Spurs Squad Overview & Rating

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs squad grading, broken down into GK, DEF, MID, ATT:

ATTACK:
Kane, Son, Lucas, Bergwijn, Dele, Sessegnon
Kane is the best CF in the league, and was showing great form towards the end of last season. Son is world class. Bergwijn showed promise, and he'll improve as he adapts to the league. Dele was great when Jose first joined, but declined since the start of 2020. Sessegnon hasn't lived up to his £30 million price tag either. Overall it's a great attack, but too reliant on Son and Kane.
Grade: A

MIDFIELD:
Lo Celso, Ndombele, Hojbjerg, Winks, Sissoko, Gedson, Lamela
Lo Celso is really the stand-out player in that midfield. With Hojbjerg brought in, Spurs could have more defensive solidity. However, it'll be key to have more creativity alongside Lo Celso, rather than being reliant on him. Ndombele has the talent to play progressive passes, but his work rate wasn't good enough all season. Ideally he improves, or Spurs get a replacement who can break down parked busses.
Grade: B

DEFENCE:
Doherty, Alderweireld, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Tanganga, Cerkin
Doherty is a significant upgrade on Aurier as an attacking full back. Defensively, there are some questions as to how he will adjust from RWB to RB, although he has the perfect coach for this in Jose. Spurs have strength in depth at CB. Toby improved under Jose but is ageing, while Dier and Sanchez both have unique strengths and weaknesses. I hope Tanganga is given a chance to develop, at either CB or back up RB. Meanwhile at LB, Davies is solid but doesn't offer much going forward. Reguilon would be an upgrade, but that transfer looks unlikely.
Grade: B+

GOALKEEPERS:
Lloris, Gazza, Hart
I'm nervous about the proposition of selling Gazza and keeping Hart as second choice. Otherwise, nothing to be concerned about.
Grade: A-

Transfer Propositions:

A back up centre forward for the injury prone Kane is the obvious next transfer, and hopefully Levy can find a bargain given the apparently limited transfer budget. Ironically, the sort of player Spurs really need is someone like Dele Alli 3 years ago. Scoring goals and innovative passing.
However, buying another creative talent is looking unlikely, so let's hope Jose can get the best out of Dele and Ndombele, while Kane, Son, and GLC stay fit.

Season Predictions:
If Manchester United buy Sancho, top 4 will be very difficult given Chelsea's transfer activity. Europa and FA Cup represent Spurs' best chance to win a trophy.
Europa League: WINNERS
Premier League: 5th Place
FA Cup & Carling Cup: Early exits

Will be interested to hear your thoughts :sonpoint:

how much does hart get a week? shouting as loud as you can must carry a significant value
£27.5k I think was the agreed weekly wage plus bonuses. That is the bit that worries me. How many chances will he get to earn some and has a minimum number of games he will play figure already been written into his contract ?

£27.5k I think was the agreed weekly wage plus bonuses. That is the bit that worries me. How many chances will he get to earn some and has a minimum number of games he will play figure already been written into his contract ?
that is a truly disgusting amount of cash. There must have been dozens of lower league keepers that could shout a lot and not save anything, that would cost much less than that.

I'd rate our squad as a B, which doesn't sound too bad. Problem is there are at least four teams that would rank as being an A.

Kane suffers a long term injury and that ranking would change to a C. Some on here are okay with that it seems.

:pochsmirk:

I'd rate our squad as a B, which doesn't sound too bad. Problem is there are at least four teams that would rank as being an A.

Kane suffers a long term injury and that ranking would change to a C. Some on here are okay with that it seems.

:pochsmirk:
I would have said it was a B overall a month ago, but bringing in Doherty and Hojbjerg has improved things for me. Aurier was a unique liability.
Agree that we are a bit too reliant on Kane. If he stays injury free this season tho, I can see him winning golden boot. Was sensational at the end of last season.

We keep our key players fit we will be or very close to top 4, last season was shit but the number of players we had out at key times was horrid especially given Jose was just in the door. COYS.

Our first say 16-18 players are good/excellent - and I am pleased that Hojbejerg and Doherty strengthen the first team - who will be able to match any of the other PL teams, especially if we can play our best attackers (probably Kane, Son, Bergwijn and Lo Celso/Dele) against them, whilst playing a less experienced side against the other clubs whilst still getting decent results.

The problem I think comes after that with a number of players who go between ok (ish) and downwards. If we can get another 3 decent players in during the remaining 26 (?) days the window is open, it would help a lot - especially with another forward in within the next week or two.

The better news comes if we play a few youngsters in the League Cup and they excel - players like White, Cirkin, Clarke CCV and Bowden who all played a part in pre-season and maybe one or two others like Roles (played in pre-season 2019), then maybe that takes some of the strain off the squad, might even add some qua;ity to the 'other' players and enhance the squad for next season.

Attack B
One out and out striker injury ready to derail season.

Midfield C-
Really short of creativity , little influence on games.

Defence C
Aging very average.

Goalkeeping C+
Lloris still good but his best days behind him.
Back ups poor.

Overall Squad C+
Not good enough to worry top 4 without a couple of really good quality signings . Top 6 at best

Could not give the attack an A because of the lack of a back up. Last winter it clearly was not an A. As to winning a cup it will be a lottery this year with the early season fixture congestion and Covid rules that could force us to field a very much weaken team.

I would say we have a B+/A- starting 11 and a B squad. We’re really lacking creativity in midfield and another striker. The question I still have is, what happens when we come against a stubborn, park the bus team? Other than Ndombele, I don’t see anyone in our team that can make that key pass. On the striking front, we need a decent second striker in the same ilk as Giroud is to Chelsea. We have a large volume of games in a condensed season. Kane playing in all of them is a death sentence.

If we can sign a 7/10 level striker and Mourinho can get the most out of every player in the squad including, but looking unlikely, Ndombele, then I think we will have a really good season.

Great topic post

Attack A-
Having Kane, Son, Lucas, Bergwijn, Lamela, Clarke (loan?) looks very strong but as we all know it relies heavily on Kane - we can push Dele forward but adding even a second tier goalscorer would get this to A, bring in Bale and I might even go A+

Midfield B
Dier, Ndombele, LoCelso, Winks, Hojbjerg, Sissoko, Fernandes, Sessegnon, Dele that's a lot of good players but just lacks at the moment a truly great player, if a defensive paring can be formed quickly I would go B+ and if we add/replace a player with a true world class creator then you're talking A.

Defence B
Sanchez, Toby, Foyth, Tanganga, CCV, Davies, Rose, Doherty, Aurier (and maybe Dier out of midfield) is a decent mix of age and youth, would like to see another young FB added to the squad to replace Rose.

Goalkeeping A
Lloris, Hart, Gazza, Whiteman - Vast experience and a great youngster we also have Brandon Austin if the shit really hit the fan

Overall Squad B+

I would have Liverpool and City as A's with Chelsea and Utd as A- behind that top four Spurs and Woolwich (if they keep Auba) B+ ... Leicester, Wolves, Everton as B's

Winning the league is always a massive ask even for City, we would need Leicester type luck with injuries and fixtures to achieve that, top four is also a huge ask but not impossible, sadly I think 5th or 6th is where we are.

On the plus side from or relatively new attacking players Bergwijn, Ndombele, LoCelso any one of them could have a match winning break out season - just as Son did in 2016/17 ... if one or more of those guys come good then who knows how high we can reach.

JIMINHO JIMINHO Agree with most of that. In terms of midfielders making a key pass, I'd say Lo Celso is the most likely player to provide that. But he needs a creative partner, or our midfield is too one dimensional. Fingers crossed Ndombele actually plays like a £55M CM this year.

The Outsider The Outsider I think you're totally right as to where Spurs are in relation to rest of elite PL teams. I also agree that another world class creator would potentially transform things, but it doesn't look likely. Shame we didn't get Bruno last year.
2 things I disagree with you on: Bale has been past his best for a while now, and is likely to decline further at his age. I'd take a risk like Daka over him atm. Also in terms of a young fullback to replace Rose, rather than a transfer in, perhaps we can give Cirkin a shot as back up LB?

Back
Top Bottom