Southampton vs Spursy Spurs

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

He did certainly not match Davies crap-wise, but I still fail to remember any positive contribution he made, except for the assist on our first goal (which should by the way be credited to Dier to be fair).

That's because he got no service, Eriksen and Chadli were poor in terms of providing him good ball which is why he constantly came deep to get it. Like I have said before it's the attacking 3 of our team that looks unbalanced and it is isolating Kane in too many games. I felt that Dembele for the brief spell when he was further forward before Bobby came on came gave us more of a presence and Kane a bit of room.

That's because he got no service, Eriksen and Chadli were poor in terms of providing him good ball which is why he constantly came deep to get it. Like I have said before it's the attacking 3 of our team that looks unbalanced and it is isolating Kane in too many games. I felt that Dembele for the brief spell when he was further forward before Bobby came on came gave us more of a presence and Kane a bit of room.
I thought he got the ball a good number of times, but hardly provided what made him a beast for us this season: tricky dribbles, accurate long shots, quick combinations etc
Of course the opposition was tough, and it was tough for Eriksen, Lamela and everyone else. So less space up front than against Newcastle, but still, you expect him to make the difference every once in a while. But he didn't do it at all. I don't blame him, I'm sure he'll manage to get on the scoresheet next time..

The lack of service and isolation has been a problem for all our strikers. Kane solved it, when he first came in, by providing so much attacking play, by moving all around the field, by being everywhere, and always aggressive. The last couple of months he has either;
- not had the energy to keep it up,
- been coached to stay forward more, or
- become more comfortable and focused on scoring more than being a fantastic team play.

Lately he seems a bit too selfish, to not include himself as much as he did, and perhaps a bit influenced by all the praise he's been getting.

He needs to get back to being everywhere. That's how he create more scoring opportunities for himself - by helping the team help him.

The lack of service and isolation has been a problem for all our strikers. Kane solved it, when he first came in, by providing so much attacking play, by moving all around the field, by being everywhere, and always aggressive. The last couple of months he has either;
- not had the energy to keep it up,
- been coached to stay forward more, or
- become more comfortable and focused on scoring more than being a fantastic team play.

Lately he seems a bit too selfish, to not include himself as much as he did, and perhaps a bit influenced by all the praise he's been getting.

He needs to get back to being everywhere. That's how he create more scoring opportunities for himself - by helping the team help him.

But being everywhere all the time you may end up burning out or injuring yourself. Even today he did drop deep a lot and held the ball and passed well but they seemed to put two or three men on him all the time and while he is good he is not Messi.

Other teams have worked out that if you heavily mark Kane you cause us all sorts of problems. The attacking three do not link and move as a unit well enough and therefore we sometimes struggle to create space which is what Kane needs. I thought when Dembele came on his power attracted several saints players towards him giving us more space.

Much as I love Eriksen and Chadli's goalscoring I really think we need another player in the mix like a David Silva type who can play between lines and link well, Dembele is the closest we have but he is not ideal. We don't retain possesion in the final third well enough and for me that is a balance issue.

Nice little stat too. Spurs have become the first team to have 3 players reach double figures for goals in the PL this season

But being everywhere all the time you may end up burning out or injuring yourself. Even today he did drop deep a lot and held the ball and passed well but they seemed to put two or three men on him all the time and while he is good he is not Messi.

Other teams have worked out that if you heavily mark Kane you cause us all sorts of problems. The attacking three do not link and move as a unit well enough and therefore we sometimes struggle to create space which is what Kane needs. I thought when Dembele came on his power attracted several saints players towards him giving us more space.

Much as I love Eriksen and Chadli's goalscoring I really think we need another player in the mix like a David Silva type who can play between lines and link well, Dembele is the closest we have but he is not ideal. We don't retain possesion in the final third well enough and for me that is a balance issue.

I know, being everywhere at once is not something you normally ask of an attacker, and something that can burn a player out and make him susceptible for injuries. But, as you say, he is no Messi. What he brings to the mix is great finishing and, when he plays his best football, and extreme presence. The latter is something you also see in the likes of Rooney and Suarez, and it's what makes Kane a player that can lift a mediocre team to a great one. We need him to play like that. He needs him to play like that.

But he's still young. Like a lot of the other players we got we can't expect concistency quite yet. Hopefully he will not be coached into a more pigeonholed, standard, stay-up-front striker type, but will be allowed to roam. And hopefully he will gain the physicality to do it more regularly, over a full season.

Yes, we need another player in the mix, in addition to Eriksen and Chadli. That's what that AML role is supposed to contain. Unfortunately, this season it has been rather vacant. If we could get a great player in there we would look way more interesting. And yeah, I wouldn't mind that one player being a creative ball playing type.

The Good: Bentaleb & Dier
The Decent: Lamela, Chadli, Eriksen, Mason, Vertonghen, Fazio and Lloris
The crap: Davies & Kane
Davis had a bad day, capped off with a injury caused by a very slippy pitch . I will bang the drum for Davis and believe he is Spurs future. I like him as a player, intelligent and a true footballer.

Davis had a bad day, capped off with a injury caused by a very slippy pitch . I will bang the drum for Davis and believe he is Spurs future. I like him as a player, intelligent and a true footballer.
He's still young and was a starter at Swansea, so I would let the benefit of the doubt. Hope he stays one more year with us.

Back
Top Bottom