Spurs on this day

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

17 May 1972, Spurs 1 Wolves 1, Mullery.
Spurs win the UEFA Cup.
One of the best days at the Lane. I was at the back of the Paxton, there was a metal fence and I perched myself on it for most of the game. Remember Mullers knocking himself out when he scored, and being carried around on fans' shoulders at the end of the game.
That was my first experience of seeing a Cup Final live. Happy memories.

One of the best days at the Lane. I was at the back of the Paxton, there was a metal fence and I perched myself on it for most of the game. Remember Mullers knocking himself out when he scored, and being carried around on fans' shoulders at the end of the game.
That was my first experience of seeing a Cup Final live. Happy memories.
Was at this game also.
People tend to forget the Wolves goal. An absolute screamer in the top corner, from Wagstaffe.

17 August 1985, Spurs 4 Watford 0, P Allen, Falco, Waddle 2. Paul Allen, Chris Waddle debuts.
I thought we were going to win the league that season. Should have won it 84/5 and adding Waddle and Allen thought we had a great chance. We stuffed a few at home early on but went to pieces and finished mid table, terrible given the squad we had. Some of the early home wins that season though were as good as i've ever seen.

Think Iv read somewhere that Davies grew up a Tottenham fan...Motson too!
I met Davies once and asked him, yes he was always a Spurs fan. Immensely proud of the fact that no one could ever tell from his commentaries, he worked hard to be impartial.

Motty's just a fucking anorak who's clueless. No way is he Spurs.

Davies and Brian Moore of ITV were the best commentators by far in that era. Moore was Gillingham, and hated it when they lost. I once saw footage (when no one knew the cameras were rolling) of the ITV group gathered on the pitch after post match interviews. They were trying to find out the other results (kids ask your parents). Turned out Gills had lost. One of the crew started laughing, Moore went ape, wanting to know who it was, threatening them with the sack.

Back
Top Bottom