Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
The real question is, what do we stand a better chance at..

Getting top 4 or winning the Europa?
Top 4 is an impossible task, the first team are atrocious
I hope Jose rewards the EL team in the latter rounds, but fear he’ll rotate heavily and then it’s over

We need to continue to play with smiles, and freedom

I think the next 3/4 games in the EPL will make the decision for us. If we can’t string together a couple of wins right away (and the next 3 historically should be very winnable) then we could find ourselves 10+ points off top 4 with 10 teams vying for 3 top 4 places. After the Woolwich game, there will only be 30 points to play for and it could be bordering on impossible to make top 4. We could be all in on Europa whether we want to or not

I explained what I meant in OP, and in another comment.

Of course we should try to win every game, but I was hoping we could rotate as such for 5 games I highlighted in OP:
We’ve got enough talent in the squad to finish top 20 in the leagues & the final 16 in the Europa Cup.
Nah , just play to win . Saying rotating is difficult as some of the players who have played the most games have been poor so what is rotation ? Replace Scarlett for Berjwin ? Rondon for Dier ?

I’d say yeh I mean the Prem is over we are almost certainly going to be mid table. Might as well go all in on the EL.

We pretty much have enough players to fight in both. Also the chances of getting a place in UCL from the PL are much more easy than through the Europa League.

Still got to go for a European spot in the league. There are still some decent sides we may have to face to win the Europa, don’t let us having what likely was the easiest draw fool you.

In Europa, there’s the two English teams, Man United and Leciester, I wouldn't be too confident drawing with them.

Milan have been in great form for most of the season, currently 2nd in Série A. I haven’t seen much of Roma this season but I’m certain no Italian team will be easy.

Villarreal have Unai Emery who has won the competition 3-4 times already.

Then there’s Woolwich (if they get past Benfica) who are unpredictable, plus it’s a derby so anything can happen.

We're second favourites according to SkyBet.

Betting odds don't reflect the likelihood of something happen they reflect the best way for the odds maker to make money.

Any odds that have us ahead of either United or Leicester make zero sense. I would say AC probably should be ahead of us as well.

Then you have Roma, Lille, Napoli, Ajax, Leverkusen who all could easily beat us as well.

If we concede 6th and we don't win the EL then we would be screwed money wise wouldn't we? Seems a big risk to me. Especially if Jose gets the sack and we are trying to get a new manager and new players without any European football.

I honestly think if Bale stays fit and Kane and Son can find some of the early season form
Then we are winning the EL!

The draw is more important that anything, as we saw with the other Cups we were in this year.

If we get any two of Milan, Leicester, United, Napoli, Roma, Villareal, Lille we will be in real trouble, if the worse happens and we get 3 of them we are screwed.

However, if we can get can get the winner of Krasnodor-Zagreb and then hope two other weak teams get matched in the next round and get that winner in the QF's and then hope that someone like Woolwich or Rangers fluke their way to the SF and we get them, then all we have is a one off against a tough team. That is the path for victory for us, it worked in the League Cup we need to hope we can pull it off again here, because having to win this Cup by beating good teams is very unlikely to happen.

The draw is more important that anything, as we saw with the other Cups we were in this year.

If we get any two of Milan, Leicester, United, Napoli, Roma, Villareal, Lille we will be in real trouble, if the worse happens and we get 3 of them we are screwed.

However, if we can get can get the winner of Krasnodor-Zagreb and then hope two other weak teams get matched in the next round and get that winner in the QF's and then hope that someone like Woolwich or Rangers fluke their way to the SF and we get them, then all we have is a one off against a tough team. That is the path for victory for us, it worked in the League Cup we need to hope we can pull it off again here, because having to win this Cup by beating good teams is very unlikely to happen.
I am more than happy for the easiest draw all the way to the final !

This is stupid thread people talking as if we are nailed to win the EL if we give up on the PL. what happens if we get knocked round? Think we have 3 PL before 1st leg of EL so we can still go sting in the PL. it’s not as if we keep the sane in the PL eeek in week out. The front 4 can easily be mixed and matched. The defence is just pot luck. Only CM is where have few options but depending on the draw we could get away with wink sissoko in the 1st leg. Look at Leicester and manure they are both fighting for top 4, still in the FA cup and in EL. Are they going to prioritise ? I think the prioritising of the EL suits the jose fan bois as they can say we concentrated on that that’s why we have ended up 15th. We are not some small time club. We have a big squad easily capable of handling the two competitions. Remember 2019’we still got top 4 and CL final and that was without Kane plus son got suspended for last few PL games. Next 3 games he has to find the best 11 and stick with them only changing for injury or if a player has had a stinker and some else deserves a chance. I’d even rest Kane against Burnley as they won’t give much space so may be better to play the zippier players .

Back
Top Bottom