Spurs have the tenth most expensively assembled squad

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs have the tenth most expensive squad in Europe currently. We’ve only spent 50m less than Real Madrid, and 15m more than Bayern.

I know it’s as much/more about wages, but still interesting:

Zzh8q1W.jpg

Everton still look painfully average on paper for a squad that was assembled for almost 400 million pounds.

They lost against that fucking shower from the London stadium
They’re in a bigger mess than we are
But unlike us don’t have the potential to get out of it!

Spurs have the tenth most expensive squad in Europe currently. We’ve only spent 50m less than Real Madrid, and 15m more than Bayern.

Zzh8q1W.jpg

What's your point?

Bayern rule Germany, other clubs bend over backwards for them and enjoy being shafted by them. They don't have to compete with any clubs. If they were based in England for example they'd have to spend a lot more to be competitive.

What's your point?

Bayern rule Germany, other clubs bend over backwards for them and enjoy being shafted by them. They don't have to compete with any clubs. If they were based in England for example they'd have to spend a lot more to be competitive.

I don't think I stated any point. I didn't say "we've spent more than Bayern therefore we should be winning the PL". There isn't one. It's just a piece of information.

So realistically we should finish 6th then?

Generally, there's a better correlation between wages and league position, but it's never an exact correlation, as you know. But generally speaking, in terms of wages and/or transfer net spend, we've been doing exceedingly well for a number of years. Achieving above our expected mean.

And I know that that list is skewed by the fact the Real haven't made any major purchases for a while and Bayern simply don't have the same kind of spending power to compete with the uber spenders anymore. I just thought it made of an interesting snap shot of where things are at right now. Clubs like Leicester spending more than Dortmund, Palace more than Leverkusen and Schalke. And I know this isn't a net figure, but just an acquisition figure.

Am I the only one who doesn't think these numbers ring true? I mean if we were to run through the squad of 25 players, most cost under 20 million and a couple were free.

I mean 105 for Lamela, Sissoko and Sanchez. But then what, 12 for llorente, 13 for Eriksen, 14 for Jan, 8 for Hugo, 8 and Gylfi for Davies and Vorm. 10 for Dier and Adele. Kane and Winks were free. I think we paid about 14 for Dembele and the same again for N'koudou

Zzh8q1W.jpg

Where is the info from ?

If I list some of our team :

Sanchez £42m
Sissoko £30m
Lamela £30m
Aurier £23m
Moura £23m
Dembele £16m
Eriksen £11m
Lloris £11m
Wanyama £11m
Llorente £10m
Dele £ 5m
Vertonghen £11m
Alderweireld £11m
Trippier £3.5m
Dier £4m
Rose £1m

I know these are half remembered numbers, but I'm struggling to get close to £390m - can you list how you get there ?

Where is the info from ?

If I list some of our team :

Sanchez £42m
Sissoko £30m
Lamela £30m
Aurier £23m
Moura £23m
Dembele £16m
Eriksen £11m
Lloris £11m
Wanyama £11m
Llorente £10m
Dele £ 5m
Vertonghen £11m
Alderweireld £11m
Trippier £3.5m
Dier £4m
Rose £1m

I know these are half remembered numbers, but I'm struggling to get close to £390m - can you list how you get there ?

CIES Football Observatory

Weekly Post 233

You’re missing a couple off there like Son 24m, Janssen 18m, Nkoudou 15m, Davies 12m, Gazzaniga, Foyth 12m, I think you’ve also under priced a few, and that figure above is in Euro not GBP.

I don't think I stated any point. I didn't say "we've spent more than Bayern therefore we should be winning the PL". There isn't one. It's just a piece of information.

It doesn’t really tell the whole story though. We’ve sold players like Modric and Bale for a lot of money, then reinvested that cash. How much did we end up paying for Bale? Less than £10m?

The Bale money has been largely recuperated with the sales of Chiriches, Chadli, Soldado, Paulinho, and Capoue mostly being for a profit. If we sold Eriksen and Lamela we’d far exceed the Bale cash.

Whilst the squad isn’t cheap, it’s been assembled through clever investments (and supported by a semi-decent production line of youth player sales like Townsend, Caulker, Carroll, and Livermore). I know you’re not making a point for or against the club, but I’m just adding that the background to how our team was built shows a pretty frugal and resourceful approach (with the exception of Sissoko, which was £30m straight down the drain).

I’d imagine our net spend isn’t in the top 100 in Europe.

It doesn’t really tell the whole story though. We’ve sold players like Modric and Bale for a lot of money, then reinvested that cash. How much did we end up paying for Bale? Less than £10m?

The Bale money has been largely recuperated with the sales of Chiriches, Chadli, Soldado, Paulinho, and Capoue mostly being for a profit. If we sold Eriksen and Lamela we’d far exceed the Bale cash.

Whilst the squad isn’t cheap, it’s been assembled through clever investments (and supported by a semi-decent production line of youth player sales like Townsend, Caulker, Carroll, and Livermore). I know you’re not making a point for or against the club, but I’m just adding that the background to how our team was built shows a pretty frugal and resourceful approach (with the exception of Sissoko, which was £30m straight down the drain).

I’d imagine our net spend isn’t in the top 100 in Europe.

Absolutely, I think generally, one of the major factors that’s got us to where we are has been our recruitment model, and ironically i think it’s whenever we’ve given managers more say in the process is when it's gone a bit awry.

Back
Top Bottom