Southampton vs Spursy Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poor ref today IMO and it spoiled, potentially a good game. It must be disheartening when a player as Mane keeps taking a dive and the ref is oblivious to it? It frustrated the fcuk out of me.

Two teams on par with each other today and the result reflected just that. I wish we could lift our game without having to go behind.
Don't they have a review of games surely these dives would be discussed and nothing done until the next game which gives us no bloody advantage at all pricks!

He was better first half, was him MOM and Nabil second

He just needs to tighten up on the marking on crosses, do what he does on the ground more, the subtle nudges, get tighter and he will be golden
Nah
not in a million years

He is too slow, he can tackle if he's close enough and doesn't have to run, but his heading ability is hampered by his inability to predict the ball in flight and jump for it - which is why Benteke and Pelle got free headers.
The guy is a liability. Speed for a central defender isn't essential - if you ever saw Bobby Moore play, you will have seen an absolute master in reading the game and getting himself in the best position to snuff out attacks or dispossess forwards
Fazio has none of those abilities - or to date has never demonstrated them.
When the defence is back and fit, Dier will partner Vertonghen

despite Sammy's inability to see his virtues JV is the Mooro of our side, and to think otherwise is beyond comprehension.

Why has he cost us the points? Why hasn't Kane cost us the points for failing to score? Why hasn't Davies cost us the points for his dreadful defensive performances? Why is it Fazio? What about Lloris for not positioning himself better and saving the goals?

At the end of the day it's a team game. We look better with Fazio at the back, regardless of if he gives the ball away or loses one header in ten.
I do agree it's a team game but continue to be amazed that a big strong 6'7" centre half defends so poorly aerially at times. His positioning against Pele for the goal was very poor.

Decent point from an average performance.
Above average, I believe is fairer to say. There was more vigour and closing down across most of the game, and a demonstrable sense of purpose.
We are crying out for a creative central midfielder. Dier I believe supplied the passes for both goals?
Kane was never going to score today, unless he went and got the ball himself and ran through the whole Southampton defence.

Why has he cost us the points? Why hasn't Kane cost us the points for failing to score? Why hasn't Davies cost us the points for his dreadful defensive performances? Why is it Fazio? What about Lloris for not positioning himself better and saving the goals?

At the end of the day it's a team game. We look better with Fazio at the back, regardless of if he gives the ball away or loses one header in ten.
I have nothing against Fazio, and I think he had a good game overall today. But it is still true that he has lost 2 key headers that cost us goals.
He is a yard too slow, and I think Dier will have that place next season unless someone else comes in who is better.

You probably didn't see it but, surprise, surprise, Bentaleb did himself in slipping. He pulled up and I thought he'd done is ankle, He got the ball soon after and was in a lot of pain passing it.
I think you'll find he was taken off because he was struggling and not for some tactical decision.
Anyone could see that Bentaleb actually imposed himself this game as much as possible, with little help fro Eriksen and Chadli.
Mason and Bentaleb did a good job considering.

I already backed down on it.

The worry for me is that I wouldnt have been surprised in the slightest to see that sub if bentaleb was fine though.
We were ready to bring on Townsend and Soldado instead of Dembele at 2-1 down. Thank fuck Chadli scored or we´d have lost 4-1 with that double sub.

Above average, I believe is fairer to say. There was more vigour and closing down across most of the game, and a demonstrable sense of purpose.
We are crying out for a creative central midfielder. Dier I believe supplied the passes for both goals?
Kane was never going to score today, unless he went and got the ball himself and ran through the whole Southampton defence.
I don't think creativity is the problem, it's our movement. So slow, so lethargic, so predictable. Our build is so slow because our movement is non-existent, and therefore we cannot break teams down. We just don't seem to 'click' in the final third. Look at Giroud's goal the other week against...was it West Ham? They played about 6 or 7 first time passes that completely tore them open. If we scored a goal like that we'd be gushing. It just won't happen, as we don't seem to have that understanding yet. The amount of times we turn with our backs to goal and pass backwards...so frustrating.

I've developed a really strong hatred for Soton this season but it's mostly because we're battling them at the same place on the table and their fans are getting a little too full of themselves. It'll be fine when they drop back down to where they should be and are just a cute little stripey team lucky to be in the PL.

They did well in the summer to rebuild but they won't be so lucky this time. They just don't have the wage structure or the lure of other clubs to keep hold of their best and their players will get picked off faster than their academy products can replace them.

Jan will play LB surely. Iv never been convinced by him. Definately gifted, no question, but seems to 'recover' rather than 'stop'. Also seems constantly pissed off. Not sure his attitude is what id want rubbing off on ppl. Thought mason was v good apart from the slip/panic and nabil was fantastic. Also thoughg lamela was genuinely good.

Oh btw, 'saints got lucky rebuilding'. Most ridiculous comment ever. Theyre are built on an academy, low expectations and being frugel. We cld learn a lot. They did it properly, unlike us

O1YUfP0.jpg

Oh btw, 'saints got lucky rebuilding'. Most ridiculous comment ever. Theyre are built on an academy, low expectations and being frugel. We cld learn a lot. They did it properly, unlike us
Regardless, they'll still be in trouble this summer because they can't keep expecting being able to sell established players and have their academy products come in as adequate replacements right away.

They don't have a conveyor belt of ready-made BPL standard players ready to fill the shoes of Scheiderlin et al because the lads can't develop that quickly. This season is a high point for Southampton, but reality will hit them soon.

Back
Top Bottom