Should we start a complete overhaul of the squad and rebuild next season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we start a complete overhaul of the squad and rebuild next season?

• Yes, sell Kane/Son and let Conte walk

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • No, keep Conte and back the manager

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • Other, response below

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Levy out, everything else secondary

Votes: 13 11.8%

• Total voters
ENIC appear unable to spend enough to keep us on par with our opponents, and so far, appear incapable of putting together a prolific enough academy to develop enough talent to offset our lack of spending.

Levy for his reasons (Kane?) decided to go for Conte rather than Potter or Ten Haag, who were the two most obvious positive-football coaching candidates that we could have gone for. I think what we need most right now is a coach like that.

Instead, we have Conte, who is good, but needs a certain style of play and player to make his system work, which requires a lot of spending, which we don't have. Conte can be both a great coach and not a good fit for Spurs.

If we aren't winning now, we seriously need to be looking at rebuilding, which is going to be forced on us anyways since Kane almost certain (imo) will not renew his contract.

I don't think Levy has the guts to do this though- he's too afraid of being the guy that pulled the plug on Harry Kane as a Spur- maybe because he doesn't really have a credible vision of what the club could be otherwise- which is probably because deep down, he's knows hes just a very good businessman that doesn't know shit about football or others sports. Shit- let's be honest- it's clear Levy barely even knows about working out- I'd put money on the average woman anywhere in the world to kick his ass in a fight at any time.

So Levy is bluffing, trying to save face and look important (so he can have ENIC give him a fat bonus each year), with no real idea what to do, hoping simply to take the least painful option each time, run out the clock, and avoid having to take too much responsibility for anything. Meanwhile he can collect bonuses en route to some huge possible payoff way down the line, and maybe, if he's lucky, he can get enough people to believe he did something useful to get a statue or plaque in the Tottenham area.

Levy and ENIC have NO credible plan, other than to try and make money. They don't know football, and they don't really care that much as long as they aren't hated too much, by too many.

The answer to what we need to do is pretty obvious though- get rid of deadwood and old players needing a change of scenery, get a coach playing positive, inspiring football, continue investing in young players with upside, aggressively grow our academy and loan/development efforts, and provide enough funds and time to credibly accomplish these goals. Get Levy away from any football decisions and get a board of international football experts, properly incentivized, to help manage the decision making of the club with regards to coaching decisions, scouting, and academy development.

At the very least I wish we'd move on Dier and Hugo. Dier for sure is just not good enough a player to occupy such a vaunted position in our lineup and team. Hugo is not a dominant enough player at his position that he should have kept Kane from being named captain for at least a couple seasons now. Us knowing who Harry is, I am certain this issue burns him constantly.

In terms of timing, it feels like everything has been totally mishandled by Levy, who appears to have the fatal flaw of thinking his human assets don't have a shelf-life (like his beloved real-estate) Basically we had plenty of opportunity to make better decisions but Levy, lacking any football or sporting sense whatsoever, has no sense of timing and continues to fuck everything up. This team needs a rebuild so bad, but has been doubled down on so much the other way, that any real effort to do so will represent a crushing loss of opportunity-cost in terms of both money and time.

I know I wrote a lot, and I am somewhat sorry I couldn't come to a more clear conclusion. I guess if I had to sum it up, ENIC and Levy suck, we need to get rid of them for someone better, and I don't expect good decisions to be made until they are gone.
Interesting read.

So……..
at the end of the window I said that we had a bad window. I compared it to the Bale season when everyone was saying we “won the window” and said that within 10 games of this season, we will be saying it wasn’t that good after all.
I was chastised. I was told to go and support another team.
On the basis of the general analysis of the club on here and in the media, I feel like I’m owed some apologies.
We didn’t strengthen the first team - all the top 6 teams did apart from maybe Liverpool.
More penny pinching as always. RWB is the most obvious position. I’d like to see Spence given a run but as Conte said he was a club signing not his signing so as such we are left short in one of his most important positions.
We still have Sanchez, Dier and Davies getting game time. I expected two proper CBs (I suspect Conte did too) but we ended up with an off form for 2+ years CB on loan.
We didn’t get a creative midfielder; we didn’t get a right sided winger.
We are in the shit. Serious shit. Just wait until we are in the imminent situation where we need to replace Kane. He’s not renewing imo.
And who do we blame? Who else can we blame, but the clubs owners.
Shit show.
Apologies accepted from those who said we “won the window” to which I said we’d be in this toxic situation around about the 10 game mark.

Change my vote:
Yes. Sell Son and if Harry doesn’t want to extend his contract then him as well. Get rid of Dier and the other cloggers that are ages past their expiration date here.
Start from scratch. Young manager and 2-3 seasons to experiment with bringing young talent.

Change my vote:
Yes. Sell Son and if Harry doesn’t want to extend his contract then him as well. Get rid of Dier and the other cloggers that are ages past their expiration date here.
Start from scratch. Young manager and 2-3 seasons to experiment with bringing young talent.
Like Woolwich :levyeyes:

Regardless of which manager we get, the following is needed by Paratici (I hope he stays).

GK - 50m +
X2 CB - 120m +
RWB - 50m
LWB - 50m
LFW - 70m +

If/when Kane walks another 100m on a striker.

That’s between 350-400m ish to get this squad able to compete like it did under Poch.
If you get a different manager maybe they can try to achieve for 100m less than that.

On the club s current model, we are talking 2 years minimum as long as they don’t miss on anymore transfers like Tanguy and Lo Celso.
Seems it’s time to get comfortable with average for a while if Levy and ENIC continue with their budget model.

Yes we need a complete squad overhaul and have done for at least 2 years. That means as well as shifting the obvious junk we will also need to replace Lloris, Son and Kane. The first 2 are now obvious and Kane isnt signing a new contract so needs to be sold this summer. Given our track record it could be painful but we cant kick the can down the road any longer.

Conte has even said it himself last night, we need creativity which means he will have to change the system which is a huge fn relief. He knows we need that creative MF at least, which means expect either one less up front and one more in MF or one less DM... (Sorry hoj)

I've seen people saying our MF is our strongest area and it leaves me flabbergasted as based on quality it's got to be our weakest. We consistently leave only 2 DMs to find wonder passes and defend against an opposition MF of 4 or more. The right cog will help us move the ball quicker, free up others, retain possession and look like something other than a sht Sunday under 12s team that we look like just now.

Strange to say with 2 DMs every game but our CBs fail to get proper protection game after game the way play and god knows they need protecting....

Conte has even said it himself last night, we need creativity which means he will have to change the system which is a huge fn relief. He knows we need that creative MF at least, which means expect either one less up front and one more in MF or one less DM... (Sorry hoj)

I've seen people saying our MF is our strongest area and it leaves me flabbergasted as based on quality it's got to be our weakest. We consistently leave only 2 DMs to find wonder passes and defend against an opposition MF of 4 or more. The right cog will help us move the ball quicker, free up others, retain possession and look like something other than a sht Sunday under 12s team that we look like just now.

Strange to say with 2 DMs every game but our CBs fail to get proper protection game after game the way play and god knows they need protecting....
Yeah 2 DMs, and our WBs are shit. Our defense and goalkeeper are full of mistakes, and our forwards aren't in good form, even Kane is well below par and fading.

The highlight of the villa match was Doherty doing a nutmeg.

It's ridiculous players like Moura or Sanchez are still with us. Equivalent of if Woolwich never moved on from Mkhitaryan and Mustafi.
We need a good clear out of obviously failed footballers of that sort. Needless to say we find a few in our back line.
Plus Lloris, bless him, needs to go.
Youngish quality players Romero, Bentancur, Kulusevsky, Bissouma, Richarlison are something to build on. We're perfectly able to add one or two of this sort a year.
It makes me sick in my stomach seeing we still don't have a big boring, maybe old striker on the bench. Just fucking get one. Giroud type. We need to be able to have that option.
Same for creative midfielder. Scandalous to not have a single one in the whole squad.
Again, need that option to switch things up if needed.
I actually think we need more of Hojbjergs of this league, just like Newcastle did and it works for them.
As much as some see them as cloggers it wouldn't hurt us to get one or two of proven league players for each position with at least few seasons under their belt, maybe in lower mid table teams but proven fighters.
You can buy the youngsters and dream they will turn out to be stars but we can't just gamble our way up. We should of course still invest in the youth but actually play one or the other every game, give them chances.
But do that in controlled environment next to a seasoned footballers not throw them on only because of injuries and shatter their confidence twice- first time by not giving them a chance, second by demanding them to carry us.
It's been a fucking disgraceful way of operating for too long.

Back
Top Bottom