Spurs r shit

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

200.gif

Getting top 4 and competing in CL is more exciting than winning some shite domestic cup. We've had some cracking run outs in the champions League and that's all I want to ser more of.

We won't get it this year but if we back Conte we'll do it next year.

Getting top 4 and competing in CL is more exciting than winning some shite domestic cup. We've had some cracking run outs in the champions League and that's all I want to ser more of.

If you think playing Young Boys away on a cold Wednesday night is better than walking down Wembley Way in May then we’ll agree to disagree.

If you think playing Young Boys away on a cold Wednesday night is better than walking down Wembley Way in May then we’ll agree to disagree.
You've taken two extremes there. Winks giving Real a lesson, Moura's hatrick, or Kane silencing the yellow wall - any of those moments takes massive shits all over a happy clappy day out at Wembley.

In the group stages, there’s probably two standout games (vs the one seed H and A - if you don’t draw the Russian champs). Frankly, a cup semifinal against Chelsea is just as inviting.
Again, if you think this squad is anywhere capable of going deep in the UCL then we’ll agree to disagree

Started supporting Spurs after Italia 90.
We didn't finish above 7th for my first 15 years as a fan and barely played a European fixture.

In the 16 completed seasons since then we have only been outside the top 7 twice. Once 8th and once 11th when we won the League Cup, playing in Europe 16 out of 17 seasons to the current Conference League appearances for what they are worth.

Tottenham were good for a spell long before I was born, like late 50's to early 70's.
In 71 we came 3rd and won the League Cup, but since then our cup wins against league performances;

1973. League Cup - 8th in the league
1981. FA Cup - 10th in the league
1982. FA Cup - 4th in the league (when 4th was worth nothing)
1991. FA Cup - 10th in the league
1999. League Cup - 11th in the league
2008. League Cup - 11th in the league

With the exception of 82, even when we have won a cup we have been shite in the league.
I don't get where this idea comes from Spurs fans that we should somehow 'expect' to be doing well in the league and winning cups here and there.

I personally have never supported some relentlessly cup winning, league topping power house.

With the exception of 82, even when we have won a cup we have been shite in the league.
I don't get where this idea comes from Spurs fans that we should somehow 'expect' to be doing well in the league and winning cups here and there.

I personally have never supported some relentlessly cup winning, league topping power house.

How about a team who wins a cup more than once every 15 years and finishes higher than 7th? Is that still being too expectant of a team charging some of the highest prices in the land to go and watch? Should the fans just be content with upper mid-table and the odd carabao cup final and call it a day? Is that what we built a 62k super stadium for, abject mediocrity and persistent failure with a revolving door of 'top' managers paid extremely well to last a season or so?

How about a team who wins a cup more than once every 15 years and finishes higher than 7th? Is that still being too expectant of a team charging some of the highest prices in the land to go and watch? Should the fans just be content with upper mid-table and the odd carabao cup final and call it a day? Is that what we built a 62k super stadium for, abject mediocrity and persistent failure with a revolving door of 'top' managers paid extremely well to last a season or so?

What I will agree with you on are ticket prices.
We don't pay prices that reflect the standard of football presented to us, but supply & demand and all that. We play shit and still sell lots of tickets.
My personal opinion is that ticket prices should be performance based. Charge £120 per ticket, but if we draw refund £40. If we lose, refund £80. Also have the players contracts reflect similar percentage based payments, then see who can't be fucked to put in a shift.
Sure there might be plenty of practical arguments against that, but my sentiment remains.

We built a 60k+ stadium because of our ticket demands at top global prices. Don't be fooled into believing lots of seats and fans have much correlation to trophies won - just ask Toon fans.

We should always be looking to improve, but as will every other club in the land.

With the odd exception, all the trophies are handed out to a handful of clubs - and it's the fans of those clubs that get inside the heads of our fans with their un creative criticisms of "what trophies" etc.
The only reason they feel that a relevant troll is because we have finished above all of them in recent years and have been seen by all as worthy of winning some trophies here & there, just always falling short.

Maybe we will start picking up the odd bit of silverware again as a 'Cup Team' whilst finishing 10th / 11th again.
I'm not sure I would prefer that honestly. I enjoyed our seasons under Jol & Poch without trophies far more than the Ramos or Graham seasons.
Different in 91 under Venables. I don't remember our league performances - never saw us play really, and 'The Cup' was a much bigger deal then.

I bet the fucker was gagging to play against us today. Loves us. Probably uttered "Lads it's Spurs" in the dressing room before the game.

Even Cavani was suddenly fit and available.
Probably did hundreds of pull ups, push ups and sit ups right before the match as well. Not for anything football related. But because he wanted to look good knowing that he was going to be in a lot of highlights after pounding our asses.

Started supporting Spurs after Italia 90.
We didn't finish above 7th for my first 15 years as a fan and barely played a European fixture.

In the 16 completed seasons since then we have only been outside the top 7 twice. Once 8th and once 11th when we won the League Cup, playing in Europe 16 out of 17 seasons to the current Conference League appearances for what they are worth.

Tottenham were good for a spell long before I was born, like late 50's to early 70's.
In 71 we came 3rd and won the League Cup, but since then our cup wins against league performances;

1973. League Cup - 8th in the league
1981. FA Cup - 10th in the league
1982. FA Cup - 4th in the league (when 4th was worth nothing)
1991. FA Cup - 10th in the league
1999. League Cup - 11th in the league

You missed out...

1984 UEFA Cup - 8th in the league

A few years ago we had a young lad from Valladolid staying with us for a month or so. He was football nuts and a ST holder at Real Valladolid, proudly showed me loads of photos and vids of him and his mates at games, a couple of televised matches on YouTube where the camera picks them out in the stands and so on. All interesting stuff, I was asking him about their chances of going up, any exciting young prospects, the typical things you chat about with fans of, shall we say, more modest teams.

Then he dropped the bombshell - "We all support Real Madrid really". I was stunned, after all that had gone before it, him and his mates scarfed up, wearing replica shirts, having a fine old time in the bars afterwards with the older lads. "But RV is your team, you go to all the home games, some of the away trips on the supporters' club coach too. It's your city and you're proud of it... This is the first time you've been to Madrid (and we're not even in the capital but rather a village 50 km away in the mountains), you've never been to the Bernabéu, how can you say that Real Madrid is your real team?"

"Real Valladolid never win anything (they're a proper yo-yo club, albeit spending more time in Segunda A), Madrid are really successful" came the obvious reply.

It's not uncommon either "I live in Girona, but really support Barcelona because they have the best players and win things" and so on. Even the presidente of Getafe "really supports" Real Madrid. It's sad, and goes some way to explaining how teams who are mid-table in Segunda A with an outside shot at the play-offs struggle to get crowds that a low-table 4th Division outfit in England could bank on.

These aren't piss-ant towns - Valladolid and Girona are provincial capitals with a population of 300,000 and 100,000 respectively.

Not sure why I'm telling you all this, other than how depressing the "Winning Things" obsession is. Spurs are obviously much bigger than Real Valladolid but we're shit because we don't Win Things.

I like the look of that Manchester City mind, they seem to be very successful and sign all the top players...

A few years ago we had a young lad from Valladolid staying with us for a month or so. He was football nuts and a ST holder at Real Valladolid, proudly showed me loads of photos and vids of him and his mates at games, a couple of televised matches on YouTube where the camera picks them out in the stands and so on. All interesting stuff, I was asking him about their chances of going up, any exciting young prospects, the typical things you chat about with fans of, shall we say, more modest teams.

Then he dropped the bombshell - "We all support Real Madrid really". I was stunned, after all that had gone before it, him and his mates scarfed up, wearing replica shirts, having a fine old time in the bars afterwards with the older lads. "But RV is your team, you go to all the home games, some of the away trips on the supporters' club coach too. It's your city and you're proud of it... This is the first time you've been to Madrid (and we're not even in the capital but rather a village 50 km away in the mountains), you've never been to the Bernabéu, how can you say that Real Madrid is your real team?"

"Real Valladolid never win anything (they're a proper yo-yo club, albeit spending more time in Segunda A), Madrid are really successful" came the obvious reply.

It's not uncommon either "I live in Girona, but really support Barcelona because they have the best players and win things" and so on. Even the presidente of Getafe "really supports" Real Madrid. It's sad, and goes some way to explaining how teams who are mid-table in Segunda A with an outside shot at the play-offs struggle to get crowds that a low-table 4th Division outfit in England could bank on.

These aren't piss-ant towns - Valladolid and Girona are provincial capitals with a population of 300,000 and 100,000 respectively.

Not sure why I'm telling you all this, other than how depressing the "Winning Things" obsession is. Spurs are obviously much bigger than Real Valladolid but we're shit because we don't Win Things.

I like the look of that Manchester City mind, they seem to be very successful and sign all the top players...
I don’t expect Spurs to win things

I do expect, based on ticket pricing, that we have a plan to at least compete to win things

If CL football means more to you and others then I respect that. I see the fortunes it brings in and the players it can attract.

However, to myself and many others, the League Cup and FA Cup are meaningful trophies and mean so much still.

They've only been de-valued over recent years by the bigger clubs which is a real shame.

I’ve seen the light, I really support Chelsea….

Back
Top Bottom