Should the FA Cup Winners get a CL spot?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No - invariably it's a top four side anyway, but winning the FA Cup means playing 7 games possibly against lower division and 2nd string teams ... finishing 4th in the EPL means getting good results over 38 games against the best teams in the UK. Which is harder?

Football should reward success built on hard work not just luck of the draw and a couple of good games.

No not a Champions league spot.

But increase the prize money.
Invite teams from all of Britain / Ireland.
Set a strong player restriction quota that ensures mostly 'home grown' players feature.
Increase the ticket allocation for teams supporters at Wembley - exclude some corporate / club Wembley.
Bring back neutral semi final venues - the road to Wembley should be the final alone.
Ditch the league cup, start the competition earlier in the season - revise Premier league round entries.

NO, and while I'm at it neither should 2nd 3rd 4th in their leagues.
Damn right.....but I would give the FA cup a reason to exist so here’s a crazy idea , gonna go all NFL on this
Firstly abolish the Europa league and only have the Champions league.

To which;

All League winners qualify.
Runners up from top tier leagues qualify.
Main Domestic Cup Winners qualify.
Secondary Cup winners from top tier leagues qualify.

Then seed a load of groups based on the following:

Seed 1 - League winners.
Seed 2 - Cup winners.
Seed 3 - League Runners up.
Seed 4 - Secondary Cup winners.

After the groups are completed all winners go through and a certain amount of runners up (not all) based on points, goals scored etc etc to decide those runners up who qualify making up 32 teams.

Using the same format ALL teams are then seeded from No1 seed to No32 (this means almost every game means something to the bitter end) with the highest seed then having home advantage in the 2nd leg. With 1 playing 32, 2 playing 31 and so on. After that round the format continues with the highest seed playing the lowest seed left etc etc until two teams remain......

Let’s go UFEA!!

Absolutely no.

I was / am also against Europa League winners getting a Champions League spot for what it's worth. Entire tournament just a big qualifying round.

Agree with semi finals back at neutral club grounds and 3pm kicks off for the final again.

Sadly the domestic cups are both largely irrelevant have been for about 15 years, but they are being kept on life support.
The league cup for me needs to go.
As do international fixtures during the season, we are flogging these guys to death.

This might bring a bit of prestige back to the FA cup, when you see it being abused by the likes of Klopp and in recent seasons Poch.

But in answer to your question about a CL place, that's never going to happen.

Not sure what the solution is,but i would love the FA Cup to have the prestige it had when i was a kid.To be honest,it hasn't felt the same since we last won it in 91.
Man U skipping the 3rd round didn't help matters,nor did the powers that be(TV), messing about with the traditional 3pm ko.

4th place in a league is not in any way ‘Champion’. No title, no medal and very little glory.

FA Cup winners should be elevated to CL in my opinion.

4th place in a league is not in any way ‘Champion’. No title, no medal and very little glory.

FA Cup winners should be elevated to CL in my opinion.

While 4th place in a league may not be a "champion", 4th place in the Premier League in 2017-18 won the Champions League final in 2019 (and third place in the league finished runners up). Remove 4th place, and Liverpool don't win the UCL in 2019...they don't even qualify. Wigan are the only club in the last ten years that have won the FA Cup without having a real shot at the top 4, and they were relegated the same season. How much sense would it make to see a Championship side in the UCL?

While I agree that UCL Qualification adds some excitement to the FA Cup, it does no better than allow a less-competitive club into the most-elevated club competition in the world. The best 4 clubs in the EPL are the best 4 in England, proven over a evenly-scheduled season among the top 20. In my view, a fifth-placed Manchester United did not deserve to go to the Champions League over the 4th-placed Manchester City in 2015-16, simply because they won the FA Cup. Both clubs played the same opponents home and away during the 38-match season, and Man City did what was needed to finish 4th. In ManU's FA Cup run, the most difficult match they had was an away tie at West Ham, who finished 7th in the league.

While 4th place in a league may not be a "champion", 4th place in the Premier League in 2017-18 won the Champions League final in 2019 (and third place in the league finished runners up). Remove 4th place, and Liverpool don't win the UCL in 2019...they don't even qualify. Wigan are the only club in the last ten years that have won the FA Cup without having a real shot at the top 4, and they were relegated the same season. How much sense would it make to see a Championship side in the UCL?

While I agree that UCL Qualification adds some excitement to the FA Cup, it does no better than allow a less-competitive club into the most-elevated club competition in the world. The best 4 clubs in the EPL are the best 4 in England, proven over a evenly-scheduled season among the top 20. In my view, a fifth-placed Manchester United did not deserve to go to the Champions League over the 4th-placed Manchester City in 2015-16, simply because they won the FA Cup. Both clubs played the same opponents home and away during the 38-match season, and Man City did what was needed to finish 4th. In ManU's FA Cup run, the most difficult match they had was an away tie at West Ham, who finished 7th in the league.
Just to say if the FA Cup winners won the CL its likely that all those examples would change due to the increased focus on the competition. It would likely to be won by the top 6 or 7 teams and increase the prestige of the completion.

Typically the top 4 teams over a season will be the top 4 richest teams over the season (not recently but its likely to revert to normal over time), giving the 4th place to FA cup could add a bit of variety to the proceedings making the league more competitive as the extra £50M-£100M gets spread around.

4th place only seems like a goal because it gives you CL, take it away and its nothing its not inherently an achievement. At least FA cup is a (diminishing) achievement. It will also have the added benefit of only 3 teams a year getting it through the league making it harder to consistently achieve qualification. I say this is a good thing as it has a chance of making the league more competitive as you cant "bank" on the extra £100M.

If you think that the 4 best teams should go to the CL then I cant fault your logic, I don't think this needs to be the case.

- Its never going to happen and its much more likely the super league will lock in those entering the CL.

While I agree that UCL Qualification adds some excitement to the FA Cup, it does no better than allow a less-competitive club into the most-elevated club competition in the world. The best 4 clubs in the EPL are the best 4 in England, proven over a evenly-scheduled season among the top 20. In my view, a fifth-placed Manchester United did not deserve to go to the Champions League over the 4th-placed Manchester City in 2015-16, simply because they won the FA Cup. Both clubs played the same opponents home and away during the 38-match season,
I get your point but, personally, I think the chance of a lower league or lesser PL side getting in the CL would add both romance and interest to the FA Cup and Champions League. Otherwise it’s just the same old teams staggering over the line to another CL qualification. 4th place last year didn’t deserve qualification. None of the teams slumbering and stumbling in that upper mid table position deserved the glory of CL - even though it ended up being us. Might even have pushed us on more on the final.

Not a chance.

However, changes definitely need to be made. Perhaps you have to register your match day squad a week before and removing semi finals from Wembley would be a good start.

Not a chance.

However, changes definitely need to be made. Perhaps you have to register your match day squad a week before and removing semi finals from Wembley would be a good start.
What would registering the match day squad a week before bring?

Back
Top Bottom