Sir Bobby Charlton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The balls they used 50 odd years ago are very different from now.
nothing beat the joys of sticking your nut on an old, scuffed leather casey, with laces, on a wet winters day.

it was like being beaten with a punchbag full of bricks wielded by Arnold Swartzenegger

thankfully being a shortarse meant that most of my headers were unnecessary as proper sized humans could control them with their chests.

You know when they bandy about the words "Football Great, Legend, Genius" these days about anyone who's had one half decent season.... well they only wanna take a look at someone like Bobby Charlton and use HIM as the benchmark....

Even players like George Best, Gazza & Maradona, whilst widely considered footballing geniuses, had plenty about their personalities to tarnish their image...

Bobby Charlton had EVERYTHING!

I'd say only Messi comes remotely close in modern day football comparisons.

You know when they bandy about the words "Football Great, Legend, Genius" these days about anyone who's had one half decent season.... well they only wanna take a look at someone like Bobby Charlton and use HIM as the benchmark....

Even players like George Best, Gazza & Maradona, whilst widely considered footballing geniuses, had plenty about their personalities to tarnish their image...

Bobby Charlton had EVERYTHING!

I'd say only Messi comes remotely close in modern day football comparisons.
Not to take anything away from Bobby Charlton but to me Johan Cruijff stands out among football geniuses - both as a player, head-coach and DoF.

Not to take anything away from Bobby Charlton but to me Johan Cruijff stands out among football geniuses - both as a player, head-coach and DoF.
I was gonna mention Cruyff in the same breath, but then I remembered some murky stuff he was embroiled with a while ago...

I wasn't thinking of this specifically, but you don't have to search much to find out there was another side to the 'genius';
...neither example exactly put him in a great light!

I always thought Cruyff was quite arrogant (maybe rightly so, given his ability) but the point being, you look at Bobby Charlton, an insanely gifted footballer, but also a humble and decent man off the pitch....

It's like comparing Pele & Maradona, or Ronaldo & Messi.... people will always have their preference, based on pure FOOTBALLING ability, or trophies won... which is fair enough reason to base a footballer on...

But both pairs have VERY different personalities to eachother, and I think that counts for a lot!

Back
Top Bottom