Solving the riddle?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How many points off top?

Based on our statistics, isn't that more based on other teams just being a bit shit compared to last season?

I do agree though. I'd have taken 6 points off top after 17 games if you offered me it.

We are 4 points better off than last season - but you don't need me to remind you that last season was so woeful we sacked our best manager in 30 years

A lot but that was down to two teams doing what has never been done before.

We genuinely should be looking for progression, we've seen absolutely fuck all on last year and a regression from previous seasons.
I think the fact nobody is finding it easy this season gives us a bit of a reason to not be as far ahead from last season as we wanted to be. I would say being closer in points to top is more important than being closer in position, but aware this could descend into “is 3rd on 70 points better than 4th on 73 points” territory.

Based on our statistics, isn't that more based on other teams just being a bit shit compared to last season?

I do agree though. I'd have taken 6 points off top after 17 games if you offered me it.

We are 4 points better off than last season - but you don't need me to remind you that last season was so woeful we sacked our best manager in 30 years
I don’t think other teams are shit. I just think everyone is struggling to keep players fit, train properly, etc. Don’t see why we should be any different when we’ve probably played more games than anyone. I’d be loathe to judge anyone negatively this season, as every manager says they are struggling.

I think the fact nobody is finding it easy this season gives us a bit of a reason to not be as far ahead from last season as we wanted to be. I would say being closer in points to top is more important than being closer in position, but aware this could descend into “is 3rd on 70 points better than 4th on 73 points” territory.
Can't agree or disagree with that, it's been a strange season that's for sure and we can only fully assess with the required context as it progresses. Perhaps even at the end of it (assuming that it's not shut down) that maybe that's not even possible to explain away and best forgotten by all apart from the eventual winners.

But no matter how I attempt to make sense of it I'm said to say I hate watching us play, it's simply awful. 14 months down the line, with his players, his strategy, his philosophy you can count the good games under him on one hand. I see zero progress.

Can't agree or disagree with that, it's been a strange season that's for sure and we can only fully assess with the required context as it progresses. Perhaps even at the end of it (assuming that it's not shut down) that maybe that's not even possible to explain away and best forgotten by all apart from the eventual winners.

But no matter how I attempt to make sense of it I'm said to say I hate watching us play, it's simply awful. 14 months down the line, with his players, his strategy, his philosophy you can count the good games under him on one hand. I see zero progress.
We are a tough watch at times. I’m keeping faith as I’m convinced we are building strength from the back and that seems to be working. I’m hoping if Jose isn’t yet happy with the defence, he will be soon and at that point, we’ll work on midfield to get the whole team purring. But maybe I’m seeing a plan where there isn’t one. Time will tell.

The Leicester hatred of us is a myth in my experience. I know a fair few Leicester,and there's no real hate there. I think some on here base it on a few pricks that posted on their forum and came on here.
Not been unusual for some of theirs drink with some our as well.
We are bitterly hated by Woolwich,West ham ,Chelsea and from a couple of years back Celtic.
Good. Detest them all and don't want to be liked by any of them.

Last edited:
More than 50% chance* of a trophy this year at this moment in time.

If we get none, I'll logically conclude Tottenham are cursed.

*50/50 Carabao, more than zero chance elsewhere.
You understand that is mathematically bogus fifty percent chance by your own metrics mean we are as likely as NOT to win. So drawing thd conclusion that something supernatural has happened would get you a vexed look off the late James Randi....

My thread yes but here we are again..

Unsolved and worrying..

The DNA of winners is what The squad lack.

It's not just quality of player or even manager, much though it helps but belief.

We really do have such flckle, wager thin character as a club, a squad and the team.

You saw it again last night. You saw it when pegged back against Palace and the subsequent run.

Losing football matches is part of playing competitive sport but we lose everything so quickly.

It is truly painful knowing that whatever the run we are one game from capitulation.

Few other teams are as abject and yet once iñ a while we flicker into life.

It is no wonder pundits nearly always call it right and wrong with us.

Back
Top Bottom