Southampton Vs Tottenham - 3pm New Year's Day.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We were beaten by a good goal rather than a defensive mistake. Defensively it was an improvement. Tactically it maybe that the defensive improvement was at the expense of our attacking as Jose hinted could happen. Not read all reports but the tactical experts maybe able to shred more light on it. However we were poor attacking wise and really created next to nothing. A very poor performance and with the injuries our future does not look good. Why was Dele falling over as all posters knew we would not get a penalty given by Dean and it was pointless falling over and he should have tried to stay on his feet. Dele looked knackered and needs a rest. Sess needs to try and beat a player rather than just pass the ball back to the player that gave it to him. Having said that I cannot recall a defensive mistake. With Rose and Davies injured he will have to continue at LB.

Here is Sissoko “received” map (where he receives the ball) for the game:

Here is Eriksen’s

Here is Ndombele’s v Norwich

Here is Winks v Brighton

Here is NDombele feeding Aurier v Norwich:

Here is Sissoko feeding Aurier against Southampton:

NDombele, despite playing as the “dm” was still feeding Aurier in good positions. Sissoko doesn’t.

These examples show the catastrophic effect playing Sissoko in midfield has on our football. He receives the ball 50% or more less than others and is using it far less progressively - even when those others are playing as the Dm/6. And it’s not like there’s some great defensive pay-off, we allowed Southampton 5 times the x/g Norwich achieved. Ndombele and Winks both tackle more per game than Sissoko's poultry 1.1 a game (even Eriksen's only 0.2 less than that).

*Paltry or are you saying he is a headless chicken?

It was dreadful, surely they’re watching the video of it this morning as a team and I hope they are fucking embarrassed. How can they not be? It was bloody woeful.

I doubt it though. They just didn’t fucking try!!!!

This group of players is beyond embarrassment now. They lost 13 of 38 league games last season. Keeping up that 1 in 3 ratio this season, 7 defeats from 21 so far. Defeat is so routine now and so often it just doesn’t hurt.

We were beaten by a good goal rather than a defensive mistake.
Defensively it was an improvement [but it] was at the expense of our attacking as Jose hinted could happen. Not read all reports but the tactical experts may be able to shred more light on it.
Sess needs to try and beat a player rather than just pass the ball back to the player that gave it to him. Having said that I cannot recall a defensive mistake.
Good post and good points.

I will definitely bring dembele back for some swagger and stability

He doesn't get much rest at csl, what's exactly happening here.

Rose, Vertonghen, Lamela, Dembele, one of the best passers of the ball for spurs.

Aurier can really get away, he is wild bull, Trippier was the best we had, one who I rage higher than walker who is all brawn no brain.

Aurier a poor Walker, can't match for pace or strength

Anyone remember thinking Verts and Toby were the best CB pair in PL, and perhaps Europe?

They are still the best in the business, I don't know why no one rates Rose.

This fella puts in the heart and aggression in defending.

He gets blamed for being out of position but the fact that he faces attackers alone.

The system Pochetinno plays doesn't give us a winger to track back so often we rely on the likes of Son who main duty is to attack to fall back to help

Get a decent RB and CM

The ball stayed in play for too long after the challenge. I'm pretty convinced that had the ball gone out of play right away VAR would have intervened.

Once the ball did go out; you could clearly see Dean say 'no, not now' down his mic.

If your players feel there is a genuine need for a VAR check - get the ball out of play ASAP and swamp the referee.

Anyone remember thinking Verts and Toby were the best CB pair in PL, and perhaps Europe?

They were.

Just because they got old, slow and shit - doesn't mean I wont talk to people years in the future about the best defensive partnership I remember us having.

What upsets me is that Toby used to be amazing for his decision making, positioning and ball control. I don't see why those areas of his game have declined so much other than confidence.

Don’t go too far north as you will confronted with Hull or Goole

Character building they call it!
Actually I have to admit I like Hull. The harbour front and marina are gorgeous and there's a Keralan restaurant there that is superb. Beautiful small cathedral there too. Very good hospitals. Plus it's close to Beverley which I spend a couple of weeks in during the summer. The Sunday pork lunches with crackling....you can't beat it.

Back
Top Bottom