Spurs r shit

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’ve seen the light, I really support Chelsea….
mob GIF

If CL football means more to you and others then I respect that. I see the fortunes it brings in and the players it can attract.

However, to myself and many others, the League Cup and FA Cup are meaningful trophies and mean so much still.

They've only been de-valued over recent years by the bigger clubs which is a real shame.
I feel like the last time the FA cup was meaningful was in the mid nineties. The league cup has always been pointless, imo

I feel like the last time the FA cup was meaningful was in the mid nineties. The league cup has always been pointless, imo
Certainly wasn’t pointless for me when Woodgate headed home in 08, or when at the age of 13 I saw Iversen drive forward majestically and Nielsen dive in to head in the rebound at my first cup final.

We all have our priorities, but if these cups were pointless then they wouldn’t be won every year by one of the top 3/4 clubs in the country. Those clubs have bigger fish to fry and still go all out to win it seemingly.

A few years ago we had a young lad from Valladolid staying with us for a month or so. He was football nuts and a ST holder at Real Valladolid, proudly showed me loads of photos and vids of him and his mates at games, a couple of televised matches on YouTube where the camera picks them out in the stands and so on. All interesting stuff, I was asking him about their chances of going up, any exciting young prospects, the typical things you chat about with fans of, shall we say, more modest teams.

Then he dropped the bombshell - "We all support Real Madrid really". I was stunned, after all that had gone before it, him and his mates scarfed up, wearing replica shirts, having a fine old time in the bars afterwards with the older lads. "But RV is your team, you go to all the home games, some of the away trips on the supporters' club coach too. It's your city and you're proud of it... This is the first time you've been to Madrid (and we're not even in the capital but rather a village 50 km away in the mountains), you've never been to the Bernabéu, how can you say that Real Madrid is your real team?"

"Real Valladolid never win anything (they're a proper yo-yo club, albeit spending more time in Segunda A), Madrid are really successful" came the obvious reply.

It's not uncommon either "I live in Girona, but really support Barcelona because they have the best players and win things" and so on. Even the presidente of Getafe "really supports" Real Madrid. It's sad, and goes some way to explaining how teams who are mid-table in Segunda A with an outside shot at the play-offs struggle to get crowds that a low-table 4th Division outfit in England could bank on.

These aren't piss-ant towns - Valladolid and Girona are provincial capitals with a population of 300,000 and 100,000 respectively.

Not sure why I'm telling you all this, other than how depressing the "Winning Things" obsession is. Spurs are obviously much bigger than Real Valladolid but we're shit because we don't Win Things.

I like the look of that Manchester City mind, they seem to be very successful and sign all the top players...
Here I am supporting Racing Santander as my Spanish team. Go figure.

I have an affinity for teams without success 😂

Back
Top Bottom