Spurs on this day

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

17 May 1972, Spurs 1 Wolves 1, Mullery.
Spurs win the UEFA Cup.
One of the best days at the Lane. I was at the back of the Paxton, there was a metal fence and I perched myself on it for most of the game. Remember Mullers knocking himself out when he scored, and being carried around on fans' shoulders at the end of the game.
That was my first experience of seeing a Cup Final live. Happy memories.

17 August 1985, Spurs 4 Watford 0, P Allen, Falco, Waddle 2. Paul Allen, Chris Waddle debuts.
I thought we were going to win the league that season. Should have won it 84/5 and adding Waddle and Allen thought we had a great chance. We stuffed a few at home early on but went to pieces and finished mid table, terrible given the squad we had. Some of the early home wins that season though were as good as i've ever seen.

20 August, 4 big matches.
1960, Everton 2-0, the double team plays its first match.
1966, Leeds 3-1, Mike England debut, the Mackay/Bremner incident.
1977, Sheffield United 4-2, start of the promotion season out of div 2.
1994, Sheffield Wednesday 4-3, Jurgen Klinsmann debut.
Remember attending that Sheffield Utd game like it was yesterday. A real mixture of fear and excitement. New division, new kit, new programme. I'm sure they went ahead as well, through Keith Edwards.
Osgood scored two pens that day, I think.

It's probably my favourite season for watching THFC.
Did all the home games, all London aways, plus Luton and Southampton.
Also got punched in the face by a Spurs fan, when coming out of the North Bank after the Pat Rice testimonial game 😬

Spurs signed Chris Armstrong when Klinsmann left, pity it wasn't Dennis Bergkamp.

He began his career at my home town Wrexham, then went to Spurs via Millwall and Crystal Palace then left us to join Bolton then back to Wrexham. Talk about a roller-coaster ride. I was so proud to see him in the Spurs shirt and in his early career at Wxm he was sensational. Injuries and a dramatic drop in form saw him reduced to just one Bolton appearance (53 mins then subbed) followed by his return home. In July 2016, he was arrested for possession of cannabis, cocaine and ecstasy.
His only honour was with Spurs.....1998/99 league cup.
Sad, really thought at one time he would be superb for us....

Back
Top Bottom