So Close But So Far: Has the FA Cup Become a Poisoned Chalice for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's a very good read, agree with much of it.

"It may not mean much to the gaffer, but there is no denying the importance of the FA Cup to us fans, and every year it is becoming more and more like an albatross on our backs. 1991 certainly feels like a long, long time ago".

He's in very serious danger of letting this be the first decade we've gone without a major trophy since the 1940's, but at least we've got a new stadium, and 4th place though right?

He's in very serious danger of letting this be the first decade we've gone without a major trophy since the 1940's, but at least we've got a new stadium, and 4th place though right?
No, need a trophy. Top 4 is an achievement not a trophy. So many deluded fans.

Last edited:
Imagine you entered three races along with 19 other 'athletes'.

The first race guaranteed £1.8m and a trophy to the winner, £900k to 2nd place, and £400k to 3rd and 4th.
The second race guarantees £100k and a trophy to the winner, £50k to 2nd place, and £25k to 3rd and 4th.
The third race guarantees £38m and a trophy to the winner, dropping by £2m for each subsequent placing; but with the top 4 'athletes' getting access to an exclusive fourth race, which guarantees a minimum of £11m just for qualifying.

Without even considering the additional effects of TV revenue, which of the three competitions would you prioritise?

No need a trophy. Top 4 is an achievement not a trophy. So many deluded fans.
It's not delusion, the entire purpose of a sport is to win, not to make money. Doing a little better than last year is all well and good, but where is the tangible success?

Imagine you entered three races along with 19 other 'athletes'.

The first race guaranteed £1.8m and a trophy to the winner, £900k to 2nd place, and £400k to 3rd and 4th.
The second race guarantees £100k and a trophy to the winner, £50k to 2nd place, and £25k to 3rd and 4th.
The third race guarantees £38m and a trophy to the winner, dropping by £2m for each subsequent placing; but with the top 4 'athletes' getting access to an exclusive fourth race, which guarantees a minimum of £11m just for qualifying.

Without even considering the additional effects of TV revenue, which of the three competitions would you prioritise?
The question is irrelevant because you're asking me to rate the choices from a financial point of view, which as a fan you shouldn't be doing.

When we do win a cup, people will post on here saying "fuck 4th, this is what it's all about" and they will be 100% correct.

It's not delusion, the entire purpose of a sport is to win, not to make money. Doing a little better than last year is all well and good, but where is the tangible success?

The question is irrelevant because you're asking me to rate the choices from a financial point of view, which as a fan you shouldn't be doing.

When we do win a cup, people will post on here saying "fuck 4th, this is what it's all about" and they will be 100% correct.

Professional football clubs follow the money. They always have and they always will. We might not like it, but there it is.

Yeah, because that's exactly how Woolwich fans have reacted to winning a couple of FA Cups whilst gradually becoming less and less relevant in the league.
You cannot compare our situation to Woolwich. Woolwich have been in top 4 for years and suddenly they are not and therefore the fans are unhappy. We have only recently got into top 4 and have not won a trophy since 2008. A trophy for us is more important to the fans.

Professional football clubs follow the money. They always have and they always will. We might not like it, but there it is.
And i understand the money men's agenda. I'm giving mine, which is to win things. Most of us inherited our club from our family, and at no point was money ever mentioned, it was "i saw us win the cup", and that alone was enough.... and still is for some

And i understand the money men's agenda. I'm giving mine, which is to win things. Most of us inherited our club from our family, and at no point was money ever mentioned, it was "i saw us win the cup", and that alone was enough.... and still is for some
We’d all like to win things. Who wouldn’t?

Back
Top Bottom