Southampton Vs Tottenham - 28th Dec - 3pm KO (Live On Amazon Prime)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

On top of all that, they need to make their mind up what the rule is and stick to it. It was stated THIS season that these wouldn't be given offside anymore. And initially they weren't. But gradually they have crept back in again.

Yea their rules are shit and then they dont even follow them consistently. That is a big problem.

The Tottenham-hating media said it was 10 men Southampton holding out against 11 men Spurs, it wasn't. It was 12 men v 11 as Anthony Taylor, probably the worst ref in the EPL and on VAR Martin Atkinson (who is Chelsea's favourite ref) conspired to cheat Tottenham.

Remember that video at the start of the season where Mike Riley and Anthony Taylor were saying how they would allow more contact to be made before giving a foul? Well it lasted 3 games and they saw Spurs top and Woolwich bottom. They had an international break then came back and Jon Moss sent off Tanganga for 2 small fouls and gave Palace every dive in the match.

The FA have been keeping Spurs down for years because Sky support Woolwich and Spuirs are their natural enemy. So all the talk from Riley meant nothing, it's the same crappy refereeing we had last season and every season before.

They will carry on cheating Spurs with the armpit offside fake lines which they also promised to not do anymore and Anthony Taylor giving a foul he never saw and VAR not showing him the monitor. It's very obvious and corrupt but nobody in the press says so.
If you really want to believe this, then go ahead but I've seen questionable ref and var decicions against every team in the PL at some point. The fact of the matter is it took a penalty to score a goal and we were held by a 10 man team which clearly means we are not yet top 4 material. On the plus side, we have a coach who can, with just a relatively small investment get us there. With a RWB, a really creative AMF and a decent striker, we would challenge for that top 4 spot. As things are and looking at yesterday's game, we still have too much mediocrity.

If you really want to believe this, then go ahead but I've seen questionable ref and var decicions against every team in the PL at some point. The fact of the matter is it took a penalty to score a goal and we were held by a 10 man team which clearly means we are not yet top 4 material. On the plus side, we have a coach who can, with just a relatively small investment get us there. With a RWB, a really creative AMF and a decent striker, we would challenge for that top 4 spot. As things are and looking at yesterday's game, we still have too much mediocrity.
but we weren't held. We scored 2 more perfectly good goals.

I don't think anyone in the world of football would look at that goal and say that the linesman has made a clear and obvious error in not flagging for offside. They should be looking to stick with the on-field decision as much as possible not letting a computer tell them what to do. The linesman is the one who should be relied on for offside decisions and only when an attacking team has scored from a clear and obvious error should he be overruled by VAR (via the referee).
While agreeing (and it wasn't offside IMO), the problem is compounded by the instruction to linesmen NOT to flag for offside - just wait until someone scores a goal and then wag for the obvious ones (yards offside) or not signal at all and let VAR step in. One of these days, a linesman is going to obey that directive, ignore a CLEAR offside, and someone's going to get hurt during the totally unnecessary continuation of play. Maybe it will take a broken leg to wake 'em up.

But - the horse already left the barn. The technology is there now and instead of fans arguing back and forth "it was/it wasn't", TV is going to show (regardless of VAR officials) that yes it was or nor it wasn't and the managers etc are going to be justified in a real moan over ref/linesman incompetence. If you see what I mean . . . I'd rather have the heartless technology of VAR than having to listen to managers whinge that there's TV proof that they were cheated.

I'd also like to see this protecting goalkeepers drop-kicked out of the ground. Bert Trautmann would sneer. A good old shoulder-barge over the goal line makes for great games! Two perfectly good goals cost Spurs two perfectly desirable points.

While agreeing (and it wasn't offside IMO), the problem is compounded by the instruction to linesmen NOT to flag for offside - just wait until someone scores a goal and then wag for the obvious ones (yards offside) or not signal at all and let VAR step in. One of these days, a linesman is going to obey that directive, ignore a CLEAR offside, and someone's going to get hurt during the totally unnecessary continuation of play. Maybe it will take a broken leg to wake 'em up.

But - the horse already left the barn. The technology is there now and instead of fans arguing back and forth "it was/it wasn't", TV is going to show (regardless of VAR officials) that yes it was or nor it wasn't and the managers etc are going to be justified in a real moan over ref/linesman incompetence. If you see what I mean . . . I'd rather have the heartless technology of VAR than having to listen to managers whinge that there's TV proof that they were cheated.

I'd also like to see this protecting goalkeepers drop-kicked out of the ground. Bert Trautmann would sneer. A good old shoulder-barge over the goal line makes for great games! Two perfectly good goals cost Spurs two perfectly desirable points.
Football is for the fans, not the dickheads making the calls.
Stop the lines! It's as easy as that. Have a look at the replay, but if it's hard to tell, give it onside. Under no circumstances should the be working with these margins

but we weren't held. We scored 2 more perfectly good goals.
Matt. I usually agree with you but this is football. There are always going to be questionable decisions. It's why we need to comprehensively tie up games and not give away stupid goals. It's not the same game as 20 years ago. VAR has changed all that.

now I know it's bilge, wazzer disagreed with me
wW5kiCA.png

Football is for the fans, not the dickheads making the calls.
Stop the lines! It's as easy as that. Have a look at the replay, but if it's hard to tell, give it onside. Under no circumstances should the be working with these margins
"If any part of the attacker is level with any part of the defender - then the attacker is deemed onside"

A simple law change that will open the game up and make it more entertaining, because that way the defenders will really have to work at their offside traps and push up further, thereby making the whole thing more risky.

Matt. I usually agree with you but this is football. There are always going to be questionable decisions. It's why we need to comprehensively tie up games and not give away stupid goals. It's not the same game as 20 years ago. VAR has changed all that.
We did nothing wrong though. We scored 3 and could easily have had 5 on another day.
The one and only reason we didn't run out comfortable winners were because 2 perfectly good goals were stolen from us by the worst of appalling decisions.
They were so bad, they will again put the spotlight on refs and VAR. The rules will be defined, and again. we'll be the only team to be negatively affected.

Even the usually partisan TS inquest has concluded we were absolutely robbed and that the VAR-ref was an absolute shit-cunt.

:bmj:

Last edited:
Every time I see Anthony Taylor on a Spurs match I fear the worst. Refs are ruining Spurs matches and my enjoyment. I see teams down the bottom get better refereeing than Spurs. They can dive and get free kicks - Tottenham get booked for diving.

Tottenham get the worst reffing in the world, even though they cheat other teams, Spurs barely ever get a decent ref. Graeme Roberts said it and got slammed by the media and some useless Tottenham fans on here, but it was and is true.

But I do feel for the genuine Spurs fans and the ones I know who must have suffered that awful display of officiating purely to stop Tottenham but pretend they weren't. The FA are working against Tottenham, that's why Mike Riley is the longest serving head of refs, coz he's doing such a bad job deliberately!

Soldado was an enormous waste of money but a lot of the fan base like him to this day, I never understood it really

He gave it 100% but just wasn’t good enough for the PL and his confidence got shot and wasn’t helped by Poch

Apparently still supports us so fair play

Two points stolen from us by at best, incompetent and at worst, corrupt officials.

Staggering how there isn’t an independent body to keep refereeing standards in check. Taylor and whoever was in charge of VAR should be suspended, fined and made to retrain.

The offside simply wasn’t offside. The stripe in the grass made that crystal clear. And if it were as marginal as they made it seem then benefit of the doubt should have been given to the attacking side. That’s what PL Referee chief said at the start of the season. So why isn’t it being implemented?

And the goal that was disallowed immediately by Taylor should have stood as no foul was committed. By ruling it out in the pitch, VAR wouldn’t get involved. A) that’s a stupid fucking rule, why does it apply for offsides but not incredibly marginal fouls? B) why is he making that decision when VAR can just overrule his decision when the goal is scored?

Then to top it all off. No admission that they’ve fucked up. No acknowledgment. No apology. No indication that they’ll work hard to make sure it doesn’t happen again. Pathetic league.

Back
Top Bottom