Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we sacrifice the PL for Europa League?

• Yes

Votes: 37 55.2%
  • No

Votes: 30 44.8%

• Total voters
We have reached the R16 of the Europa League, with a maximum of 4 more ties, and thus 7 matches, potentially left to play.

There are some tough teams left such as Manchester United, Leicester, AC Milan etc.

Given it's very unlikely we will finish top 4, I think it would make sense to prioritise trying to win Europa when we are still in the competition.

This would entail, in my opinion, resting Kane, Son, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Reguilon for Vinicius, Alli, Lamela, Winks, Davies.

I have highlighted in red the games we should rest players in.

7th March: Crystal Palace
11th March: EL R16 1st leg
14th March: Woolwich
18th March: EL R16 2nd leg
21st March: Aston Villa
------------------------------------

3rd April: Newcastle
8th April: EL QF 1st leg
11th April: Manchester United
15th April: EL QF 2nd leg
18th April: Everton
21st April: Southampton (TBC, likely if MC beat Everton in FA Cup QF)
25th April: EFL Final vs Man City
29th April: EL SF 1st leg
1st May: Sheffield
6th May: EL SF 2nd leg
9th May: Wolves

23rd May: Leicester
26th May: EL Final
-----------------------------------

Last edited:
We have reached the R16 of the Europa League, with a maximum of 4 more ties, and thus 7 matches, potentially left to play.

There are some tough teams left such as Manchester United, Leicester, AC Milan etc.

Given it's very unlikely we will finish top 4, I think it would make sense to prioritise trying to win Europa when we are still in the competition. This would entail, in my opinion, resting Son, Kane, Ndombele, Reguilon, Hojbjerg for certain PL games.

I have picked out some key fixtures in a potential run-in if we reach EL final:

7th March: Crystal Palace
11th March: EL R16 1st leg
14th March: Woolwich
18th March: EL R16 2nd leg
21st March: Aston Villa

3rd April: Newcastle
8th April: EL QF 1st leg
11th April: Manchester United
15th April: EL QF 2nd leg
18th April: Everton
21st April: Southampton (TBC, likely if MC beat Everton in FA Cup QF)
25th April: EFL Final vs Man City
29th April: EL SF 1st leg
1st May: Sheffield
6th May: EL SF 2nd leg
9th May: Wolves

23rd May: Leicester
26th May: EL Final
-----------------------------------

In my opinion, in the unlikely event we progress to the final, I would consider resting key players vs:
Crystal Palace, Newcastle, Southampton, Sheffield, Leicester
How da fuck is the final 3 days after the end of the season?

No.

You shouldn't put all your eggs into the EL basket as if we get knocked out we need something to fall back on.

Also today that squad was basically a completly different 11 to the one that we see in the Premier league - the best XI . With Aurier and Lo Celso to add to that to. We've actually got very squad depth and I believe we can rotate some positions in the Europa league / Premier league but still have a very strong team.

Fuck the PL
Let’s win something
If we can't beat West ham and Brighton why would we be able to beat the best teams in this competition

If we do what you say and then get knocked out .

It'll be pretty embarrasing to finish mid-table and below Woolwich/West Ham etc..

We're so far from where we should be that we need to make that points total better to avoid embarrasment.

If we can't beat West ham and Brighton why would we be able to beat the best teams in this competition

If we do what you say and then get knocked out .

It'll be pretty embarrasing to finish mid-table and below Woolwich/West Ham etc..

We're so far from where we should be that we need to make that points total better to avoid embarrasment.
Didn’t you ask me this three days ago?

Ok here goes.
Maybe.....maybe the players can be more motivated for silverware than 3pts and a fight for top half.

Plus, we have decent cup team.
The risk is the further we get, the “better” players get picked and fuck everything up

Didn’t you ask me this three days ago?

Ok here goes.
Maybe.....maybe the players can be more motivated for silverware than 3pts and a fight for top half.

Plus, we have decent cup team.
The risk is the further we get, the “better” players get picked and fuck everything up
I just think we can stay competitive in both competitions

I think have your core players start most games but then rotate around them

If the outcome of going all out and not winning the Europa League is Mourinho losing his job, then sure.

Id rather we just tried to win every game.

I just think we can stay competitive in both competitions

I think have your core players start most games but then rotate around them
I don’t think the “first team” is good enough personally and am sick of the sight of them.

Might just stick to the cups for my laughs and just resign myself for another borefest walkathon v Burnley

Back
Top Bottom