Should the FA Cup Winners get a CL spot?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SpiderSpurs

Supporter
🪃🦘 Bonza!! 🦘🪃
Many of the replies to this tweet advocate a CL spot to 'revitalise' The FA Cup. Can't see the PL letting one of its spots go...

What would you do to bring back the magic of the cup, or is it too late?

Would be a slap in the face to all the other Cup competitions. However, if they make Coppa Italia, Copa del Rey, Coupe de France etc. also get a Champions League spot (by removing the 4th place CL spot), I'm all for it.

Yes give fa cup winners a cl spot.
scrap semi finals at Wembley , go back to neutral grounds .
go back to 3pm kick off for the final

Not the best idea.

The fake 'magic of the cup' usually happens when the PL teams play their second string and the lower level teams beat them. If the top teams play their best 11s to get the CL spot, then goodbye to the fake 'magic'.

How much more money?

Where would this extra money come from?
Their turnover is £376m
I believe a total of £121m is paid out to all participants.
I don’t know how much more is required, the only ones that have the answer to that are the Clubs. But they are competing with:
1. Staying in the PL is worth a min £100m per season + sponsorships fees linked to Remaining in PL
2. CL is worth almost another £100m

They are the richest Football Association in the World, made up of the most watched football pyramid in a he World, playing in the most historic Club Cup compitition in the World.

Not a fan of the idea. If the cup itself isn't enough to be it's own reward then as a competition it needs to have a look at itself (not look to another cup to give it a leg up).

Top 4 aggregates to a more worthy qualifier for "Europes elite club competition" (tm).

Not for me. You can't have a club getting into the CL after a run of 8 games in my opinion. Would just devalue the CL.

And don't forget one of the top 4 usually wins it anyway.

scrap semi finals at Wembley , go back to neutral grounds .

This!

It used to be the pinnacle and its own reward just for reaching the final to trot out onto the hallowed turf at Wembley - its what made the final so special.

Now they've sold out and you have the semis there, it's just a little bit of an anticlimax in the final that both teams already played there.

This!

It used to be the pinnacle and its own reward just for reaching the final to trot out onto the hallowed turf at Wembley - its what made the final so special.

Now they've sold out and you have the semis there, it's just a little bit of an anticlimax in the final that both teams already played there.
Easier for the FA hanger ons to get tickets if the semis are at Wembley, so I don't see that changing.

I remember Villa Park in '87.

Last edited:
It’s just another national cup tournament these days. I guess for younger fans it’s hard to imagine how esteemed this competition used to be just 15-20 years ago. The FA Cup was a massive achievement, and being a ‘cup team’ was seen as a strength. 30 years ago we were famous for our historical success in the FA Cup, and I think in ‘91 we held the record for winning it.

Cup Final day was a national event. Helicopters tracking the team buses, hours and hours of build-up. Everyone would watch it regardless of who was playing.

Then Ferguson opted out of it, followed by other Prem clubs using it to test their youth players. As already mentioned, moving the semis to Wembley ruined the uniqueness of the final (along with the changes to Wembley itself), and of course the sponsorship. Such a shame.

I don’t think it should lead to a CL spot, and I doubt UEFA would allow it anyway.

I remember Villa Park in '87.
Me too, with the chip shop owner in goal for them. We were shooting from 40 yards - hilarious. The pub we were in before the game literally ran out of beer ha ha.

I, like you, took the final defeat badly. How we won nothing that season was incomprehensible. Going out to woolwich in the League Cup semi-final replay was very hard to take - especially when those cunts attacked the Milford just before KO with only about 20 of us still in it. All the windows went in at the same time and the cunts fired distress flares inside. They didn’t get inside, but watching the optics on fire was surreal. There were millions of the cunts and they paid a heavy price - about 200 pint glasses were launched out in about a minute - you couldn’t miss there were so many of them. The fruit machines were pushed over to block the doors and it was touch and go for a minute.

Unfortunately a few of ours who left just before got badly cut. ‘87 was shit.

Back
Top Bottom