Signing lower league players

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I know we are keen on players such as Hazard, Remy and Vertonghen but does anyone consider players in the lower divisions who might have possible value?

I only say this as I have seen on a handful of occasions Jordan Rhodes play this season, at 21 he looks as though he has a lot about him. I appreciate we have Kane and Couilibally in our ranks but as a relatively inexpensive player who is banging them in he could be worth a gamble for the future.

He might just be very good at that level but there is no reason he couldn't be loaned out to another Premier League club for a season to acclimatise.

I don't mind signing lower league players but not sure I'd want us to get one up front, a full-back, a winger I wouldn't mind to supplement the squad and hopefully develop. As a striker it's a bit more of a gamble I feel.

"relatively inexpensive" - I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Rhodes was valued around £5m+

He's a good player but I think we're above signing lower league players now, we need people who are proven class to push us on. A few years ago it turned out great getting Dawson, but then you look at the failures such as Andy Reid and have to wonder whether it's worth the gamble!

Rasiak? Zamora?

Zamora has done ok, though maybe not quite the player he was in lower league football.

I say sign whoever can get the job done

I'd be delighted to see us giving someone like Rhodes a chance. Ricky Lambert is another.

I'd also be keen for us to build a stronger squad by looking at the likes of Steven Fletcher, Danny Graham, Scott Sinclair, Anthony from smaller premier teams.

Beats spunking multi millions on Bentley, Rebrov, etc.

Sibs said:
Rasiak? Zamora?

Zamora has done ok, though maybe not quite the player he was in lower league football.

I say sign whoever can get the job done

I agree that we should be signing players who can do the job but I don't see the harm in picking up a player who has potential. That was until I read he was valued at £5m + which is daft.

Is this an example of the reach that Premier League clubs have now, that players can't reach an age where they've not been scouted and still make the grade? I hope not, I'm only 33 with two ACL reconstructions and I'm not giving up!

Kyle Walker worked well, after we loaned him our for a few seasons.

I remember when we signed Kaboul, he had potential and wasn't ready for our first team. After playing for Portsmouth his game improved and he came back a much better player. Can we afford to spend £8m on a player who won't be ready for a few years, especially if as Windy said in his blog, we've got a squad overhaul coming

Back
Top Bottom