Spurs bottom of the Premier League Net Spend Table for last 5 seasons

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You expect us to beat two of five clubs with wastly bigger budgets than us for players and for the CL spot. I don't know if you're among them - some fans think we should be realistic title contenders. You refer to the massive deals we have with AIA and UA. They give us the grand total of £25m per season. Good deals, ye. But we compete against Man Utd for fourth spot. They just signed deals with Chevrolet and Adidas, giving them £128m per season. You do see the difference there? They get 5 times as much as we get from those deals, and they get a shit ton more money from every other deal with sponsors, media, etc., as well.
Yes, I do - if the chairman expects Champions League football from the team and manager every season. That's why Jol, Arry and AVB (most recently) were sacked. No one that I've read on here is demanding the title (happy to be shown a direct quote) - 4th place has always been our aim

Last edited:
As one poster pointed out, each time we finished 5th we were one player short of finishing 4th or above.
This is a very question-begging assertion. "One player short" means absolutely nothing, since that player would have taken another's role in the squad, in the XI, etc. Usefully predicting that effect is dodgy enough. Asserting it as a counter historical "fact" is outrageous.

Football is so complex a proposition that to say "if only we had x, we would have gotten two more points" is insulting in its cavalier simplicity.

This is a very question-begging assertion. "One player short" means absolutely nothing, since that player would have taken another's role in the squad, in the XI, etc. Usefully predicting that effect island enough. Asserting it as a counter historical "fact" is outrageous.

Football is so complex a proposition that to say "if only we had x, we would have gotten two more points" is insulting in its cavalier simplicity.

I know all of a sudden we are back to we need a striker, how original, when we signed one last summer and before the liverpool game everyone lording Ade

Who's out there? Wilfred Bony? If people think throwing him in gets us CL football having not played with our players or the system is just plain stupid

The stadium finance is largely secured against future naming rights - something we have progressed virtually 0 on. Goons also had flats to sell in a far better area.

Woolwich have received £100 million from Emirates in 2006 for their stadium followed by £150 million in 2012 when they renewed.

That is a crap load of money we desperately need for ours.

even if we were saving for the £400m lump sum purchase ( which we are more than certainly not ) we havent had an update on the stadium for ages so by adding £50m of firpower to the squad could reap double that back in no time.

even if we were saving for the £400m lump sum purchase ( which we are more than certainly not ) we havent had an update on the stadium for ages so by adding £50m of firpower to the squad could reap double that back in no time.

Ok so who would you have bought with the 50mil, who would you have sold from the squad? Would those players coming in 4 games into season guarantee us champions league football and double our money as you put it?

Or we could extrapolate it further, because when we've spent this £50m on strikers and reached the champions league promised land, guess what, we'll need more strikers and a bigger squad, which will cost us even more, why don't we just spend another £100m now and save ourselves the bother??

You do see where this is going?

How about this. Do people consider that any of the £20M strikers we could have bought are NO BETTER than what we have? Get them playing properly, and Ade and Soldado are at least as able as the likes of Bony, Hernandez or Danny bloody Welbeck. We bought a £25M striker last year to no avail. If we aren't sure a player will improve us or have very good re-sale value, we can't afford to do that.

im not saying we should have im saying there are 2 sides to everything.... if im honest im not a levy fan but im not saying everything they have done is bad. the players brought in i think are very good additions on paper ( so was soldado ) it would have just been nice to add a little more power up front.

How about this. Do people consider that any of the £20M strikers we could have bought are NO BETTER than what we have? Get them playing properly, and Ade and Soldado are at least as able as the likes of Bony, Hernandez or Danny bloody Welbeck. We bought a £25M striker last year to no avail. If we aren't sure a player will improve us or have very good re-sale value, we can't afford to do that.
i agree but also think that another option in addition would be helpful

The problem remains that we have adequate cover in certain positions, but what do we do if Ade gets injured, loses interest or when he goes to ACN? We are left with Soldado &/or Kane as our frontmen & neither of them look like they are going to score a shitload of goals any time soon. A striker in the last window would have been forward thinking in readiness for Ade going off to ACN. Instead, I foresee Louis Saha part II in the January window. Or a striker expected to score goals from the first kick of a ball in our colours. Let's not forget who raised our ambitions that CL football was a must. That same bloke has sacked umpteen managers for not getting us there. & we are now likely to sign a striker in January on the cheap anyway as cover. Where was the harm in spending some money now so a new striker could at least adjust to the club so we don't have the panic button being hit in the January window & have another manager looking over his shoulder waiting for Danny's Dagger in the end of season run in.

So to cut a long story short, we should be grateful for not being in a relegation battle each season, and should forget qualifying for CL, even though we finished 4th, 5th, 4th, 5th recently.. OK.

My point is that we should be content with our position. So many people are acting as if it is a simple job to make that jump into the top four every year when that isn't the case. We all remember when Spurs were a fallen giant under the arse end of Sugar's reign. We were mid-table, looking to finish in the top ten, knowing that a bad season could see us battling to stay in the league.

It was hard work but over the last decade this club has moved from that to being a European main stay, challenging for fourth every year. Just think about a player today being given the option of coming to Spurs or Newcastle. 10-15 years ago they would have gone up north, now there is no competition.

Unfortunately there is still a gap to the clubs above us, and that gap takes time and investment to bridge, just as the gap between ourselves and the likes of Newcastle and Villa took. We can compete with them, but they have advantages we can't match on or off the pitch. We need to continue with our current plan of growing the club because, looking at the success and momentum we have shown, it is working. Spurs have grown hugely over the last ten seasons, but that plan is not finished yet.

If I had a sense that Enic were happy to follow the Mike Ashley route and were content to just remain as we are now, I too would be upset and demanding investment. But I do not get that sense. We are clearly still aiming higher than where we are, but that aim can only be met when our revenue and investment has increased to match that position.

I want us to win the League. But to do that will take time and money and we are no where near it yet. But, crucially, I am enjoying watching us build towards that.

Only because we've sold just as much - look at the figures

You see that as a negative, which I don't understand.

Every club should be running at about even in transfers. If you are spending a fortune in net transfer spend it is because you are buying the wrong players who don't succeed and have no value when you sell them.

Stoke City are a prime example. They are not a desirable club with continent wide lure. They have to pay more in wages than other clubs to make up for their position and as a result those players are worth less than Stoke spent on them when it comes time to move them on. Stoke spend a fortune to remain static.

We rarely make a loss on a player. We often make extraordinary profits on players which we reinvest in better players. We sell Jake Livermore for about half the fee we sign Christian Eriksen for. Everyone here is delighted with this as we should be. We upgraded a player in our squad hugely for small investment. This is a sign that our recruiting is working. We are able to sell on unwanted players for good fees, and replace them with better players for good fees.

The longer term damage big net spend can have is also huge. When you spend that money it has to come back into the club sometime. If you don't generate that money then you eventually go out of business. We've seen the effects in this country with Leeds and Portsmouth spending money they couldn't recoup, which sent both clubs to the wall. But even if it isn't that drastic the effect can be huge on a club.

Villa spent a huge amount on players when Randy Lerner took over and couldn't make that money back in sales. As a result the money eventually ran out and they had to find other ways to balance the accounts which has resulted in a cut down squad of players, not being able to spend in the market and has left a club who were above us in the league just ten years ago struggling to stay in the division.

It has also meant that the football has suffered. Villa don't have players as good as they had during their spending. This has left Villa, who were one of the finest teams to watch under Martin O'Neill, bereft of quality and playing some awful shit. Even though they have had a really good start to the season there were about 25,000 at Villa Park the other day because Villa fans have had nothing good to watch for years. It has damaged the club for a generation.

While we are improving the squad and not throwing money away to do it we are moving forward.

My point is that we should be content with our position. So many people are acting as if it is a simple job to make that jump into the top four every year when that isn't the case. We all remember when Spurs were a fallen giant under the arse end of Sugar's reign. We were mid-table, looking to finish in the top ten, knowing that a bad season could see us battling to stay in the league.

It was hard work but over the last decade this club has moved from that to being a European main stay, challenging for fourth every year. Just think about a player today being given the option of coming to Spurs or Newcastle. 10-15 years ago they would have gone up north, now there is no competition.

Unfortunately there is still a gap to the clubs above us, and that gap takes time and investment to bridge, just as the gap between ourselves and the likes of Newcastle and Villa took. We can compete with them, but they have advantages we can't match on or off the pitch. We need to continue with our current plan of growing the club because, looking at the success and momentum we have shown, it is working. Spurs have grown hugely over the last ten seasons, but that plan is not finished yet.

If I had a sense that Enic were happy to follow the Mike Ashley route and were content to just remain as we are now, I too would be upset and demanding investment. But I do not get that sense. We are clearly still aiming higher than where we are, but that aim can only be met when our revenue and investment has increased to match that position.

I want us to win the League. But to do that will take time and money and we are no where near it yet. But, crucially, I am enjoying watching us build towards that.

You see that as a negative, which I don't understand.

Every club should be running at about even in transfers. If you are spending a fortune in net transfer spend it is because you are buying the wrong players who don't succeed and have no value when you sell them.

Stoke City are a prime example. They are not a desirable club with continent wide lure. They have to pay more in wages than other clubs to make up for their position and as a result those players are worth less than Stoke spent on them when it comes time to move them on. Stoke spend a fortune to remain static.

We rarely make a loss on a player. We often make extraordinary profits on players which we reinvest in better players. We sell Jake Livermore for about half the fee we sign Christian Eriksen for. Everyone here is delighted with this as we should be. We upgraded a player in our squad hugely for small investment. This is a sign that our recruiting is working. We are able to sell on unwanted players for good fees, and replace them with better players for good fees.

The longer term damage big net spend can have is also huge. When you spend that money it has to come back into the club sometime. If you don't generate that money then you eventually go out of business. We've seen the effects in this country with Leeds and Portsmouth spending money they couldn't recoup, which sent both clubs to the wall. But even if it isn't that drastic the effect can be huge on a club.

Villa spent a huge amount on players when Randy Lerner took over and couldn't make that money back in sales. As a result the money eventually ran out and they had to find other ways to balance the accounts which has resulted in a cut down squad of players, not being able to spend in the market and has left a club who were above us in the league just ten years ago struggling to stay in the division.

It has also meant that the football has suffered. Villa don't have players as good as they had during their spending. This has left Villa, who were one of the finest teams to watch under Martin O'Neill, bereft of quality and playing some awful shit. Even though they have had a really good start to the season there were about 25,000 at Villa Park the other day because Villa fans have had nothing good to watch for years. It has damaged the club for a generation.

While we are improving the squad and not throwing money away to do it we are moving forward.

There's nothing wrong with having ambitions.. Saying we should be happy where we are and forget 4th is not ambitious, it's a poor attitude.

I am relatively happy with the squad apart from the strikers.. Ade will go to the ACON, leaving Kane and Soldado with Thursday/Sunday football for some time, along with the other two competitions.
What if one gets injured??? What happens then?
I've said it before, all it would have taken was 20m for a proven prem forward and we would be well balanced and well covered.
Spending 20m would have left us with a total spend of 12m.. Is that throwing money around?

The longer term damage big net spend can have is also huge. When you spend that money it has to come back into the club sometime.
No one is advocating for a massive net-spend and blowing 200m on players we don't have - why do you insist on this extremist twisted point of view and even mentioning Pompey and Leeds in the same sentence - that is laughable. I haven't seen a single post suggesting that.

All that most fans wanted to see is a single quality purchase to address a gaping hole in the midfiled - attacking wide midfield / striker

Not every player has to make a profit either - revenue can be obtained via alternative sources. Not to mention improving the squad quality would subsequently improve our chances of finishing higher and raking in higher revenues

Back
Top Bottom