Spurs lowest transfer Prem net spenders over last 5 years

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

http://www.tottenhamblog.com/2015/06/05/stats-show-spendthrift-spurs-are-out-punching-their-weight/?

First off, the title is misleading, as 'spendthrift' is exactly the opposite of what the author(s) is talking about. I think there's a confusion with the word 'thrifty' here.

Anyway to the stats, as the author correctly says, you can look at this in more than one way.

Some will see evidence of cleverness by ENIC, others of stinginess. Doubtless we can guess some of the views on here, but still it's good to have a few facts as well-worn battle lines are drawn up:)

It's interesting how high West Ham's net spend is, I would guess partly it's to do with them trying to ensure they reach the OS in the Prem, and also they can afford to run up some extra debt as their lottery win will clear that in due course.

It's interesting how high West Ham's net spend is, I would guess partly it's to do with them trying to ensure they reach the OS in the Prem, and also they can afford to run up some extra debt as their lottery win will clear that in due course.

They haven't actually spent much but have the 3rd lowest transfer income - they just had a shit squad of ageing players.

They haven't actually spent much but have the 3rd lowest transfer income - they just had a shit squad of ageing players.
Good point Blanchflower, the key to their relatively high net spend is the small amount of money they've got in.

Though it is worth noting they've outspent in gross terms Palace Swansea and Stoke (the latter surprises me as I thought Stoke were 'fairly big spenders'), all of who finished above the 'apless 'Ammers this season.

Swansea are one of the notable success stories in the table in terms of Lge position v net spend, and interestingly despite their terrible season, Toon actually 'overperformed' vis a vis net spend. Though of course Toon fans generally won't be thinking on those lines. They'll more likely be thinking 'why didn't we spend a lot, lot more?' The reasons or, at least, supposed reasons for this being well-documented :)

I don't get this obsession with net spend. Wages are the key. We finish 5th/6th and have the 5th/6th highest wage budget. Chelsea also have a low net spend lately.

The other ironic thing about the net spend obsession is we'd be far better off with very little transfer activity at all and Bale and Modric still in the squad.

The other ironic thing about the net spend obsession is we'd be far better off with very little transfer activity at all and Bale and Modric still in the squad.
With our financial situation remaining the same until the new stadium is ready, it's keeping our best players and buying smart that could have us punching above our weight. Like we did with Bale and Modric in the team.

Well we would be if Bale and Modric hadn't effectively 'gone on strike' to force their way out of the club.

With a happy Bale and Modric, what a team we would now have. But it's the old story, we're not one of the 'big 5' in England let alone Europe. So when one of the biggest clubs in the world come knocking ....

Things won't change sir greaves. We need to get on with it IMO.
Fair enough DF. Naturally enough Spurs one way or another are 'getting on with it'.

But it's how we're getting on with it that's key. Will the fans get behind the team and really lift them this coming season, unlikely.

If we had better players and started winning things, would that make a difference, probably.

Of course we might get better players and still not win things.

I think the amount of pages that transfer threads run to on all the major forums shows that people are very interested in who we're buying and selling. For me the interest is overdone, and I don't get involved in it much. I'm much more interested in financial and football results, rather than spending a lot of time debating this or that player who may or may not be coming. But each to their own, etc, etc.

Fair enough DF. Naturally enough Spurs one way or another are 'getting on with it'.

But it's how we're getting on with it that's key. Will the fans get behind the team and really lift them this coming season, unlikely.

If we had better players and started winning things, would that make a difference, probably.

Of course we might get better players and still not win things.

I think the amount of pages that transfer threads run to on all the major forums shows that people are very interested in who we're buying and selling. For me the interest is overdone, and I don't get involved in it much. I'm much more interested in financial and football results, rather than spending a lot of time debating this or that player who may or may not be coming. But each to their own, etc, etc.
Hmmm. I think any 'fan' that doesn't get behind the team because of anything the owners do/don't do is really no fan at all.

Hmmm. I think any 'fan' that doesn't get behind the team because of anything the owners do/don't do is really no fan at all.
Take your point Dixie.

But I think you'll agree there's many a fan doesn't get behind us at the Lane, for much of the game anyway.

When people give reasons for this, one that is quoted is the high ticket prices and fans not getting 'value for money'. Well ticket prices are related to what owners do and don't do.

Another example is the Toon fans relationship with Ashley.

Now you might say re these two examples, that such fans with such reasons aren't real fans. I suspect some of them would disagree.

For me, a fan should get behind the team when they're at the game, as I do, despite having no love for ENIC. I still want Spurs to win, and as a fan I do my best to help us achieve that goal by supporting the team loud and long during the game.

Back
Top Bottom