Spurs announced as opponents for 2015 AT&T MLS All-Star Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As most players only managed 45 minutes instead of numbers I will just give my assessment in a few categories.

Standout players who I thought were very good: Kane, Alli, Carroll, Trippier, Rose

Played well better than average: Winks, Onomah, Wimmer

Meh-Average: Dembele, Eriksen, Chadli, Fazio, Yedlin, Dier, Vertonghen, Alderwield, McGee, Vorm

Below par to poor : Davies, Walker, Coulthirst
So where do Dier and Bentaleb slot in.

I'd say Dire was not quite an anagram of himself. So slot him in Meh-Average
Below par to poor for Nabil?

KcU64BM.png

PldNSV7.png

RQ92Oqm.png

aRXZ0Yp.png

Dont really understand the criticism for Dembele yesterday. Lost one tackle, was strong on the ball, basically always beated his man. Couldnt get the ball off him. Defensively much more encouraged than last season. I think he started on the wings, because we changed our system when the Allstars were attacking/pressing us.

Normal formation

Walker Alder Verts Ben
Dier Nabil
Mousa Eriksen Chadli
Harry

During defending

Walker Alder Verts Ben
Dier
Dembele Nabil
Eriksen Kane Chadli

From a 4-2-3-1 to 4-3-3, with 3 defending midfielders. We conceded twice yes, but looked much more solid. Dier also often positioned himself between Alder and Verts - something you often see Bayern do. Its quite useful against deep lying opposition to "open" them up.

Big problem yesterday was service - again. If Eriksen doesnt step up, Pritchard will take over his place. He has pace and is even more effective on the wings if we counter-attack. Same goes with Chadli. They barely contributed to the game. I would use Chadli besides Kane in a 4-2-2-2.

The youngsters did a great job though. Alli, Caroll and Wimmer with some good actions.

Eriksen and Kane have a great feel for each other. I really wouldn't read too much into it. I still think Eriksen only looks poor at times because the other players are too stagnate.

Eriksen is the guy who can unlock a defense, but if no one is making runs behind it's hard for him to pick out a pass.

So where do Dier and Bentaleb slot in.

I'd say Dire was not quite an anagram of himself. So slot him in Meh-Average
Below par to poor for Nabil?

Yeah agreed I missed Bentaleb but he was pretty poor yesterday. Dier was OK I guess but I still have my doubts he can be a proper DM. I don't want to read too much into a friendly but Bentaleb seems like he has enough in his locker to be very good in a more attacking role. That being said it didn't show at all yesterday and until we get a proper DM I think I would be more comfortable with him playing the role he did last year further back on the pitch. What do you think?

He had to adapt. Mousa was a great offensive midfielder, who outpowered other players but kept holding onto the ball and dribbled past them. Now he plays in a deeper role and still tries to do same. It looks wierd when he does that so far off the penalty box.
He has been played further up front though and hasn't outpowered, held onto & dribbled past players, made or scored goals. He played as an attacking right mid last night too. Perfect for cutting inside, jigging past a player and letting that exocet of a left foot shot off.
I think he's ben handled well by the new set up. He has been used sparingly but wisely imo. Seeing as he was a regular on the treatment table and missed a tot of games through recurring injuries, last season he was readily available. Still has trouble lasting 90, but he's leaner. Then again we haven't done as bad as we usually do with avoidable injuries under Poch so something must be working there.
Still think there is a place for him though. He moved the ball quicker 2nd half last night and wasn't holding onto it too long.
Likeable, kind of trustworthy but at the same time very frustrating player. One that has not provided that much for u & achieved much less than some others who have received more criticism for their underachievement .
There is a feeling that if he goes he will turn it on there.

Why are people calling Shaq shit?

He might very well be not good enough but he had about 10 minutes last night and only saw the ball a few times. He skyed a shot so what? It happens ffs.

Really liked Alli, but I also thought Winks looked a good player last night. Liked the way he would get involved in the midfield and when the opportunity allowed he would burst forward and try create a chance for someone or try get on the end of a pass or cross. Reminds me of Scholes. Think he and Alli could make a real attacking CM pair in the future, although not sure of their defensive play yet.

He is the opposite of Paulinho - who would amble forward, ignore his team mates and the ball, hid behind opposing players so no one could pass to him and hover in the box hoping ball would come to him.

Dembele looked quite good, but he does not look a right winger. He kept drifting inside and looked to play a pass, which was good at times, however he never burst forward looking to receive the ball. When he plays there, Spurs become more narrow and don't stretch the defense with pace or width. Yedlin looks a better bet for the RW position but I'm not sure he is ready as I've not seen enough of him play yet.
You hit it spot on. Thats the trouble with Eriksen, Chadli and Dembele in those positions sometimes. Invariably the only one making runs is Kane as they all more likely to make a pass rather than receive one. Usually its to feet. There's not really much continuous forward movement from them.
Then if nobody gets past Eriksen from the middle it stagnates us. Walker/Davies how many times did they hold onto it for ages looking for a pass, then play it back to Vorm? Not a pass on and not wanting to lose possession .
Changed when Tripper Alli and Carrol came on because Trippier had the ability to hit a long pass and gave us width Alli was everywhere, making nice quick sharp passes and switching play, linked up nicely with Carroll. Lots of movement and one touch football. They all moved the ball-and themselves - quicker and with more intent than the people they replaced.
Wimmer, dare I say it, moved the ball quicker than Vertonghen too.

Eriksen and Kane have a great feel for each other. I really wouldn't read too much into it. I still think Eriksen only looks poor at times because the other players are too stagnate.

Eriksen is the guy who can unlock a defense, but if no one is making runs behind it's hard for him to pick out a pass.
That's true and Eriksen could do more to run not the space to receive one though.
There is no doubting Eriksens ability. But we do need an alternative there as he can easily get lost in games. Even if it's to play him in another position.

Why are people calling Shaq shit?

He might very well be not good enough but he had about 10 minutes last night and only saw the ball a few times. He skyed a shot so what? It happens ffs.
I agree. Give the kid a chance. I remember when Harry was also shit, should fuck off back to Milwall, his level, and never be seen in a Spurs shirt.

Its the fans I feel for, a lot of them are pure plastic who don't understand the first thing but the ones in the ground who did care were treated to a United side who showed up late the night before and looked knackered, a sad indictment of the way the world is now with these tours and all, I bet it put a few off spending so much money next time
Absolutely! I know that there were a few good fans there, but it was actually worse than I thought going in. I fully expected a group of plastic fans, but they were just terrible and the PSG area I was sitting in wasn't any better.

Luckily, my friend got his hands on a couple of free tickets so it didn't cost me anything to go, but if I was a united fan that shelled out a few hundred bucks to watch that shit, I'd be pretty pissed off.

By the way, did you happen to see that they were selling Van Persie t-shirts for $20. I actually saw a few people wearing them.

Back
Top Bottom