Sir Bill Nicholson

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thelonious

The Fighting Cock
Thelonious World Peace
bill_gates.jpeg

Bill_Nicholson4.jpg

bill_nicholson_double_trophies420.jpg

tottenhamnicholson1953lqo6.jpg

article-1157188-03B0C3DE000005DC-463_468x312.jpg

article-0-0042388F00000258-659_468x368.jpg

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."

"There's no use being satisfied when things are done wrongly. I want perfection."

"It's magnificent to be in Europe, and this club - a club like Tottenham Hotspur - if we're not in Europe.... we're nothing. we're nothing."

"It's no use just winning, we've got to win well."

"It's been my life, Tottenham Hotspur,and I love the club."

"...intelligence doesn't make you a good footballer. Oxford and Cambridge would have the best sides if that were true. It's a football brain that matters and that doesn't usually go with an academic brain. In fact I prefer it when it doesn't. I prefer players not to be too good or clever at other things. It means they concentrate on football."

"We must always consider our supporters, for without them there would be no professional football. It would be better to have more fans watching football the way they like it played, rather than have a few fans watching football the waywe would like it played."

"The public can't be kidded. They know what they want to see, what is good and what is bad and what is just average. At least I believe they do."

"If you don't have to drag yourself off the field exhausted after 90 minutes, you can't claim to have done your best."

"Any player coming to Spurs whether he's a big signing or just a ground staff boy must be dedicated to the game and to the club. He must be prepared to work at his game. He must never be satisfied with his last performance, and he must hate losing."

"Naturally I'm a Tottenham man. So far as football is concerned, it means almost everything, doesn't it really? Because I can reflect back to being a player with, and manager of some of the finest players that have ever been in the game."

"When it is played at its best football remains the greatest game of all. And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club."

"I always said that it was an honour to serve Tottenham Hotspur and I feel the same every time I walk back into the stadium."

"Spurs have got to be the best in the land, not the second best."

"If you don't win anything, you have had a bad season."

:bow:

"...intelligence doesn't make you a good footballer. Oxford and Cambridge would have the best sides if that were true. It's a football brain that matters and that doesn't usually go with an academic brain. In fact I prefer it when it doesn't. I prefer players not to be too good or clever at other things. It means they concentrate on football."

talking about my granddad

"When it is played at its best football remains the greatest game of all. And Tottenham, so close to my heart, is still to me the greatest club."

This is the quote above all others...sums up what Tottenham Hotspur means to me, too.

If AVB can achieve a fraction of Bill's success we have a future legend in our dug out but no one will surpass Bill regardless of achievement.

I must confess that untill a few years back (reading DML) i had no idea who he was. After doing some internet research he became a hero for me. Impressive personality and views on the game.

Audere est facere all the way

...intelligence doesn't make you a good footballer. Oxford and Cambridge would have the best sides if that were true. It's a football brain that matters and that doesn't usually go with an academic brain. In fact I prefer it when it doesn't. I prefer players not to be too good or clever at other things. It means they concentrate on football.
Fuckin love that one.

Hero, legend. Words that don't quite capture just what he was and still is. I have a canvas of him on my wall. I remember when I was younger I walked past him in the big long coat he used to wear to games and tugging on my mums arm 'Isn't that Bill Nicholson?'. Wasn't old enough to appreciate who he was and what he'd done for the club unfortunately but it's a memory I won't forget

Have voted for Sir Bill Nic too....
But we all know it's gonna be Fergie or Shankley... especially with the number of Liverpool/Man Utd fans voting!

Back
Top Bottom