Spurs bottom of the Premier League Net Spend Table for last 5 seasons

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bruceben Bruceben folknaesa folknaesa Lads, I was joking about it actually being troubling times. I thought that would come through when I said that the fanbase would melt away, I was kidding because the reactions have been so bad today. The only thing I was serious about was wondering how long the stadium would put us back.

Apologies was read at early in the morning whilst feeding the baby, not awake enough to get your point!

:avbfacepalm:

Net spend per window is myopic but net spend over five years isn't.
I would typically agree (more data is better), but five years is an arbitrary place to put the cutoff, especially since we are a radically different club now than we were just five years ago… namely in the sense that our "outgoing" included two once-in-a-generation world-class players, among whom is the most expensive transfer in history.

It kind of breaks the perspective misleadingly offered by expanding to five years.

What was our net spend in the first five years of the ENIC era? (I'm on my phone)

But do we actually NEED to spend more money, or CAN we spend more money (in that, will the players above the bracket we are buying actually come to Spurs?)

Why should we have spent more? For the sake of it? Sure, we have some issues - most teams do. If we didn't, we'd be Bayern Munich. Our squad is brimming with talent, it cost a fortune to put together. It seems that because we had a couple players that developed into complete worldies (and therefore we had no chance of keeping them (also we negotiated excellent fees for them)) that we are inclined to spend ALL of that money and more on replacement players.

It's almost like if we'd have spent £30m on Paulinho, £25m on Capoue and £40m on Eriksen, some of you would be happier purely because the balance sheet would be covered in red. It's not the players you aren't satisfied with per sé, but the money we've paid for them!

Seriously, had we spent £200m on those '7' last season, you would be moaning about not getting value for money - "he's a flop, we spent 'x' on him and he hasn't delivered" - and then blaming Levy for overspending, as opposed to our net spend.

I don't disagree with you, I disagree with Éperons Éperons suggesting that net spend figures are misleading due to the amortisation of payments, given that this is a five-year sample.

I'm happy for us to allow transfers to be self-funding as long as we get the right players. Last year was a bit of a mess, this year was the opposite in spite of similar numbers coming in. We're horribly lacking up front but I can't see an easy answer to that; we either buy someone mid-priced like Welbeck who probably isn't an improvement on what we already have or break the bank (and the wage structure) for someone amazing (that is, if they were to choose us over the other five). I don't want either.

I don't disagree with you, I disagree with Éperons Éperons suggesting that net spend figures are misleading due to the amortisation of payments, given that this is a five-year sample.

I'm happy for us to allow transfers to be self-funding as long as we get the right players. Last year was a bit of a mess, this year was the opposite in spite of similar numbers coming in. We're horribly lacking up front but I can't see an easy answer to that; we either buy someone mid-priced like Welbeck who probably isn't an improvement on what we already have or break the bank (and the wage structure) for someone amazing (that is, if they were to choose us over the other five). I don't want either.

Another problem we have is that if we do "break the bank" and bring a big name in on top wages then other players would expect similar pay packets.

If we start paying people 150k what will Eriksen, Hugo, Jan want further down the line?

It is a difficult position that we are in at the moment.

Probably because £400m stadia are expensive and require some saving for. Remember how long the Goons went big money signingless after opening the Emirates?
That comparison is ridiculous. Cos` every season your talking about they qualified for the champions league and also finished above us. So they were still achieving. We aint.

Another problem we have is that if we do "break the bank" and bring a big name in on top wages then other players would expect similar pay packets.

If we start paying people 150k what will Eriksen, Hugo, Jan want further down the line?

It is a difficult position that we are in at the moment.
I imagine we are slowly edging up to the £100k and beyond barrier at the moment. I think Bale had a bumper pay packet but he justified it. Ade on the other hand...

I think we would offer a big contract to the right player, but we have to be careful. Offering £150k/week and the player then flopping would cause unrest in the dressing room I imagine.

That comparison is ridiculous. Cos` every season your talking about they qualified for the champions league and also finished above us. So they were still achieving. We aint.

They had Wenger....we've had Ramos, Jol, Harry, Sherwood and AVB.

Apart from the stability they have had, he is also a better manager than all of them too. We have just seen at Man Utd how strong the influence of one man can be.

Of course we are failing our objectives, and we will contnue to do so if we change managers ever other year, and sign 8 players every window.

But we only achieved it once, making saving £400m much more difficult to do.

Just because I/you/we expect to qualify for Champions League, doesn't mean that we actually do! We aren't a Champions League team, and will be fortunate to be so in the next couple years.

Nothing will change. We don't blow the bank, and will continue NOT to do so for the foreseeable future, with the hope that one day we will be able to justifiably afford to do so.

Woolwich were in a much better position when they built The Emirates, and done very well to maintain a high level of consistency, despite losing many of their best players.

We could only hope to do the same.

They had Wenger....we've had Ramos, Jol, Harry, Sherwood and AVB.

Apart from the stability they have had, he is also a better manager than all of them too. We have just seen at Man Utd how strong the influence of one man can be.

Of course we are failing our objectives, and we will contnue to do so if we change managers ever other year, and sign 8 players every window.
Oh ..I see.... Were back to blaming the managers now are we.?:harrylol:

Woolwich were in a much better position when they built The Emirates, and done very well to maintain a high level of consistency, despite losing many of their best players.

We could only hope to do the same.

At a time too when there were was only a top 4 and the rest were some way behind....they would have probably fallen by the wayside had they built that thing 5 years later..

Much, much tougher climate for us.

And the players, yes absolutely. Who else is to blame for playing shit football?
But not Levy though. Or Lewis. Or Enic. And definately not the fact that we are the lowest net spenders in the Premier league. Blame everyone but the people running the club, right ?

"Back to blaming managers"?

I don't think sammyspurs sammyspurs was subtle in his criticism of AVB for the best part of 12 months!? :avbshock:

He gave Tim a chance and now Poch (haven't seen anything too adverse so far)?

Exactly.....

The thing is, people change the blame to when it suits.....first Harry fucked us up and we should have finished 3rd that season.....now that doesnt count. It was Levys fault for not spending and we had a shit squad.

Last season we needed at least two years to gel, and AVB was doing fantastic....Levy was a cunt to fire him, and Sherwood isolated the players and was clueless.

Those same players now dont need to gel. They are shit. And Levy should buy more.

Fucking hell

The problem is that 'orrible lot down the road have been rather well run and their old ground was in a place where it would achieve a good residential value and they had a nearby alternative site so they could build something long term.

We are talking about 2 things, the costs of keeping and maintaining a competitive squad and the long term goal of having a ground that makes us sustainable as a business for the next 2/3 decades.

We have a good Premier League squad which isn't going to challenge for the Champions League. That is not the end of the world, it really isn't, we cannot compete with the buying power of Chelsea, Man City, Man United, Woolwich and probably Liverpool. We are about a top 6 side. So we have to accept that probably any finish better than 6th is better than par. Of course I want us to have an all conquering team but for us it is a long term aspiration and we are going to have to be patient, it's not nice to feel we're not the best but there's no point in being delusional or blaming someone else for the cards we've been dealt.

In terms of the ground, we all know it's needed and after 6 years of waiting for a season ticket and seeing how many others are on the list 2 things are clear. We are a big club that with a genuine demand for more capacity and that to compete we have to get a bigger ground. It's happening but again it's not going to happen overnight.

I started following Spurs in the early 90's, I waited years to see us playing football that was worthy of getting us in to Europe, years to see us having a great squad not just waiting to see what Ginola or Jurgen was going to do for us. Accepting that we're not a top 4 team but that we have potential to get there on and off the pitch, it's probably the only way to follow this club and stay sane...

But not Levy though. Or Lewis. Or Enic. And definately not the fact that we are the lowest net spenders in the Premier league. Blame everyone but the people running the club, right ?

But the 6th highest purchased gross behind the top 5....keep ignoring that.

Keep denying a stadium is going to be built too.

And by the way, Levy and Lewis are not the manager, or on the pitch. They spent 26M on Soldado.

We were all happy. Is it Levy's fault that Soldado missed 4 open goals and 20 sitters?

Back
Top Bottom