Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
We have reached the R16 of the Europa League, with a maximum of 4 more ties, and thus 7 matches, potentially left to play.

There are some tough teams left such as Manchester United, Leicester, AC Milan etc.

Given it's very unlikely we will finish top 4, I think it would make sense to prioritise trying to win Europa when we are still in the competition.

This would entail, in my opinion, resting Kane, Son, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon for Vinicius, Alli, Lamela, Winks, Davies.

I have highlighted in red the games we should rest players in.

7th March: Crystal Palace
11th March: EL R16 1st leg
14th March: Woolwich
18th March: EL R16 2nd leg
21st March: Aston Villa
------------------------------------

3rd April: Newcastle
8th April: EL QF 1st leg
11th April: Manchester United
15th April: EL QF 2nd leg
18th April: Everton
21st April: Southampton (TBC, likely if MC beat Everton in FA Cup QF)
25th April: EFL Final vs Man City
29th April: EL SF 1st leg
1st May: Sheffield
6th May: EL SF 2nd leg
9th May: Wolves
------------------------------------

23rd May: Leicester
26th May: EL Final
-----------------------------------

Last edited:
Have you watched any of Utd, Leicester and Milan? what's your point?

On the day we can be as good or better than anyone ... or do you not think so?

Two of them are 13 points clear of us in the domestic league. And I've watched enough of Milan this season to know they'd cause us alot of problems.

Fuck the PL
Let’s win something
If we can't beat West ham and Brighton why would we be able to beat the best teams in this competition

If we do what you say and then get knocked out .

It'll be pretty embarrasing to finish mid-table and below Woolwich/West Ham etc..

We're so far from where we should be that we need to make that points total better to avoid embarrasment.

If the outcome of going all out and not winning the Europa League is Mourinho losing his job, then sure.

Id rather we just tried to win every game.

This is stupid thread people talking as if we are nailed to win the EL if we give up on the PL. what happens if we get knocked round? Think we have 3 PL before 1st leg of EL so we can still go sting in the PL. it’s not as if we keep the sane in the PL eeek in week out. The front 4 can easily be mixed and matched. The defence is just pot luck. Only CM is where have few options but depending on the draw we could get away with wink sissoko in the 1st leg. Look at Leicester and manure they are both fighting for top 4, still in the FA cup and in EL. Are they going to prioritise ? I think the prioritising of the EL suits the jose fan bois as they can say we concentrated on that that’s why we have ended up 15th. We are not some small time club. We have a big squad easily capable of handling the two competitions. Remember 2019’we still got top 4 and CL final and that was without Kane plus son got suspended for last few PL games. Next 3 games he has to find the best 11 and stick with them only changing for injury or if a player has had a stinker and some else deserves a chance. I’d even rest Kane against Burnley as they won’t give much space so may be better to play the zippier players .

You should you're a fan blind optimism is part of our cult - no question we can be utter shite but I still believe there is a good team in there, and no question Mourinho's negativity makes me want to smash him, but I still believe he's a winner - I'd rather be optimistic than wallow in the never ending doom and gloom that the trolls and fake accounts on here revel in ...

To dare is to do .... so let's get it done.
I have no interest in being in a cult but fair enough I admire your optimism , it just isnt something I share I'm afraid

Regarding the original question, should we sacrifice the PL for the EL.

My answer would be, do we even have a choice at this point?

Its slim odds on us going on a 10 game winning run which is probably what we would need to squeak back into the top 4.

But the whole issue is not necessarily finishing Top 4.
It is about Top 6 or even 7, it is about at least securing a spot in Europe for next season if we fail in cups.

That is a minimum, which is why eggs should not be put in one basket when we will be big outsiders in Carabao and I wouldn't fancy us to beat half of the teams left in Europa draw based on how we have been playing for last couple of months.

We play 1st leg at home.

This is the team that I wanna see for that first leg:

Son Vinicius Bale
Alli Hojbjerg Lo Celso
Reguilon Ald Rodon Aurier
Lloris

2nd leg should be as strong as it needs to be based on 1st leg result.

I would rather not, as if we played that team we would not be playing the second leg due to having been kicked out of competition

We're second favourites according to SkyBet.

Betting odds don't reflect the likelihood of something happen they reflect the best way for the odds maker to make money.

Any odds that have us ahead of either United or Leicester make zero sense. I would say AC probably should be ahead of us as well.

Then you have Roma, Lille, Napoli, Ajax, Leverkusen who all could easily beat us as well.

Back
Top Bottom