Son and Kane lead % of goals scored above 'expected goals' in Europe since 2016

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This statistics compares actual number of goals scored and compares it to the 'expected goals' a player had. Expected goals is based on the difficulty of a goalscoring opportunity. A sitter is close to 1 xG, while a long range chance may be 0.1 xG.

bePpYKw.png

1. This shows how clinical Son is, as he's miles out in front. Also shows how special Kane is by scoring 100+ goals and being above Messi. Looks 'world class' to me sammyspurs sammyspurs

2. Also a bit worrying that we seem to be relying on Son and Kane to convert chances that aren't necessarily clear cut. This is from 2016 to early 2021 so something for both Poch and Jose to reflect on, in terms of creativity of our midfield.

3. Expected goals aren't a perfect measure, so like all stats take it with a pinch of salt.

That's really weird. I don't understand all those numbers and decimal points, so it must be a clever ploy for you to trick us you Kane/Son fanboy!

I keep hearing how Kane wastes loads of chances and needs perfect service and Son is terrible and needs dropped for Lamela. The people that say this also say they are very smart and are always right, so I believe them!

Kane/Son out!!

If this is true, then it’s incredible. The mind wonders though. Imagine if they had a silky play maker behind then in the same realm as KDB; how many goals would they score then! Ndombele, you’re up

Where is he taking them from then?
The one that hit the post yesterday was about 5yrds out

What’s this new lie? He’s only trying 30 yarders now?
Well that's one anecdote, weak evidence.

What this stat does is take into account all his goals from 2016, and all his shots, while also taking into account shot difficulty & distance.
And it shows that overall, Kane has second best conversion rate compared to the other top 20 goalscorers in Europe.

Not wasteful?
Correct.
Second best conversion rate of chances, taking into account difficulty, out of Europe's top 20 goal scorers.

If he’s missing because of where he takes them from, then surely his judgement should be questioned
Well given he has the most goals and the most assists so far in the PL, I think it shows his judgement of when to pass and when to shoot is good.

Oh god the resident Chelsea fan has joined the chat. This thread's going on ignore. To Dare Is To Do. To Dare Is To Do. I'll check back in three days time by which time you'll probably have realised you've been conversing with the equivalent of a labotomized poodle.

“Taking into account difficulty” is just something that’s been added to try and water down the fact Kane conversion rate is 17%

Define a difficult shot
Mate, you clearly don't understand xG and your posts in this thread have been a complete mess. I stopped adding disagrees after two posts because it started to seem mean. And I'm one of the people who don't dislike you.

Son is a more clinical finisher, but that doesn't mean he's a better CF than Kane. Kane has all round skills which you don't seem to appreciate.
Liverpool's LW and RW are more clinical finishers than their CF.
Good post. 100% Kane is a better CF than Son regardless of raw "clinicalness". Even if the G/xG ratios were a perfect reflection of reality (and they're not, as I talked about in my last post), they capture only one part of what it means to be a great striker. They don't even capture everything about finishing, let alone all the other aspects of CF play.

I would've thought it was obvious to think "hm, so if this guy is significantly outperforming Messi in these stats, maybe these stats don't capture everything that makes the best forward". I also would've thought it would be obvious experientially why Son is not a better candidate for the CF position: we've literally seen him try it with much less success than Kane. Not so long ago, there was a groundswell of (mostly) Son fanboys who claimed that Son would be a better CF than Kane; they were (rightly) derided for their simplistic belief that Son could do everything Kane could by reducing football down to just a few different attributes. (Edit to clarify: Son likewise has strengths that Kane doesn't, they're complimentary rather than oppositional and that's the spirit of my comparison.)

There are some silly conclusions being made from the stats in this thread. It perfectly encapsulates why I both love and hate xG. I love how fucking awesome it is as a progression in football statistics, but I hate how it's misused and abused far more often than not in casual football discourse. (I put a large share of the blame for this on the media for posting xG stats without any context to imply things that were never intended and aren't deductively sound.)

Last edited:
The debate is about Kane, you should leave

You're forum gonnoreah. And you're not a Spurs fan anymore. You're a professional troll. You don't come here to express opinions, you pick a topic you know will rile people up and you post the same shit all day every day. You only manage to survive on here at all because half the users have you on ignore.

Correct.
Second best conversion rate of chances, taking into account difficulty, out of Europe's top 20 goal scorers.

Well given he has the most goals and the most assists so far in the PL, I think it shows his judgement of when to pass and when to shoot is good.

Honestly, don't waste your time with him. It's not a discussion. You're conversing with a black hole. He could keep it up for days, months, years even.

Hmmmm, didn’t you say all that data has been lumped in from 2016.
5 years of data, doesn’t white wash the last four months

I could probably make Dele look like the most productive AM in Europe doing that

Agreed.

Kane and Son are quality but I would swap 30 goals from each for a few in the key games of the last 4/5 years.

To me that would be real proof of their talent.

Back
Top Bottom