, at times I hate him, but then all of the sudden - Whammy! - Levy rehires Bloomfield, which is fucking brilliant because ArseAnal would have benefited so much from that.

Maybe the thing is that Levy/ENIC have punched their weight to the fullest.
Maybe we should just thank them for what they have done because now they're just doing more harm than good.

I really wish I had a clue what is going on behind the scenes.
I don't know what to think about Spurs anymore. I'm brain dead.
Ahhh! ... I'm such a hypocrite and a contradicter when it comes to spurs.

:walker-scream:

Back
Top Bottom