Should we start a complete overhaul of the squad and rebuild next season?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should we start a complete overhaul of the squad and rebuild next season?

• Yes, sell Kane/Son and let Conte walk

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • No, keep Conte and back the manager

Votes: 71 64.5%
  • Other, response below

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • Levy out, everything else secondary

Votes: 13 11.8%

• Total voters
Little chance of a major overhaul no way will we just ship out players on contracts there will be little interest in them and no chance the contracts will be paid up . We are not attractive to any proven players plenty of clubs ahead of us in various ways . Looks like a few more years of where we are currently .

Was it 2018/19 when Poch said we needed the painful rebuild? 4 years later we've just replaced the likes of Aurier and Sissoko with even worse players and left the likes of Winks, Davies, Sanchez etc loitering around doing nothing much.

So yeh we need a rebuild but we need to learn how to identify and sign better footballers first. Or we're just going to spin our wheels and remain as we are.

And there’s the prospect of Ndombelly coming back in the Summer

We need scouts with a proper network. Who will look at where football is developing nicely and recruit real bargains. Places like Korea, Japan, India and Ghana have some solid quality that given the right coaching and exposure can develop into world class talent.

We need to be realistic. We cannot buy existing stars with our resources. Therefore we need to develop and nurture them. This is a 5 year plan minimum.

I voted other because I believe we should sell Son and back Conte.

I rate Son highly, so this isn't a sell Son because he's shite post. The main reasoning behind this is because I think Son would still command a massive fee at this point in his career and we all know realistically we need the funds in so that we can spend what Conte will demand. Son's greatest attribute is his pace and that will go sooner rather than later so let's do what Liverpool did with Coutinho and get a big fee for a player that doesn't necessarily pull the strings of the team (ie Kane).

Levy has to decide if he will back the career of Kane, not just Conte. At this point they are close to the same thing- Conte ain't gonna stick around for a 3 year tour of the Europa Conference League. 80-100m of spend this summer could fix most of the biggest issues I think, and to be frank, I think it's worth it, even if the club has to take on more debt. Can't they just sell a bunch of junk bonds like MSTR and get on with it? I'm ready to buy an official Kulusevski jersey from the club shop, but only if Levy properly backs this team come the summer.

Just gonna put this out there since we're talking about rebuilds- for some weird reason I feel like Dier is on a redemption arc right now and I see him being a good captain for us in the post Kane/Lloris era to come. Probably because it feels like hes racked up so much shit luck hes due to come good at some point. I can see him playing for many more years still and being an excellent CB at 34/35 like Terry et al. I've been surprised to see him called to be replaced by many on here despite having many more obvious problems elsewhere in the squad...

I voted other because I believe we should sell Son and back Conte.

I rate Son highly, so this isn't a sell Son because he's shite post. The main reasoning behind this is because I think Son would still command a massive fee at this point in his career and we all know realistically we need the funds in so that we can spend what Conte will demand. Son's greatest attribute is his pace and that will go sooner rather than later so let's do what Liverpool did with Coutinho and get a big fee for a player that doesn't necessarily pull the strings of the team (ie Kane).
Kane doesn't pull the strings either - see our record without him in the Kane thread. Since 2016, our points per game is actually better without Kane starting in league games. And this doesn't even include our run in the Champions League as well as some results in cup games.

I'm all for selling Son but at this point in time, Son is probably the single most important player (maybe outside of Skipp) on our team because he's literally a one man counter attacking threat that changes the way teams play us. We literally have 2 wins out of 8 games without him this season. And when he's not playing well or off it, we usually lose. You can't say the same about Kane - most recently, we were right in the mix for top 4 when Kane was playing like shit up until mid/late December with just 2 league goals.

If we're going to sell Son, then we should just sell both of them. We could still get maybe a combined 150 million. Then let Conte walk and bring in a younger, longer term manager that is ok with a rebuild project a la Poch

Last edited:
Kane doesn't pull the strings either - see our record without him in the Kane thread. Since 2016, our points per game is actually better without Kane starting in league games. And this doesn't even include our run in the Champions League as well as some results in cup games.

I'm all for selling Son but at this point in time, Son is probably the single most important player (maybe outside of Skipp) on our team because he's literally a one man counter attacking threat that changes the way teams play us. We literally have 2 wins out of 8 games without him this season. And when he's not playing well or off it, we usually lose. You can't say the same about Kane - most recently, we were right in the mix for top 4 when Kane was playing like shit up until mid/late December with just 2 league goals.

If we're going to sell Son, then we should just sell both of them. We could still get maybe a combined 150 million. Then let Conte walk and bring in a younger, longer term manager that is ok with a rebuild project a la Poch
I saw the stats and I think it’s dishonest to use a 37 game sample size compared to a 200+ game one. Some criticisms you have made of Kane are valid but I won’t agree that he’s not the one who pulls the strings since 2020. He’s an elite center forward with elite playmaking skills when he’s on.

If Conte would stay even if we sold both and he was assured the money raised would be reinvested straight into the recruitment of new players, I would probably choose that. But if if’s were fifths we’d all be drunk.

We should just quit with the pretence that we are a football club

Sell all of the players and invest the money in real estate

Should be able to buy at least one studio flat with the proceeds
I want us to drop the F.C & replace it with LTD for transparency reasons.

Even if we decided to invest in an overhaul, I don’t have confidence in our scouting set-up (if we even have one) and that we’d spend the money well.

If Conte goes (and I’d prefer that he stay as I’m tired of the revolving door and the issues with this club go beyond the manager), it’ll end up with another manager trying to make sense of a squad that’s bloated yet with gaping holes in quality for various positions.

Romero, Royal, Sess, Peresic, Holjberg, Lenglet, Bentencaur, Bissouma, Richarlison, Kulusevski

This IS the rebuild. And we kept our "BEST" players - Kane, Son, Lloris.

Problem is, our "best" players have all shit the bed this season - and questions need to be asked of those players and the coaching staff. Son looks like he genuinely is working hard; but Kane looks like a man who thinks he is bigger than the club and looks like a show pony trotting around and falling over. Lloris is clearly ageing and on the decline; a great shot stopping but has lost concentration and composure.

These are good points.

Who do we sell & how much do we get? Even if the club slapped on another £100m, what’s the budget? Think we’re a bit snookered with the current model.

These are good points.

Who do we sell & how much do we get? Even if the club slapped on another £100m, what’s the budget? Think we’re a bit snookered with the current model.

Snookered is a good word here.

We cannot sign players that are better than prime Kane, Son and Lloris. BUT, Kane, Son, Lloris are not playing at peak.

Snookered is a good word here.

We cannot sign players that are better than prime Kane, Son and Lloris. BUT, Kane, Son, Lloris are not playing at peak.
Definitely not unless we go peak Man City, but that’s never been our way & even with new owners there’s FFP.

Our run of games at home after the WC is no joke if we don’t find form too.

Definitely not unless we go peak Man City, but that’s never been our way & even with new owners there’s FFP.

Our run of games at home after the WC is no joke if we don’t find form too.

Problem is, how many strikers out there could get 20+ goals a season in the EPL?

We simply are unable to replace Kane and Son; and our form is entirely reliant on them. The priority MUST be to get them service, but where can we buy a KDB?

Back
Top Bottom