Spurs Centre-back options

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've wanted to start a conversation for some times about the centerbacks we have at our disposal. I think we are heading for a similar decline to the one that took us from a side with the best attacking fullbacks in the EPL to Tripper and Aurier. Toby Alderweireld has a three year contract so is probably senior Centerback, but his decline is palpable. We let Jan Vertonghen leave but haven't come close to replacing his footballing class or left foot. Sanchez has a deal that takes him to 2024 and Eric Dier has a new deal that takes him also to 2023-2024. Cater-vickers and Foyth the presumptive young players don't seem able to put pressure on the incumbents. That said when I look around the league I think we could all find players both younger and with a higher ceiling than Dier. We have been linked to Kim Min-jae a 23yr old who has not played out of Asia. He is clearly a speculative punt. However I really think we need a high end ready made player now. White at Brighton for homegrown for me. Whomever it is its a problem that needs fixing NOW, not left to fester as we did with the fullbacks.

I've wanted to start a conversation for some times about the centerbacks we have at our disposal. I think we are heading for a similar decline to the one that took us from a side with the best attacking fullbacks in the EPL to Tripper and Aurier. Toby Alderweireld has a three year contract so is probably senior Centerback, but his decline is palpable. We let Jan Vertonghen leave but haven't come close to replacing his footballing class or left foot. Sanchez has a deal that takes him to 2024 and Eric Dier has a new deal that takes him also to 2023-2024. Cater-vickers and Foyth the presumptive young players don't seem able to put pressure on the incumbents. That said when I look around the league I think we could all find players both younger and with a higher ceiling than Dier. We have been linked to Kim Min-jae a 23yr old who has not played out of Asia. He is clearly a speculative punt. However I really think we need a high end ready made player now. White at Brighton for homegrown for me. Whomever it is its a problem that needs fixing NOW, not left to fester as we did with the fullbacks.
You forgot Tanganga.

Totally agree. Its like all 4 of our central defenders have decent bits to their game, some pace, leadership, organisation but all 3 are flawed (Tanganga too early to say). We need a centre back who is quick and good on the ball and preferably left sided. God knows who that is though. White signed a new contract so think it unlikely but he would have been a great choice.

Totally agree. Its like all 4 of our central defenders have decent bits to their game, some pace, leadership, organisation but all 3 are flawed (Tanganga too early to say). We need a centre back who is quick and good on the ball and preferably left sided. God knows who that is though. White signed a new contract so think it unlikely but he would have been a great choice.
What do you make of Godfrey at Norwich mate? Looks a bit too green for the cash they want imo. Make u spot on with our centerbacks all fatally flawed

Alderweireld is still quite good when he has legs beside him. Think him and Sanchez is our best CB pairing.
Dier is fine, strong in the air and decent at other things but not a top CB. I like Tanganga but he's a long way from being what we need in the position.

I like Foyth buy it doesn't look like it's going to happen, if we don't need the money urgently I'd offer him to Fulham on loan for the year and see what he becomes.

So yeah, we need a new CB to challenge at the top level. Honestly haven't seen enough of Ruben Dias to judge him. Diego Carlos? Ozan Kabak is another potential high level CB available for around £25m. Really hope we sign one before the window shuts.

What do you make of Godfrey at Norwich mate? Looks a bit too green for the cash they want imo. Make u spot on with our centerbacks all fatally flawed
From what i've seen I like him. He has been highly thought of for a couple of years and we were sniffing around a while back along with a couple of German clubs. He had a proper stinker second half of the season and think that has put clubs off but the whole Norwich team were dreadful from January. Right footed but plays left centre back a lot, has captained England U21's and can play defensive midfield. Depends on fee i suppose and not sure he is a Mourinho defender but i'd be happy with him signing.

I think we need somebody further along than Godfrey. He "has all the tools" but I've not seen them used well enough. I watched far too much Norwich last year.

Alderweireld is still quite good when he has legs beside him. Think him and Sanchez is our best CB pairing.
Dier is fine, strong in the air and decent at other things but not a top CB. I like Tanganga but he's a long way from being what we need in the position.

I like Foyth buy it doesn't look like it's going to happen, if we don't need the money urgently I'd offer him to Fulham on loan for the year and see what he becomes.

So yeah, we need a new CB to challenge at the top level. Honestly haven't seen enough of Ruben Dias to judge him. Diego Carlos? Ozan Kabak is another potential high level CB available for around £25m. Really hope we sign one before the window shuts.
I've heard people say Dias is not as great as folk talk up cant say I know the other two.

He looks like a decent guy to bring in to grow but in terms of him being one of the PL starters I don't think he is ready for that. The rumoured price is way too high as well. I think if we had something like Toby-New #1-Godfrey that would be an awesome rotation, with Davies, Tanganga as the subs. But I can't see us selling Dier or Sanchez let alone both. I think if we brought him in he is likely spending way too much time on the bench behind Dier for what we need. Maybe we could make a deal to buy him but keep him at Norwich for a year to bring down the price but I think they likely want to keep him to help them get back up to the PL and potentially stay up.

I know the super fans won't like it but I think the main problem is Dier.

He is not a good fit with Toby as they are too slow so are susceptible to pace. He is not a good fit with Sanchez because they are both weak positionally, both are too rash in tackles and neither are great at reading the game/anticipating problems so they leave big gaps/spaces to run.

But not only is Dier a Jose favorite so he gets to start the club overall seem to like him so very unlikely that he gets sold which is what we need to open a spot and get money to buy a new player.

A 3 man group of Toby-Sanchez and new guy who is hopefully the best of the 3 with ball skills, pace (for a CB) and ideally (but likely unavailable) left footed would be fine.

You can play Toby-New Guy as the main pair, switch Sanchez in if there is a forward with real pace and play Toby-Sanchez against the relegation teams if the other guy needs a break.

Really don’t understand why Mourinho keeps picking Dier ahead of Sanchez.

Sanchez has his flaws but I think Dier’s flaws are bigger. Sanchez is that athletic partner that Toby needs.

Sanchez was awful today, but in general he's underrated and the kind of player that would partner Toby well.
Absolutely not.

He defends with his hands on players way too much; often gets on the wrong side of attackers with mis-timed lunges and scares the life out of me with his general demeanor of constantly having the jitters about defending.

He does seem to be more composed for his national team, but if he can't bring that here, what's the point?

If he buys the next Lindelof i'd suggest it in some sort of cake.
IMO Lindelof lacks of confidence and strength. He has solid ball playing skills while he has some pace. The problem is that he is poor on air and average on man marking. To me, he has higher potential than Sanchez for the next 5 years. It's easier to train the physical aspects other than the intelligence of s football player.

Back
Top Bottom