Should we organise a protest/march outside the Tottenham Stadium against the ESL?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Unless we get actual confirmation that Tottenham have withdrawn from the Super League, I implore all of you that can to still go and protest tomorrow. Don't take tonight's events as a sign of confirmed victory.

Keep the fight up until we have what we want.

And even if we get confirmation before the game. Still go just to hammer home the point that we will not forget this.

As a foreign fan, I have no way to be on site tomorrow to protest this. But I did utilize the option that the trust encouraged and actually wrote Daniel an email. It will probably not amount to much but I have said my piece now.

For those looking to do the same here is mine if you need inspiration.
Dear Mr. Levy,

I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to you as a concerned supporter of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. I am a “modern fan”, having been a fan of the club for the past 15 years but having supported it from distant shores (Sweden). So, I have been along for the ride so to speak for most of your time as custodian of this beautiful club. Numerous times during that period I have defended you and your actions when you have been faced with criticism and backlash from the fanbase. The supposed move to Stratford, transfer windows with little investment, the sacking of Mauricio Pochettino and the Jose Mourinho hiring. I have been an understanding and rational supporter through all of this. Understanding that the development projects of the Hotspur Way training ground and the new stadium having taken up a lot of capital and focus that could have been invested in the first team instead. And that those investments were made for the long-term benefit of the club. I have been a firm believer in you and the club’s approach to growth being the “right way”. You have stuck to running Tottenham as a self-sufficient business and I commend you for that. Overall, I would say that your time as custodian of the club has been a success.

But this weekend, the club announced some news that has me deeply concerned for the future direction of the club that I love. I am deeply saddened to have read the news that we will be involved with the European Super League. To me, it means selling out our core values that makes English and European football such a great sport to be involved with. And joining a closed-circuit super league does not only abandon those values, but the entire English football pyramid as a whole. Over the years I have watched you guide this club up the food chain of English football. And seeing you burn the ladder below you and preventing other clubs to do the same in the future does not sit right with me. Your actions over the weekend have put the club, its reputation and the reputation of its fans into disrepute. And I feel that it is my duty as a fan of not only this club, but the game as a whole to speak up.

On some level, I can understand your decision. The money offered must be mouth-watering. And if you had denied your invitation another club would surely have taken it. But as a fan of the game of football who holds its values close to my heart I must object. I also question if you and the other chairmen/owners of the smaller clubs involved with this project know exactly what it is that you are sacrificing for financial gain. You are sacrificing the possibility of competitive sporting success (something you have done so well to improve us in over the last decade) for what just seems to be a larger pile of money at the end of the day.

These recent actions lead me to having to question your status as custodian of this great club, as you like to call yourself. If you are willing to abandon the core values of English football for this super league, you are not only putting this club that we both love so much at risk, but clubs all over the football pyramid. Your actions will not only affect Tottenham, but it will affect Crystal Palace, Queens Park Rangers, Leyton Orient and more. Even clubs all over Europe will feel the aftershocks of this decision and thus I must implore you to reconsider. The beauty of football is that it includes both the potential for great success, but also great risk. Success and glory must be earned, not bought. Up until recently I believed that you agreed with this notion. But now I must question if you do?

I do not know you Mr. Levy. I do not know the inner workings of your mind and what I do know about you comes from the interviews that you have given over the years. But I like to believe that you are more than just a businessman out to make a profit. That you are as you claim, a fan of this club first and foremost. And I do hope that you prove that you are a fan to the rest of us and abandon this vain and foolish endeavour.

I shall not keep you long Mr. Levy. As I understand that you are a busy man. But I shall leave you with a quote from Bill Nicholson, arguably the greatest manager that Spurs has ever had.
“The public can’t be kidded. They know what they want to see, what is good and what is bad and what is just average. At least I believe they do.”

Among others, it is the legacy of Bill Nicholson that you are a custodian of in your role as chairman of this club. And I hope that you can see reason and realize that by joining this Super League in search for artificial glory, you are abandoning and besmirching the legacy that we, the supporters of this club, “legacy” and modern alike, have entrusted you with safe keeping.

Good day to you Mr. Levy. I do not expect a response. But now I have said my piece and I am looking forward to better news from the club soon.

Best regards,
You are more polite than I will be.

A few lines telling him to resign is my thought on the matter.

We can start with a few template emails for all fans to fill in and send to a few select recipients at the club.
No doubt it's all filtered and scanned by an AI system, if the scanner returns 20k or so emails all saying "no to super league" then we gave them a nudge at least

If what was too much for me? The team take zero revenue from posting on this forum. That a competition that concentrates wealth is too much for some is bizarre. That IS the Premier League! Its a strange hill to die on when six thousand five hundred people are dead in Qatar. When people who behead more folk than isis run these sainted ball kicking institutions. I'm sorry but if you can't see the whole bloody shit show is a moral vacuum then you never will. Never mind that we enjoy following our clubs and have such fun with our mates..six thousand dead let that sink in, and folk want outrage at this its laughable.
My reasons for protesting are primarily because it would make following Tottenham shit, not because it has suddenly made football "immoral". More selfish, I guess. Yes FIFA/UEFA are a moral vacuum (though I've never paid a penny to FIFA). So is pretty much everything under capitalism. By the same rationale you would never eat meat or anything sold in a supermarket, buy pretty much any product sold on a High Street, you'd never watch TV or use google, amazon, etc. You'd basically have to live off grid.

My reasons for protesting are primarily because it would make following Tottenham shit, not because it has suddenly made football "immoral". More selfish, I guess. Yes FIFA/UEFA are a moral vacuum (though I've never paid a penny to FIFA). So is pretty much everything under capitalism. By the same rationale you would never eat meat or anything sold in a supermarket, buy pretty much any product sold on a High Street, you'd never watch TV or use google, amazon, etc. You'd basically have to live off grid.
I hear you but its ALL already a corrupt joke. Its not refusing to use Google or living off grid. This is not some fair trade coffee style choice. The team we are going to play in the final at the weekend are owned by people who kill gays. Can you not see the virtues you think still exist were stolen decades ago? You can't be that naive can you... You seem like a good guy but you really need to be way more honest about what the game we follow has become.

Last edited:
Just preparing myself for tomorrow

Get out of our club.
Get out of our club
You greedy bastard
Get out of our club

Levy you're a cunt,
Levy Levy, you're a cunt

We want Levy out, we want Levy out

Solidarity and sustainability: including “affordable ticket prices” and “reinvestment into the football pyramid via ongoing and substantial solidarity payments”. The document adds: “Super League solidarity payments will grow automatically with overall league revenues and will be more than three times higher than payments coming from the current European championship.”

Commitment to domestic leagues: “The new Super League has been designed around the principle of maintaining strong and vibrant local leagues and we will continue to compete each weekend in our national competitions as we always have.”
How strange that they never even tried to “sell the benefits”. On reflection it must have been deliberately kak handed for reasons that are not yet clear. Absolutely no way on earth the clubs could get their PR this wrong is there ? especially so when this type of document was there to be seen. Something very odd and off about this whole episode.

I'll be there. Going to abuse the printer at work and make some signs to share out. Need to vent, Fucking ENIC/Levy out - overstayed your welcome and you need to do one.

Solidarity and sustainability: including “affordable ticket prices” and “reinvestment into the football pyramid via ongoing and substantial solidarity payments”. The document adds: “Super League solidarity payments will grow automatically with overall league revenues and will be more than three times higher than payments coming from the current European championship.”

Commitment to domestic leagues: “The new Super League has been designed around the principle of maintaining strong and vibrant local leagues and we will continue to compete each weekend in our national competitions as we always have.”
Cheers for that.

I'm wondering if that's why they announced it when they did, as in it was going to be leaked.
The timing of the announcement was very strange to me. They could of waited for a couple of months and when the season ended and all European competitions over and then announced it.

Can't be kicked out of the league or European competitions as they'd be finished and have the summer then for all the fallout and negotiations.

Cheers for that.

I'm wondering if that's why they announced it when they did, as in it was going to be leaked.
The timing of the announcement was very strange to me. They could of waited for a couple of months and when the season ended and all European competitions over and then announced it.

Can't be kicked out of the league or European competitions as they'd be finished and have the summer then for all the fallout and negotiations.
The late Sunday announcement of 12 clubs "with more to be announced and further details" all screamed that some journo somewhere had something definitive and they were going to scoop it.

Whoever that bastard is probably saved things, because, as you say, otherwise they likely wait longer and have everything in order. It happens in the middle of the summer, there'd be grumbling, protests, etc. But the initial shock and furor passes, the ESL clubs all go on a summer spending spree and everyone kinda accepts it before August rolls around.

That's why I really thought they'd hold the line.

Cheers for that.

“At its heart, this is a comprehensive solution to the critical issues facing the sport. It starts with the fans of the game, giving them what they want and deserve; the best players and the world’s top clubs competing with each other throughout the year.”

Maybe but their reasoning seems flawed. Honestly don't know anyone that wants that. If every game is a big game, no game is a big game.

Last edited:
The late Sunday announcement of 12 clubs "with more to be announced and further details" all screamed that some journo somewhere had something definitive and they were going to scoop it.

Whoever that bastard is probably saved things, because, as you say, otherwise they likely wait longer and have everything in order. It happens in the middle of the summer, there'd be grumbling, protests, etc. But the initial shock and furor passes, the ESL clubs all go on a summer spending spree and everyone kinda accepts it before August rolls around.

That's why I really thought they'd hold the line.
If you were to be ultra cynical you could see this as a huge 'scam' perpetrated by the big clubs in order to force UEFA to give them everything they wanted ...

Let's face it the whole debacle is weird, there has been zero attempt by the mysterious ESL to promote their idea, to tell us it's benefits, to sell it to us in anyway. No owners, chairmen, players have come out with statements in support, no documents or financial projections have been released, in fact apart from telling us "their are 12 teams already involved" what have we been told that isn't just media created gossip and pure speculation?

Now just a few days later with no financial cost, sure they got dogs abuse but they get that anyway, not only have they got UEFA to release the planned 2024 European Football structure, it would appear that structure falls in line with what UEFA just a few weeks ago had refused to concede, namely the big clubs are pretty much guaranteed entry just as they are now, the big clubs will be seeded on long term co-efficient effectively guaranteeing the same seeds every year, the big clubs will get to play home and away in a league format, again almost ensuring that the odd 'giant-killing' will not stop the same top sixteen making up the vast majority of every seasons final sixteen, and crucially that the money generated will be shared based on performance again almost guaranteeing that the vast majority goes to the big clubs.

In short the "big clubs" have got exactly what they wanted a European Super League in all but name dominated by an elite few who will suck up nearly all the cash generated, and they achieved that by creating the "ESL" which now appears to have been little more than a paper exercise.

Have we been scammed? looking at that one could easily believe that we have ......

Last edited:
We still need a protest, even that we're out of the Super League. We need to protest against Levy and ENIC. What they had shown, is that they don't think nothing of our fans. This is the right time, to create the momentum to at least insert fan control into the club, if not out right forcing them to sell the whole club back to the fan

Last edited:
If you were to be ultra cynical you could see this as a huge 'scam' perpetrated by the big clubs in order to force UEFA to give them everything they wanted ...

Let's face it the whole debacle is weird, there has been zero attempt by the mysterious ESL to promote their idea, to tell us it's benefits, to sell it to us in anyway. No owners, chairmen, players have come out with statements in support, no documents or financial projections have been released, in fact apart from telling us "their are 12 teams already involved" what have we been told that isn't just media created gossip and pure speculation?

Now just a few days later with no financial cost, sure they got dogs abuse but they get that anyway, not only have they got UEFA to release the planned 2024 European Football structure, it would appear that structure falls in line with what UEFA just a few weeks ago had refused to concede, namely the big clubs are pretty much guaranteed entry just as they are now, the big clubs will be seeded on long term co-efficient effectively guaranteeing the same seeds every year, the big clubs will get to play home and away in a league format, again almost ensuring that the odd 'giant-killing' will not stop the same top sixteen making up the vast majority of every seasons final sixteen, and crucially that the money generated will be shared based on performance again almost guaranteeing that the vast majority goes to the big clubs.

In short the "big clubs" have got exactly what they wanted a European Super League in all but name dominated by an elite few who will suck up nearly all the cash generated, and they achieved that by creating the "ESL" what now appears to be little more than a paper exercise.

Have we been scammed? looking at that one could easily believe that we have ......
Well, Perez gave an interview that basically destroyed it. So, were they were all just tits for making him the face of it...or shrewdly made him the face of it knowing he'd fuck the whole thing up?

I fucking love America.

A lot of UK and EU citizens, especially on this forum, run America down, but that's only because they're jealous - they desperately tell themselves that their lives in rabbit hutches aren't so bad, but they'd move to America in a heartbeat if they had the skills and wherewithal to do so.
I wouldn’t do any such thing- it’s a project gone wrong. A shit hole of a country home to some of the poorest people on the planet despite its vast wealth. A collection of states built quite deliberately on racial division unlike the social class division elsewhere. Give me Canada, the Caribbean or indeed South America but the USA can stay on the silver screen where it belongs!

Back
Top Bottom