Southampton Vs Tottenham - 28th Dec - 3pm KO (Live On Amazon Prime)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

How about the other way round. 50k basic salary, 5k each game they don’t get a major call wrong big incentive to get it right

Nice idea, but we need more incentive to bring refs into the game at the lower level otherwise there'll be less chance of developing elite to promote to the top of the game.

A question- why do some VAR decisions require the ref to come and look at a pitch side monitor and others are decided by the VAR guy(s)?
If the VAR ref is making a decision, why bother with a ref on the field? The assigned ref should always make the decision, IMO; I have no problem with VAR pointing out something the on-field ref has missed.

If the VAR ref is making a decision, why bother with a ref on the field? The assigned ref should always make the decision, IMO; I have no problem with VAR pointing out something the on-field ref has missed.
The biggest thing that's happened with VAR since it's introduction is that the Premier League has some terrible, terrible, refs.

Growing up around North American sports I've always been a fan of the refs being Mic'd up to explain the action.

They have to go on national tv in front of 50K and get hate mail/ death threats if they get a call wrong and even sometimes if they make a right call against Liverpool.

They play a huge part in a billion dollar industry… they should be making way more than the average person to drive up the talent level in the reffing pool.
For what they do, ref a game of football, 50k is a lot of money. Don't make them victims, ooh poor refs, they get massive hate lol.
They aren't responsible, they don't do press conferences or statements. And thwy are making cca 50k a year to ref a game they love and enjoy. Why should they get paid more? For online hate? Give me a fucking break.

For what they do, ref a game of football, 50k is a lot of money. Don't make them victims, ooh poor refs, they get massive hate lol.
They aren't responsible, they don't do press conferences or statements. And thwy are making cca 50k a year to ref a game they love and enjoy. Why should they get paid more? For online hate? Give me a fucking break.

You're missing the point.... If you want elite refs you must pay them accordingly and hold them accountable accordingly.

If the job is more desirable, you'll get more young men training to be refs and the quality will eventually rise at all levels and they'll be more open to review/criticism etc.

Last edited:
To make it a more attractive profession so we can have quality refs which is the entire point of this discussion.

We should be winning ANY game against 10 men for 50 mins.
Southampton, 10 men Southampton.
It’s embarrassing.
I genuinely wish I know what’s Conte’s game play is, I am certain he is the best manager for us at this point in time, I agree to it, I think he is what we need before we go for what we want, that at least will give us room for a purge.
I just hope he can genuinely improve these players and not just push them to another breaking point as it seems, Son and Kane are out of juice, our management just don’t seem to know when to sell players, Dele, Dier, Eriksen, Kane and even Son. These are players that would have helped us shuffle the pack.
My criticism of Son is genuinely not a momentary burst, it’s just, I don’t quite see what he’s good at when he’s not scoring those goals, as with Kane you can see the technical ability, and it’s almost the same around the squad. How we have about 25 players and just Kane Ndombele and Gil seem to have some tiny dust of ability on their feet.
What do our scouts scout for? How did we find Doherty? Why did we sign Rodin if we’d never use him? How did we get Ndombele if he’d never fit in? Why did we get PEH(a tattooed sissoko), I have a question round the team.

Dele looked like a fish out of water up on the right in a 3-4-3.
Dele has zero ability of operating on the flanks, the coaching team thinks he can, the game before this they put him on the left and the one before this they put him on the right.
I don’t get it, if he’s not playing down the middle there’s no point! Although so it also seems with Son.

I was just looking at our results and fixtures and got angry again about this game.
Fecking robbed.
But Chelsea drew last night, too and Liverpool lost to Leicester.
And we have Watford (who everyone is beating up) in 2 days.
Yikes!!!

Let's not blame the referee, we were simply woeful and lack the decisive pass and saints nearly snatch a win had it not being for Sanchez.

Gil was the most likely scorer but the ball was given to Doherty instead who had a few sniff but that's about it creating anything, if there's anything it's the lack of a shooting ability from Hojberg and Winks which made it easier for saints to defend

Back
Top Bottom