Sir Bobby Charlton

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My Mum was diagnosed with it last year and the way she has deteriorated since then is tragic.
All the best to Bobby and his family, always comes across as a really nice old guy.
Really sorry to hear that, mate. I wish you all the very best

Last edited:
Been reading about Gerd Muller. His wife says he spends all day in bed because of dementia. That bastard who runs the PFA and pays himself millions should be ashamed of himself. Spend some of the millions the PFA has and help the players as well as spending on research into dementia in ex footballers.

Very sad at the news but cannot believe they are saying that it was partially caused by heading.
Bobby Charlton was a majestic midfielder but cannot remember him heading the ball much. He used to let his feet do the talking. He is a player who would still get in the United team now. One of the genius footballers that won us the world cup.

Been reading about Gerd Muller. His wife says he spends all day in bed because of dementia. That bastard who runs the PFA and pays himself millions should be ashamed of himself. Spend some of the millions the PFA has and help the players as well as spending on research into dementia in ex footballers.
Sad, hope he gets better. He never seems to get mentioned in great player debates but his record is phenomenal. 67 goals in 62 games for Germany. For Bayern 398 goals in 453 games.

Even more amazing as apparently he didn't always play as an out and out striker.

Thank you Mrs P.
It is very tough going, especially just now as she is in a care home and visiting has been obviously very restricted since Covid which hasn’t helped at all.

Best wishes to you & your mum.

My old man got dementia and it really is a tragic sight.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Sad, hope he gets better.
Unfortunately not with that condition my friend. My Father in Law succumbed to dementia two years ago and it was truly pitiful to watch him gradually deteriorate. I felt more for my wife and Mother in Law as he failed to recognise them and thought they were members of staff at the home he was in, which upset them greatly.
He would spend hours and hours simply staring out of his room window and telling everyone he was expecting a parcel delivery. The nurses and carers were quite simply magnificent and always treated him with the utmost respect and compassion.
It's a truly horrible illness and no way to die.

The balls they used 50 odd years ago are very different from now.
Much heavier and got heavier still on a wet pitch and when you tried to head it and were unfortunate enough to catch the lace it fucking hurt!

Very sad at the news but cannot believe they are saying that it was partially caused by heading.
Bobby Charlton was a majestic midfielder but cannot remember him heading the ball much. He used to let his feet do the talking. He is a player who would still get in the United team now. One of the genius footballers that won us the world cup.
He scored a good headed goal in the European Cup final against Benfica but I take your point

Was jumping around my parents lounge when this one went in!

:tobyarm:
What a shot, love the way he moves with the ball, head up always.

I remember a quote i read about some England game where we had an indirect free kick and he wanted to take a shot. He was asked him which foot he wanted the ball on left or right and he replied 'i don't care'.

Not many players that confident on either foot at the highest level.

Unfortunately not with that condition my friend. My Father in Law succumbed to dementia two years ago and it was truly pitiful to watch him gradually deteriorate. I felt more for my wife and Mother in Law as he failed to recognise them and thought they were members of staff at the home he was in, which upset them greatly.
He would spend hours and hours simply staring out of his room window and telling everyone he was expecting a parcel delivery. The nurses and carers were quite simply magnificent and always treated him with the utmost respect and compassion.
It's a truly horrible illness and no way to die.
Jeez, that's rough mate, sorry to hear about that. My old man was getting a bit squirly before he passed but was never diagnosed with anything like dementia so i can only imagine how hard that is for close family to see a loved one deteriorate like that.

Think I found it for you on YouTube, 1.07 into this clip, enjoy :thumbup:. First time I have ever seen Bobby Charlton head the ball although it does appear to sort of skim off his head ;)

Keeper nowhere

I thought Jonny Aston was MoM as I recall

I found it difficult watching and to celebrate as I loathed ManU and still do

What a shot, love the way he moves with the ball, head up always.

I remember a quote i read about some England game where we had an indirect free kick and he wanted to take a shot. He was asked him which foot he wanted the ball on left or right and he replied 'i don't care'.

Not many players that confident on either foot at the highest level.
Like Coco you mean?

:mourwhat:

Best wishes to you & your mum.

My old man got dementia and it really is a tragic sight.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Thank you, nice of you to say that.
I actually saw her today, 15 minutes through glass doors once a week at her care home is all that’s available just now, one nominated visitor only.
She still recognises me thankfully but the way she has gone downhill in the last 18 months after the diagnosis and since March particularly is really tough to see.
The fact that this will be happening to families everywhere just now is not a nice thought at all.
Sorry to ramble on a bit but as others have said, sympathies with everyone dealing with this.

The balls they used 50 odd years ago are very different from now.
Not to cause alarm but the players of today might take more punishment in the long run.

1. Starting earlier in life.
2. Elite academies training as much as 5 times a week by the age of nine.
3. Many more crosses and many of those with a lot of pace
4. Ball weighs less but travels faster = about the same force/momentum
5. Lengthier careers

All of these things and many more contribute to a higher amount of repeated light/medium trauma to the head.
This is why the boxers who rarely get knocked out fare the worst in regards to these diseases. Also why more enthusiasts have stopped wearing head gear while sparring. Better to be hit harder but less.

The Americans do everything wrong in "soccer" except this. I fear we might see some terrible results in Europe in 30-40 years.

It must be said the elites are very fit nowadays and the protocols for head injuries are better. But for the majority of semi-pros this isn't quite true.

I hope I'm wrong...

Following the sad news about Nobby Stiles another World Cup hero makes the wrong sort of headlines.
BBC News - Sir Bobby Charlton: England World Cup winner diagnosed with dementia
My old Fella (83) was diagnosed with Dementia back in June of this year. I had noticed a deteriation in his demeaner and he was getting aggy with people because he noticed that he was making strange choices and generally having no energy. Since his diagnosis he has been put on medication (can't remember what it's called) but it has turned his life around, even in such a short space of time. I would say it has taken 10 years off him in the sense that he has got his mojo back and is able to remember most day to day stuff. He has his moments but he is so much better.
I know it's only a plaster, but I'm glad that it's working for him, it doesn't always work for everyone apparently, maybe we caught it early, I don't know.
Keeping busy, getting out, Reading are all things that help keep dementia at bay.
One of the big factors is catching it early.

My old Fella (83) was diagnosed with Dementia back in June of this year. I had noticed a deteriation in his demeaner and he was getting aggy with people because he noticed that he was making strange choices and generally having no energy. Since his diagnosis he has been put on medication (can't remember what it's called) but it has turned his life around, even in such a short space of time. I would say it has taken 10 years off him in the sense that he has got his mojo back and is able to remember most day to day stuff. He has his moments but he is so much better.
I know it's only a plaster, but I'm glad that it's working for him, it doesn't always work for everyone apparently, maybe we caught it early, I don't know.
Keeping busy, getting out, Reading are all things that help keep dementia at bay.
One of the big factors is catching it early.
Wonderful to hear about your Dad, let's hope he has many more years of relatively good health ahead of him.
:mourthumb:

Back
Top Bottom